Should have read classics discussion

Group Book Discussions > The Bridal Wreath

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 1864 comments Mod
The group read for June/July is The Bridal Wreath. I have not heard of this one before so this will be a new one for me. Enjoy your summer and have fun reading.

message 2: by Sorento62 (new)

Sorento62 | 71 comments I will be reading this Kristin Lavransdatter book soon. From what I have heard, the Tiina Nunally translation is recommended. I believe the TN translation goes by the title The Wreath.

message 3: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 7 comments I've been reading the Tiina Nunally's translation from Penguin. I have finished Parts I and II.

message 4: by Longhare (new)

Longhare Content | 60 comments Kristin Lavransdatter is one (or three) of my favorite books. Just gorgeous. I've read it two or three times. Mine is the Archer and Scott translation. I didn't know there was another. I'll have to check it out.

message 5: by Sorento62 (new)

Sorento62 | 71 comments Longhare wrote: "Kristin Lavransdatter is one (or three) of my favorite books. Just gorgeous. I've read it two or three times. Mine is the Archer and Scott translation. I didn't know there was another. I'll have to..."

I'll be interested to hear how they compare to you, Longhare. Because you love the Archer and Scott translation so well, I suspect you may find somthing lacking in the TN, which I believe probably has less flowery language.

message 6: by Longhare (new)

Longhare Content | 60 comments I tried to find it today. Am I really going to have to break down and order it from Amazon?

I remember the prose as fairly dense, but not flowery. I dislike flowery. But we'll see.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Thanks for the translator recommendations. Its pretty expensive on Amazon, and I'm glad to know there are two translations - I'm going to download a sample from each and compare.

I suspect I'll go with the TN one though - it sounds easier :)

message 8: by Longhare (new)

Longhare Content | 60 comments What a good idea! And, yeah, the TN is much more straightforward.

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I did go with the TN version. The story was KIND of what I expected, and yet very different. I thought it would be about how Kristin was engaged to someone she didn't want and rejected the standards of her society to find true love. Well...I was kind of right. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Longhare (new)

Longhare Content | 60 comments The thing is... (view spoiler)

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne That is an excellent point!! I'm glad you said that, and you are totally right (view spoiler) I forgot to mention another thing I really thought was interesting was the interaction between Lavrans and his wife. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Longhare (new)

Longhare Content | 60 comments Poor Ragnfried. Lots of stories have a sour housewife rattling about the house making everyone irritable but (view spoiler)