Speculative Fiction For Christians discussion

Topics Of Interest > Focus in fantasy

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tori (new)

Tori Rainn (tori0099) As a curious fellow writer I'd like to know what is your ultimate goal as you write a fantasy for the Christian market?

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Hamilton (annehamilton) | 2 comments One of my goals is to re-introduce Christians to biblical concepts that have almost vanished outside of fantasy: for example, the power of names to prophesy identity and destiny (name covenants), the importance of invitation in threshold crossing (cornerstone covenant) and other lost ideas like these.

message 3: by Tedd (new)

Tedd Galloway (TeddGalloway) | 5 comments At times fantasy and reality comingle. We can not see what the other side of this present world is accomplishing.

message 4: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 8 comments I want to write fiction that is for everyone, but that won't be anti-christian like so much stuff out there today. Something that won't endorse anti-christian views, and which pushes the same values we Christians have, while still having one foot firmly in popculture.

message 5: by Tedd (new)

Tedd Galloway (TeddGalloway) | 5 comments C.E. wrote: "I want to write fiction that is for everyone, but that won't be anti-christian like so much stuff out there today. Something that won't endorse anti-christian views, and which pushes the same value..."

Write about unvarnished real life. Know what Christians struggle with, what troubles them. We can all relate to that.

message 6: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 8 comments Why would anyone want to read about real life? Fantasy is a break from the tedium of our daily lives.

message 7: by Tedd (new)

Tedd Galloway (TeddGalloway) | 5 comments C.E. wrote: "Why would anyone want to read about real life? Fantasy is a break from the tedium of our daily lives."

Can the supernatural break into the natural, everyday world? In a sense isn't the supernatural fantasy to some. Are angels supernatural or fantasy?

message 8: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 8 comments Well, looking at it that way, the supernatural is part of our world, but just not something we see everyday. Just like I don't see elephants or zebras everyday, but I know they're out there (hence my fascination with Discovery and Animal Planet)

As a Christian, I'd have to say Angels are supernatural, not fantasy. However, how we as authors depict them would be fantasy, as we can't really be sure of their exact natures, abilities, etc.

message 9: by Tedd (new)

Tedd Galloway (TeddGalloway) | 5 comments I agree. There is so much that surrounds us and we can only imagine what takes place.