Clean Reads discussion

Is It Clean? > Are the 'chick-lit' books by Sophie Kinsella clean?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments I have seen a few 1-2 star reviewers say they have foul language, including "F" bombs and lots of sex talk, but the majority of 4-5 star reviewers never mention such elements being in her books.

Just wondering if that many readers really don't mind such filth, or what?

message 2: by C. (last edited Jun 05, 2016 05:14PM) (new)

C. | 297 comments As many reviews as her books get, surely some here have read[or tried to] read them?

message 3: by EJ (new)

EJ Johnson | 28 comments I can't help you out with this author but I will say that, in my opinion, yes there are lots of reviewers that don't mind that stuff. I've been fooled into reading an inappropriate book more than once because of those reviewers. I would trust the ones who warn you off.

message 4: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments I think you are right, EJ.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Elliott (ashleyelliott) | 5 comments That's probably true. I don't mention the language in my reviews all the time bc it's more often than not that contemporary books have language (*insert annoyed emoji*), but I'll definitely mention if it doesn't have language. I typically ask if a friend reviewed something and didn't mention the language content, which is what I want people to do with my reviews.

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Jun 06, 2016 08:30AM) (new)

Ashley Elliott (ashleyelliott) | 5 comments (And I haven't read any of the Shopaholic books, but I did read Finding Audrey and thought it was okay.)

message 7: by C. (last edited Jun 06, 2016 08:53AM) (new)

C. | 297 comments I always make sure to tell reviewers that I really appreciate them mentioning profanity, and/or graphic sex [or if a book doesn't have these elements], in their reviews, because I avoid those books that do.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Elliott (ashleyelliott) | 5 comments Awesome. : ) I avoid books that do, too. (Which is why I rarely read adult romance and even some YA romance.)

message 9: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Oh I must highly recommend The Crazy Girl's Handbook (The Handbook Series, #1) by DelSheree Gladden for a wonderful and clean adult romance!

I just read the novella version of it last night in the Valentine's Pets and Kisses Collection, and it is so great that I just had to order the full version, for my Kindle.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read most of her books and it depends on the book. They all have atrocious language, but not all have sex scenes, and only one that I've read had anything explicit. I love the way she writes, which is why I've read so many but they would be rated R for language and PG-13 for sexual innuendo. Was there a specific one you were interested in? I make notations in my reviews about what might be objectionable and I could check, if you like.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 194 comments As a writer who publishes ebooks through Amazon, I have the option to choose 7 words to describe my books. One word I have chosen is 'clean'. It might, therefore, be possible to search for 'clean' books on Amazon and see if Sophia Kinsella comes up.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Come to think of it, are there 'clean' chick-lit books? Are there authors in that specific genre that write clean books? I like the genre (I know, most people won't admit it, I guess I'm shameless that way.) but I've only read a couple that didn't have incredibly bad language and were clean.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Elliott (ashleyelliott) | 5 comments There are definitely "clean" chick-lit books - you just have to know where to find them (and, in my case, slog through a lot of inappropriate ones). I looooove the genre (in fact, it's my guilty pleasure), but it's definitely a struggle to find clean ones.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley wrote: "There are definitely "clean" chick-lit books - you just have to know where to find them (and, in my case, slog through a lot of inappropriate ones). I looooove the genre (in fact, it's my guilty pl..."

Yes. I've done a lot of 'slogging.' Did you find any you liked in particular?

message 15: by C. (last edited Sep 29, 2016 06:33PM) (new)

C. | 297 comments Rebecca wrote: "I've read most of her books and it depends on the book. They all have atrocious language, but not all have sex scenes, and only one that I've read had anything explicit. I love the way she writes, ..."

Nah, thanks anyway, but I don't think she's for me. I really, really hate pervasive profanity waay more than a sex scene or two, that one can skim through, but continuous trash talk just disgusts me past my tolerance level, so I have to stop reading.

Besides the one mentioned above my FAVS are~

The Dress Shop of Dreams by Menna van Praag a totally 'enchanting' read! However, there are about 4 "F" bombs for some stupid reason!

Double Take by Melody Carlson

Snow Angel Cove (Haven Point, #1) by RaeAnne Thayne

Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Enchanted, Inc. (Enchanted, Inc., #1) by Shanna Swendson

Not His Type (Opposites Attract, #1) by Lisa J. Crane

Mark of the Loon (Gen Delacourt Mystery, #1) by Molly Greene

The Last Fairytale (Gen Delacourt Mystery, #2) by Molly Greene

It Had to Be You by Linda Windsor

Fiesta Moon (Moonstruck #2) by Linda Windsor

The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2) by Diane Farr

First Impressions (Austen Series, #1) by Debra White Smith A modern western tale of P&P.

First Impressions An Amish Tale of Pride and Prejudice (The Amish Classics, #1) by Sarah Price An Amish P&P!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you! Some of these look fun! I love reading this stuff when I'm stressed.

The Flipped Page (Susan K) (theflippedpage) | 48 comments I have read some of her books, and they all have the language. There are always some humorous situations, and some talk... I would definitely say PG-13, and maybe R depending on your sensibilities. I would look for something else. Are you looking for romance, romantic comedy? I have lots on my shelf. Tell me a few books you like, and I am happy to recommend to you something.

message 18: by The Flipped Page (Susan (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:36PM) (new)

The Flipped Page (Susan K) (theflippedpage) | 48 comments Rebecca read some more Melanie Jacobson! She is one of my favorite authors! Also try Rebecca Jamison's Persuasion. Persuasion A Latter-day Tale by Rebecca H. Jamison
Great retelling from an LDS point of view. Some great moments. I will check your shelf and see if you have something that is a 4 or 5 for you that you really enjoyed to see if I can recommend something else.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Elliott (ashleyelliott) | 5 comments Rebecca wrote: Yes. I've done a lot of 'slogging.' Did you find any you liked in particular?
Let me think... I read Anna and the French Kiss (because apparently it's amazing), but didn't love it. (I can't remember the language content, but I do remember a few make-out sessions that I would've been fine with if the guy didn't already have a girlfriend! Ugh.) Dear Mr. Knightley is one of my favorites, and there's no language or inappropriate scenes to speak of. I also usually recommend The Little Women Letters to everyone I know (I just gave it to a friend as a graduation gift, actually) because it's so great and super clean! (The only thing is that there's some profanity {basically just omg and variants} and main character lives with her fiance, but there aren't any bedroom scenes.) I also love Robert Whitlow's Tides of Truth trilogy, if you like a romance with a little more substance... (Again, nothing there.) Flipped is also a precious one-afternoon read with no Content to speak of. Great clean classics are Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom by L.M. Alcott, and The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy. If you read any of those (or need more!), let me know what you think!

Oh man, I loved The Help! I just read it for the first time earlier this year and it impacted me so much (partially bc I'm a writer, like Skeeter).

The Flipped Page (Susan K) (theflippedpage) | 48 comments Flipped is one of my favorites!! If you haven't read that, totally GREAT!

message 21: by The Flipped Page (Susan (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:35PM) (new)

The Flipped Page (Susan K) (theflippedpage) | 48 comments I just read "Love At First Note" and loved it!
Love at First Note by Jenny Proctor
Loved that one! Loved all the music, the misunderstandings, etc!

message 22: by C. (last edited Jun 10, 2016 02:54AM) (new)

C. | 297 comments Love At First Note sounds great, so does her~ The House At Rose Creek The House at Rose Creek by Jenny Proctor

message 23: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Rebecca wrote: "Thank you! Some of these look fun! I love reading this stuff when I'm stressed."

YW, note that I edited to add several others!

The Flipped Page (Susan K) (theflippedpage) | 48 comments Also, I loved Richard Paul Evans "The Mistletoe Promise". One I have reread a few times!
The Mistletoe Promise by Richard Paul Evans
Clean romance, some sparse writing, but for me that added to the emotional tension of the novel.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for these recommendations! I hadn't realized there had been more responses to this thread, GR isn't informing me of them for some reason.

There are so many books here I haven't tried, I'm a happy person right now.

I did read one of Melanie Jacobson's books and I liked it well enough, I will try more, but I prefer non-religious. If you look at my Chick Lit shelf there aren't very many 4 and 5 star ratings. But I like the idea of the genre so I keep trying.

I've read a few of the recommendations since first seeing this thread and I'm realizing Kinsella's shopaholic series would be considered clean by most people, I'm just extra picky.

What I really want are books that aren't religious, no sex or sexual innuendo etc, no violence and no bad language, written for adults. But these types of books in any genre are few and far between. I'm beginning to despair that there are more than a handful.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

SL wrote: "Flipped is one of my favorites!! If you haven't read that, totally GREAT!"

Thank you! Who is the author?

message 27: by Serena (new)

Serena | 1 comments Someone who writes similar to Sophie, without ANY of the crap, is Ranee Clark. She wrote Playing for Keeps and Double Play. Zero bad, plenty of good. GREAT books!

message 28: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Some great new titles for me to try! :D