THE Group for Authors! discussion

Kim Megahee
This topic is about Kim Megahee
General Discussion > Blog Topics

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Megahee (kmega) | 12 comments I like the idea of blogging regularly to generate interest in my book(s). But it seems difficult to me to talk about the book or future books without giving away parts of the story. I'm interested in learning what other authors do to keep their blog entries fresh and interesting. Comments?

message 2: by Harold (new)

Harold Titus (haroldtitus) | 26 comments I am currently writing a novel about Walter Raleigh's attempts to establish a settlement at Roanoke Island in the 1580s. Part of what I blog provides related information about the venture much of which will not appear in the novel. In other words, I am making use of the historical research I did prior to starting the writing. I might also write something monthly about the problems I encounter during the previous month's writing. You might also do book reviews in the genre that you write.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Megahee (kmega) | 12 comments Good ideas all, Harold. Thanks very much.

message 4: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Amato (authorcarmenamato) | 73 comments I often blog about background information that supports my fiction. My mystery series is set in Mexico so I often blog about what is happening there, food, culture, politics, etc. I sometimes share other issues of interest to me personally, such as historic preservation and world travel. As I write mysteries and thrillers, I know my audience is also interested in those things so I also try to do a weekly book review of a book in that genre. I also occasionally do a wrap up of interesting things that cross my desk and call it the Friday Fiesta.

Doing a series of themed blog posts is fun and can help build an audience. I have done a series of interviews about favorite books, one on the state of bookstores, and this summer will do another on time management for writers. Another author friend does a blog focusing on famous quotes, Jennifer Chase does one on crime investigation, Jan Moran interviews other authors plus writes about Paris and perfume, two themes of her books, and
C.M. Mayo has a great blog called Madam Mayo. Neil Gaiman and Hugh Howey also have interesting author blogs. Surf the sites of your favorite authors and you will get lots of ideas. Good luck!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Megahee (kmega) | 12 comments Thanks, Carmen. I'm a newbie here and your insights are very much appreciated.

message 6: by Elyce (new)

Elyce Wakerman | 35 comments Thanks, Carmen, very helpful information. How do people become aware of an author's blog? And also, does anyone have any advice regarding where to blog: goodreads; tmblr; blogspot, etc? Thanks.

message 7: by Bronwen (new)

Bronwen Griffiths | 9 comments Thanks for that Carmen. Like Elyce, I'd also like advice on how to make people aware of your blog. There is so much stuff out there!

message 8: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Amato (authorcarmenamato) | 73 comments There are a couple of easy ways to gain blog readers that don't cost anything: share your posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Google +, comment on similar blogs or nonfiction blogs that focus on your setting or other book-related issue, and write guest posts on other blogs. Beyond that there are a couple of broadcast services, none of which I can really address knowledgeably. I know that wordpress.com offers Publicize but I don't know if there is a cost involved. Networked Blogs is another service.

Being in a group blog is hard to set up, but a good payoff as you leverage all the group members' contacts to build an audience.

If you are a regular blogger, join Triberr. That is a sharing service. You join a tribe of like minded folks, and share each other's blog posts on Twitter and or Facebook. I belong to a couple of tribes of writers and share on Twitter.

There are probably more sharing services out there, would love to hear anyone's experience.

message 9: by Jack (last edited May 10, 2014 04:16PM) (new)

Jack Knapp | 778 comments Mod
I just purchased a (discounted; Amz Countdown Deal) book on how to sell your first thousand books. It's titled, amazingly enough, Your First Thousand Copies: the Step by Step....something or other. The author is Tim Grahl.
I really hope it doesn't say "Title your book How To Sell Your First Thousand Copies!"
But if you do that and get rich, you might think of me; you could even take a tax break from those newfound riches! :D

message 10: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Amato (authorcarmenamato) | 73 comments Jack, I have also read Tim Grahl's book and was a beta tester for his Instant Bestseller course. I think he has some excellent ideas and makes book marketing manageable.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Megahee (kmega) | 12 comments Wow! Great information, y'all. Thanks!

message 12: by Jack (new)

I scanned the book; some of what he suggests I'm already doing, some of it seems complicated and likely to cost a new author money.
The complicated part: setting up large email lists. Some sites do offer newbies free help up to a point, and if I ever sold enough copies/got enough folks to email with offers, I'd probably jump on that offer.
But so far, I'm reaching personal/online friends via Facebook. Does it help? I think so; my best day ever was the day after I announced publishing my first book.
But that's my take and your mileage may vary.
I've offered a fellow writer I admire a chance to write something for publication on my blog. For that matter, I'm willing to have my own blog posts shared and will likely reciprocate. Mine are linked to Facebook already.
FWIW, my international sales (Britain, Germany, Canada, Australia) likely came from my International Mensa friends.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary Sisney | 10 comments If you know what you're doing (I'm the opposite of tech savvy, so I have trouble linking my blog to other sites), and you're on Linked/In, that's a good place to share your blog and also pick up a few customers. I joined some Linked/In groups, made a few comments, people checked my profile, and bought my book. I haven't sold any books internationally through goodreads, but I have through Linked/In.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen | 17 comments Mary--Which Linked In groups do you recommend? Are they targeted towards writers or toward another topic? Thanks!

message 15: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Amato (authorcarmenamato) | 73 comments There are a number of Facebook groups that allow promotion of books and blog posts. It is worth it to find a few that relate to your books and submit your blog posts, as well as sharing them on your own Facebook fan page. It helps build your credibility as a person writing in that genre or about that setting, as well as getting your own Facebook page a few more likes.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 17 comments Thanks, Carmen, for the suggestion! I like your book covers, BTW.

message 17: by Jack (new)

I contacted the aggregator I'm currently using, Draft2Digital. They recommended BookBub, so I decided to submit Darwin's World for consideration.
First, they don't accept all books, and may not like mine. Second, there'll be an invoice for me to pay; I'll decide at that time if I want to go forward or wait.
Anyone here ever promoted a book via BookBub?

message 18: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Amato (authorcarmenamato) | 73 comments BookBub is both extremely expensive and extremely selective. To get accepted by them, your book will need a number of good reviews and be listed on a number of sales sites, not just Amazon.

Cheaper alternatives are Fussy Librarian, ebookdaily, ads on Kindleboards, etc. Fiverr is also full of gigs that will promote your book for $5.

message 19: by Jack (new)

I'll look at those. I only contacted BookBub because D2D recommended it.
The books are selling, just not very fast.
Patience, Jack; have patience!