Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Winner Chosen - Group Read for July 2016

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments What books about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like for the group to read in July?

Two nominations to a person, please.

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group Bookshelf.

message 2: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) The Girl in the Glass Tower by Elizabeth Fremantle- It is about Arbella Stuart, granddaughter of Bess of Hardwick. The mythology of Arbella was born early in the reign of James I but the book should have a good deal of focus on the end of the reign of Elizabeth I.

or

Martyr by Rory Clements- I have had this book on my TBR for so long. I'm planning on reading it this summer anyway but it might be a fun group read.

message 3: by Seth (new)

Seth Margolis | 6 comments My two books are:
First, ELIZABETH'S LONDON by Liza Picard. It is so well researched and so energetically written, you can practically smell London in the sixteenth century, taste the codlings (baked applies) and sheep lungs (no explanation needed), hear the cries of street vendors along Cornhill and Cheapside.

Second [shameless self-promotion alert] is THE SEMPER SONNET by Seth Margolis. A newly-discovered sonnet by Shakespeare holds the key to a long-buried secret about Elizabeth I.

message 4: by Donette (new)

Donette Price butler | 1 comments Struck with the Dart of Love by Sandra Vasoli. I am so excited about reading this and would love to discuss as we all progress in this book.

message 5: by Carly (new)

Carly Tinkler (cat162103) Katherine of Aragon: The True Queen by Alison Weir.

message 6: by Portia (new)

Portia | 29 comments I second Martyr. I have the book and like historical mysteries, so I will read it anyway, but would enjoy sharing the read with the Group.

message 7: by SandiJJo (new)

SandiJJo | 1 comments Katherine of Aragon: The True Queen by Alison Weir. I couldn't wait for it to be released and plan to buy it this week!

message 8: by Portia (new)

Portia | 29 comments I have that book, too, so that's also ok.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 30 comments I had already requested Weir's Katheryn from library. So that's my nomination

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "What books about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like for the group to read in July?

Two nominations to a person, please.

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not..."

I nominate "The Concubine" by Norah Lofts. An EXCELLENT telling of Anne Boleyn's life and death.

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Posner | 21 comments I saw Alison Weir on Tuesday and got a signed copy of Katherine of Aragon, so that's my nomination.

Am I allowed to be really cheeky and nominate my own book, The Witchfinder's Well? :-)

message 13: by Esther (new)

Esther (estherlu) | 1 comments I'd also like to read Katherine of Aragon by Weir. :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments It's nominated! It doesn't need fifthing and sixing! LOL

message 15: by Portia (new)

Portia | 29 comments OK!

message 16: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Jun 10, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments Any more nominations anyone wants to make? I'll probably be closing this and opening the poll sometime later today.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments The poll is open, and you will find it on the bottom of the group's home page, or here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments The poll is open several more days, but Alison Weir's Katherine of Aragon, The True Queen has such a commanding lead at this point that I would be shocked if anything else passed it at this point.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments The overwhelming choice in the poll was indeed Katherine of Aragon, The True Queen, and we will be discussing it over here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .