Minorities in Fantasy and Science Fiction discussion

Summer Book Club?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 3 comments Hi all! I'm new to the group, and just wanted to send a hello. Currently, I'm on summer vacation from graduate school (hooray!), so I'm hoping to use this time to re-kindle my love affair with books. Do we have any events or summer book clubs in store? If not, perhaps we can get one started?

With this summer's X-Men: Apocalypse, I'm planning to (finally) read the X-Men comic series. Like others, I fantasized about being Storm as a child; and I'd like to get more into her character since the movie did not do her - or any female character - much justice. And I'm hoping to discover other WoC in fantasy stories.

Cheers!

message 2: by audrey (new)

audrey (oddmonster) Hi Nicole! Welcome! I love love love the idea of a summer book club. I'm not much of a comics reader, but I'd love to have a summer read. What's the best way to choose a read for this book club?

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 3 comments Awesome! Perhaps I can set up a poll to gather input about story suggestions and interests, and then members can vote on selections thereafter. Also, we can decide on meeting/discussion format and other logistics.