Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Authors General Chat > Visual Book Promo

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) After giving it some thought, I decided to try a visual promo for my unpublished thriller instead of using quotes and risking my writing getting consumed by the almighty cyberspace. Anyway, I hope this works and by all means, send me any feedback.

I call it Thirty Chapters of Inspiration and I have it set up on tumblr, with automatic twitter and FB page updates, so that makes it a lot easier for me.

Here's the first entry. What do you think?

http://lilyauthor.tumblr.com/

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1890 comments Mod
looks snazzy thus far

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Thanks! I do hope this works. Keeping my fingers crossed.

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) I am not sure I follow what I'm supposed to be looking for. I might just be being dense, but is it supposed to be looking at the picture and relating it to the information?

message 5: by Lily (last edited May 07, 2014 08:21PM) (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) It's images I've used as inspiration, related to each chapter. It's visual only.

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) Ahh okay. Got it now. An interesting approach :)

message 7: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I know it's different, but at least it keep my work safe. I might build up to using quotes. One thing at a time.

message 8: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Chapter Two. I'm learning to use the tags more. Does it make more sense? If so, I'll add more tags for the chapter one posts. (I'm brand-new to tumblr).

http://lilyauthor.tumblr.com/post/851...

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Never mind lol Figured out which tags to add. Hopefully they work.

message 10: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand ...I don't quite get the concept. :-(

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments I think it's a pretty nice concept, different in a good way

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Thanks, Michael :) I know it's unusual, but for those who might go for this kind of thing, here go, free from me to you.

It's sort of like an artist's notebook, I think. You don't get to see the final painting yet, but you can see the sketches for the meantime.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments I was going to, it reminds me of the special notebook guillermo del toro carries, only in calendar-like format

message 14: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Nice compliment! I was contemplating creating a video slideshow, but I didn't see the point. Book trailers are for after publication, let's be honest.

But! I think I could do a similar thing, only instead of chapter inspiration, inspirations per character.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments I've always been a fan of pictures and the atmosphere, so I can see that turning out to be a really good thing. looking forward to any and all of that

message 16: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Oh good, I'm not just blogging to myself lol

message 17: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Posted chapter 3 inspirations. I have 3 followers on tumblr now, so better than nothing. And I think there's a couple more just kinda following along.

message 18: by Ed (new)

Ed Ireland (edireland) | 222 comments Nice Lily...I'm doing something similar with my new fantasy novel The Stormrider. I'm unabashedly going about stealing art from places like deviantart and Photoshopping quotes from my book into them. They started out with a bang on FB but now with their wonderful ideas of limiting sociability (imagine a social site that isn't social...it's like a butcher that doesn't sell meat), they only get 30-40 looks.
Yours look pretty good. They inspire imagination and make you want to know how it all ties in.

message 19: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Thanks so much, Ed!

I'm getting very few views, but it is brand new. I'm still hestitant to use any actual text from the manuscript, since it's unpublished for now. So it's all a bit risky, but I decided to go for it. I am thinking about using quotes from various sources, books and movies, that's definitely an inspiration for me while I was writing this thriller.

Do you think the mix of text and visual are more appealing?

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments I think the mix may help people understand the concept a bit better, as well as define the meaning the pic a bit more clearly

message 21: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Hmm, maybe I'll just try quotes from books and movies. I just don't feel comfortable enough with direct quotes from the manuscript yet.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments I understand that, and I (personal opinion) find it all the more thrilling when things aren't given away. Mostly because I'll be searching for those quotes when I read, or I'll stumble onto and it will take me out the story

message 23: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Agreed.

Okay, posted one quote, with explanation and tags. Does this make sense?

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments To me it does. helps that I love that book haha

message 25: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Hahaha, me too! It's a major influence for my thriller. I've been cautious to sy anything, because it's a very different story. But the concept of a gunslinger dealing with paranormal elements from that whole series is definitely an influence.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments The entire Dark Tower is an influence on me as well, so I understand that. and now i'm pretty excited about your story. well more excited.

message 27: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I've been excited since the idea popped into my head lol Well, I'm glad this promo idea is starting to work. All I'm going is posting sources of inspiration. I just posted a couple of youtube videos.

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments i'll have to go look those things up, or check all my other social media sites I have but don't check haha

message 29: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) What, the videos?

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments for everything, I just realized i'm so far behind on all my other crap lol

message 31: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Oh lol Well, catch up already lol

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments On it, Captain!

message 33: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Posted chapter 4 inspirations.

message 34: by Ed (new)

Ed Ireland (edireland) | 222 comments Looked it over Lily...very cool idea. The inspirations for the chapters. I might try that on the next book.
I haven't been on Tumbler in forever...forgot I even had an account there. But I followed you :-)
This is what I've been doing... http://edstoryteller.tumblr.com/

message 35: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Thanks so much! I followed you as well, yu have some interesting stuff.

I really appreciate the support I'm getting from this thread. I've been going out of my mind wondering how can I possibly safely promote an unpublished manuscript when I have like, 5 active fans. I just want to share the story with others, you know?

Anyway, thanks for making me feel less nervous :)

message 36: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Added note, if my little promo idea works for you, be all means, use it!

message 37: by Ed (new)

Ed Ireland (edireland) | 222 comments 1 fan, 5 fans, 5 million fans. Who do we write for? The story demands to be let out...it doesn't care if 1 person reads it or if a million read it. It just needs to be let out.
Your idea is perfect and it does spark interest. I know I want to see how this is all going to link up. You hang in there Lily...you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

message 38: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) lol It's true. I write for myself and nothing but. It gets a little intimidating, overwhelming at times to still feel like a totally unknown author. In all honesty, if I died with only 5 fans, I would still be happy.

It would be nice to have more, of course...

Thanks, Ed, I'm hanging on :)

I'm aiming for 2 chapters a day, at least, depending on when I reach my limit with all that copying and pasting. Keep your fingers crossed!

message 39: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Encountered a disadvantage. You can't reply to replies on tumblr. It's mostly for visuals and audio only, which is fine, and I do feel it's the best to use for this little experiment.

Anyway, for those who are following, I guess we can chat about it here if you want.

message 40: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
At first I didn't get what she meant but then I checked it out for myself and she's killing it on Tumblr! :)

message 41: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Aw, thanks! So far so good. Some really like it, a few are scratching their heads, but hey, what are you gonna do? So, I'm going to keep posting inspirations for all 30 chapters, and go from there.

message 42: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) I'm liking it. I love the wide range of sources!

I also want that spiral staircase in my house. I don't even care if it goes anywhere

message 43: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Haha, it was great inspiration :D

I'm up to chapter 14 now, and it's interestng to see the likes for various sources. It makes me feel like I really do have an audience out there. Nifty.

message 44: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I just had to share this. So, for chapter 17, I posted a bondage photo of Bettie Page as a source of inspiration. It's getting the most attention lol

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments well it's Bettie Page lol i'm liking all your pics and quotes, but I can see why that would get the most attention

message 46: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I guess I just wasn't expecting it lol And I got a new follower lol

message 47: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Thirty Chapters of Inspiration has ended. It was so much fun! I'll definitely do that again.

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments enjoyed it while it lasted!
and even helped inspire me some too

message 49: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) That's fantastic! It was amazing to see, after I posted a source, a bunch of people would post similar sources. Black Sabbath. Next thing I know, tumblr is covered in visual refences to old school rock n' roll lol

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments that's freaking awesome lol

« previous 1