The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Canadian North/ West Historical Books

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jem (new)

Jem | 1 comments Any thoughts on any books (ideally, but not necessarily, fiction) about the Canadian "frontier" (western provinces, northern territories, Klondike, fur trade, Northwest/ Royal Canadian Mounted Police, etc) in the early days. I'm not really looking for anything from too far back (before "Canada" was even an idea or when the first nations were the only people in North America).

ex: Mrs. Mike orThe Call of the Wild

Thanks!

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 239 comments Pierre Berton is a very well-known Canadian writer. He writes non-fiction but his prose reads like fiction. I've only read two of his books thus far but my husband (a born and raised Canadian) loves Berton and calls him his favorite writer. We just bought his book, The Wild Frontier which is about the Klondike. I'd highly recommend him to you.

message 3: by Pamk (new)

Pamk | 20 comments Not Canadian frontier, but I thought I'd suggest these books in case you were interested. The Snow Child is set in Alaska in the 1920's. It's a folk tale, but I enjoyed it very much. You may also want to check out books by Richard Morenus Crazy-White-Man.