Long Live Heinlein discussion

Predestination movie

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (last edited Jun 05, 2016 08:43AM) (new)

Jonathan (jsharbour) Warning: SPOILERS

I watched the film again last night to refresh my memory and I'll have to re-read All You Zombies because I don't remember the agent being the bomber in the story. Wasn't that an addition in the movie script?

Anyway, what did you all think of the movie? It's definitely weird.

See, I think the story should have revolved around the Temporal Agent's career, not exclusively around her/his origins. That was the spin, but it should have been saved for the ending. Instead, there are several reveals in the last 20 or so minutes of the film, and that could have been done quickly and easily as flashbacks at a more critical point. In other words, there was no OMG moment like there should have been, because the WHOLE movie was focused on Jane/John. That life story should have been entwined with chasing the bomber instead of vice versa.

Critical reviewers praised Sarah Snook's performance, AND they loved the transgender plot, otherwise I suspect they might have not given it a free pass. (Even Rolling Stone praised the movie--SNOOK, that is).

As a low budget film shot in just a few cheap set pieces, there should have been some funds available to show the bombs going off, or at least show the devastation done in NYC. Instead, we're given newspaper clippings. And there's never a moment in the time agency where people get together to plan the "op". Of course they would do that. Instead, ONE guy is given the job to stop the bomber, and he keeps failing. So, someone else would be given the task. Or a partner.

I could go philosophical and describe the film as an example of solipsism at work. (Solipsism is one of Heinlein's beliefs, "the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist"). I've always interpreted that to mean, we could be living in an elaborate matrix simulation, and every person you meet in life is a construct. You may disagree; that's just my perception of the word, and I feel it's pointless to think about it.

From a bird's-eye view, concerning films made out of Heinlein stories, I have to wonder why they haven't been done properly. I have to ask because, I assume you guys have read that cocaine-addled garbage written by Hollywood-love-child P.K. Dick. I've read them all. It's got nothing to do with talent. He was constantly drugged out of his mind and Hollywood execs can relate to that.

Why can't anyone make a truly great movie out of one of Heinlein's GOOD and REASONABLE novels or shorts? There are plenty to choose from. Starship Troopers could be remade properly (damn Vanheroven's bullshit! the estate should have insisted on script review!). It should be remade properly. Based on the ACTUAL novel, not that Director's political satire. Stupid bastard. (Yes, I'm angry about it, because that GD movie has turned people away from Heinlein, and ruined the chances for further Heinlein films to be made).

I guess I just answered my own question. Verhoeven is the reason why we don't see good Heinlein stories turned into movies today. That's my opinion of that matter fwiw.

Excellent choices for a movie: Citizen of the Galaxy, Between Planets, Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Friday.

But before this thread goes OT from the start, I really wanted to see opinions of Predestination here. My rant about filmmaking aside...

message 2: by Brent (new)

Brent Butler | 14 comments It's not just the few Heinlein films that don't follow the novel, it's pretty much every novel film as ever "adapted". If I get the sense of the novel, I believe that's all I can expect. LOL

I thought "The Puppet Masters" really did a pretty good job of bringing the novel to screen.

Honestly, so much of Heinlein is filled with essays about alternate social constructs that a movie is going to have to add more action to survive.

message 3: by John (new)

John Aga | 4 comments For those were disappointed by the extremely poor movie adaption of Starship Troopers I would recommend checking out the animated version of Starship Troopers. While not a direct translation of the book. The animated series does have many of the same characters. In addition the animated stories are better told than the movie and the animated characters and their voice actors also manage to be better actors then then the actors in the Starship Troopers movie. I have a complete set on dvd and the over all title is "Roughnecks, Starship Troopers Chronicles. I believe the series order is as follows: The Pluto Campaign; The Hydora Campaign; The Tophet Campaign; The Tesca Campaign; The Zephyr Campaign; The Klendathu Campaign; Trackers and finally The Homefront Campaign. The following link is to the Wikipedia article about the series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roughne...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Is there a good list anywhere of what Heinlein stories were made into films beside the couple mentioned above?

message 5: by Clyde (last edited Apr 10, 2019 06:50PM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 11 comments Don wrote: "Is there a good list anywhere of what Heinlein stories were made into films beside the couple mentioned above?"

His IMDB entry might help.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0374423/

message 6: by Brent (new)

Brent Butler | 14 comments I'd forgotten about that Red Planet mini-series. If I recall, it was animated, and pretty wretched.