Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

General SF&F Chat > What SF/F book Series do you Follow?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 07, 2014 07:18PM) (new)

As I sit here with my just-released copy of Steadfast (which is either the 4th, 10th or 12th book in a Lost Fleet series), I was wondering how many other members out there are big fans of and regularly follow a particular series. And, which do you follow fanatically (picking up new releases on the month they hit the shelves), in which you just make your way through at a more leisurely pace?

I am curious to see if we have any overlap in series we collectively follow to figure out if we have some basis for discussion.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments There are 4 series I will buy the next one as soon as I can - James S.A. Corey's Expanse, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind, and Wesley Chu's Tao books. Oh and also looking forward to N.K. Jemison's followup to the Inheritance trilogy.

I don't usually buy them hot off the e-press, because I'm trying not to blow my book budget, but I will probably splurge on those.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited May 08, 2014 06:16AM) (new)

In addition to Campbell's Lost Fleet, I'm also following Scalzi's Old Man's War, Corey's Expanse and Rusch's Diving universe, all space operas & all scarily soon after they're published. I'm also following Weber's Honor Harrington & Bujold's Vorkosigan series at a lesser pace (I'm behind in both.)

Since the conclusion of the Wheel of Time, I don't think I'm following any sword and sorcery that fanatically, though I'm reading any Sanderson Mistborn or Elantris sequels, plus a Paksenarion story from time to time, and I'm up-to-date with two Urban Fantasies, Hanover's Black Sun's Daughter & Andrews' Kate Daniels.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited May 07, 2014 07:51PM) (new)

Michele wrote: "James S.A. Corey's Expanse,..."

So, have you read The Churn yet?

Michele wrote: "and Wesley Chu's Tao books..."

Is it a series? I haven't read The Deaths of Tao yet. I'm curious if there's Tao after Deaths? The title made me think it was a conclusion.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

a handfull of comics I pick up every month: Wonder Woman and all the Batman books (Batman, Batgirl, Batwoman, ect.)

I grab a Doctor Who book here and there (they pop up regularly). I wish I could read German so I could follow Perry Rhodan (easily the longest running space opera EVER)

I grab a Star Trek novel now and again.

I use to grab the Fortean Digest every month, but the local comic shop stoped carrying it (Charles Fort wasn't a SF author, but his brand of weirdness had it's influnce on SF)

I have a bunch of series I want to compleate, mostly anthology series, I try to mail-order at least one of my "missings" a month or so.

I'd pick up all the digests every month, but they are not carried on any of the local newsstands.

I try to grab as many of the podcasts I can that feature orginal or fairly new SF stories.

My Kindle is a real SF lifeline for me, I can get e-books I'd never find in paper editions, and at a price my budget can handle. A perfect example would be the many pulp re-prints...Operator 5, The Spider, Captian Future.

Face it, I'm a kid in a candy store dispite all my whineing about being in a small town in a back-water state. :) :) :) :)

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments He's working on "Rebirths of Tao" I believe. I haven't finished book 2 yet so I dunno how it ends. I did like that the first book had a definite ending, even though it was obviously set up for the sequel. I'm really enjoying the idea behind the stories, though his style could use a little polish.

I'm planning to start Mary Robinette Kowal's Glamour series but I'm almost afraid I'm going to love it and gobble it down and have to add another series to my "buy immediately" list :) I'm a sucker for Austen.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments Oh and I do like Scalzi's Old Man's War trilogy (didn't read Zoe's Tale) and I read The Human Division once it was all done being serialized.

message 8: by infael (new)

infael | 65 comments I discovered Perry Rhodan (the English version) in a used bookstore many years ago and grabbed them all, as they were incredibly cheap. When I realized there were at least 500 books, I gave up. It took me about 15 years to get all 181 Doc Savage novels and even then, it was only because Bantam reprinted the books in omnibus format. It'd have taken far longer to get all the Perry Rhodans with far less free time on my hands.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I use to have all the US editions of Perry Rhodan...oi snagged all the Doc Savage from Black Mask online for free...I alsogot all 300+ of The Shadow online.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

btw, Apple has several editions of Perry Rhodan...50 issues to a vol. around 3000 pages each, all in the digital store...the hitch...they are all in German.

message 11: by Bryce (new)

Bryce | 72 comments Anything Robin Hobb, however the Farseer books are the ones that I keep the closest eye on. The new one comes out in August!

The others that I keep an eye out for are Patrick Rothfus King Killer Chronicles. Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series, and The Green Rider books by Kristen Britain.

message 12: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 92 comments i try to avoid series which run for more than 3 books but there are exceptions. Ive been getting into Discworld so pick up a novel anytime i seen one in the second hand shop.

Other series more than 3 books that ive followed:

Memory Sorrow and Thorn - tad williams
2001 & Rama - Sir Arthur C Clarke
Dune - Frank Herbert

message 13: by Bryce (new)

Bryce | 72 comments @ Mika, Sorry my phone won't let me quote. The first three Farseer books are in my opinion th best. All her books except the Soldier son trilogy are set in the same word, so some of the story lines overlap.

message 14: by infael (new)

infael | 65 comments hmmm...

Song of Fire and Ice
Dresden
anything by Sanderson
Star Wars
Star Trek
Forgotten Realms
The Obsidian Shadow
THe Powder Mage
...more that I can't recall at the moment.

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 27 comments Honor Harrington and the Laiden Universe are two always look forward to. Also like the Dresden Files and Disc World in fantasy. My very favorite the Vorkosigan Saga sadly seems to be coming to an end.

message 16: by James (new)

James Parsons | 18 comments I am starting to read Clive Barker's Next Testament comic series which is quite fantastical, and also aim to continue reading Asimov's Foundation and Herbert's Dune fiction SF book series as I had started both in the past.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (khardman) | 20 comments I think I have all of Jack Vance's Sci-Fi/Fantasy works and a ton of other series. In terms of what I'm probably reading and looking forward to more of, there's the "Twenty Palaces" series by Harry Connelly; "Sandman Slim" series by Richard Kadrey; Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London" series.

Other stuff that I'll buy when I see it (but haven't really gone on the hunt for lately) include "Harry Dresden" and the "Void City" series.

message 18: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 34 comments The two that I buy when they come out are Hobb's 'Realm of Elderlings' (though even there it's only really the Fitz novels I'm dedicated to, I've still got one rain wilds novel to catch up on) and Martin's 'A Song of Ice And Fire'.
Also Pratchett's 'Discworld', but I don't mind waiting a while for them, or even borrowing a copy to read them (still haven't read the latest).

Mika: I'd give the opposite answer from Bryce, which is that I think the original Farseer trilogy is the worst of the sequence so far (although I'd still definitely recommend it). Depends what you like, really - they start off closer to normal epic fantasy, but gradually become more focused on characters and relationships in the later books (with epic fantasy stuff still driving the plot, though).

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 21 comments Books I buy as soon as they are available:
Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series)
Kim Harrison (Hollows/Rachel Morgan)
Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson)
Jim Butcher (Dresden Files)
Lois McMaster Bujold (Vorkosigan series)

Books I read as soon as I can get them from the library and purchase when I can:
Seanan McGuire (October Daye series)
Kevin Hearne (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Benedict Jacka (Alex Verus series)
Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle)
Jacquelyn Carey (D'Angeline series)
Anne Bishop (Black Jewels series)
Eileen Wilks (Tales of the Lupi)
C. E. Murphy (Walker Papers)
Carrie Vaughn (Kitty Norville)

Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake), (Merry Gentry) ---sadly, new releases have deteriorated in quality rather a lot over the past 14 years, though I still read and collect them.

There are a lot of other series that I read but don't buy, plus several that are completed which I own and reread regularly. I have not included them here. I tried to limit this list to series that are still ongoing.

message 20: by Deeptanshu (new)

Deeptanshu | 120 comments I have a tendency to obsessively collect every book in a series that I like. Even if the later books then to be bad. So there are a lot of series that I am currently following like Honor harrigton, Old mans war, Warhammer 40000, Forgotten realms, Star wars, Mistborn, Paladins Legacy, Night angel, Game of Thrones etc etc.

message 21: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 34 comments ...if you're going to collect every 'Forgotten Realms' novel, it may take you some time. Goodreads lists 276 of them, and I wouldn't even want to bet that they've listed them all!

message 22: by Murray (new)

Murray Lindsay | 51 comments I think the only series (I think it qualifies) I still buy without hesitation, and if my bank account is able, would be "Discworld" by Sir Terry Pratchett.

Back in their glory days, I'd also get a "Vorkosigan" book when it appeared, as well as one of Fred Saberhagen's "Dracula" entries.

Overall, in my opinion, most series don't pull their own weight. Give me a trilogy or quadrology...maybe a "quintology" at most. Something with an ending.

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 27 comments Murray wrote: "I think the only series (I think it qualifies) I still buy without hesitation, and if my bank account is able, would be "Discworld" by Sir Terry Pratchett.

Back in their glory days, I'd also get a..."

Wow, You just described my favorite reading list. Had forgotten about the Dracula series.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments The series that I consider myself to be following (albeit at varying degrees of speed/tenacity):
Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews), Old Man's War (John Scalzi), The Gentlemen Bastards (Scott Lynch), Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs) and whenever Daniel O'Malley gets around to releasing a sequel I will be all over the Chequy Files series.

However if the aim of this thread is to find series that we can read as a group, there are many more that I am willing and interested to read. I am way too "Type A" to jump into a series in the middle but one way to approach this might be to allow nominations of book 2 in a series of which the first book was a past (well-received) group read. That way new people who want to join only have one book to catch up on.

I am actually in the market for a series or trilogy. Some of the many that interest me include:
Vorkosian Saga
The First Law trilogy (Joe Abercrombie)
Hyperion and sequels (Dan Simmons)
The Iron Druid series (Kevin Hearne)
Black Company (Glen Cook)
Expanse (James S A Corey)
Peter Grant (Ben Aaronovitch)

message 25: by Rotuma (new)

Rotuma | 11 comments I am currently reading Greg Bears Darwin's Radio / Children series ...

I have the following trilogies, ready to read next:

Void Trilogy, Peter F. Hamilton;
Revelation Space, Alastair Reynolds;
The Way, Greg Bear.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm. Right now, my ongoing series:

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire
Brandon Sanderson - The Stormlight Archive
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn
Anthony Ryan - Raven's Shadow
Patrick Rothfuss - Kingkiller Chronicles
Miles Cameron - The Traitor Son Cycle
Felix J. Palma - Trilogia Victoriana

message 27: by A.L. (last edited May 27, 2014 05:16AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 127 comments I've got quite a few Star Trek Novels and short stories - but I haven't read them for a while.
Dragon Ages series (games and books)
Dune - miniseries
Star Trek - TV shows/movies (also played the PC game)
Lord of the Rings/Tolkien
Sacred Band books
Alien movies
Discworld
Elder scrolls
Diablo games
Dr Who
Riddick Films
Batman films
Dragon Blades series

message 28: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 894 comments I've been anxiously awaiting a new Dray Prescot book for years. The last three books have only been available in German.

English translations are supposed to be out later this year:

http://www.mushroom-ebooks.com/wordpr...

The next book is supposed to published on my birthday! :)

message 29: by Tushar (new)

Tushar Damle | 2 comments The series I'm following Right now:
1. Stormlight Archive
2. Mistborn
3. Dune
4. Chronicles of Narnia - Abandoned after 2 books...don't know if I will continue
5. Malazan - Have read Erickson's 10 books. Yet to read Esslemont or Kharkanas Trilogy

Oh...and I almost forgot
6. Song of Ice and Fire

message 30: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) I've read so far
Mistborn
Malazan Book of the Fallen (currently reading)
Raven's Shadow
First Law Trilogy
Dresden Files

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Randy wrote: "I've been anxiously awaiting a new Dray Prescot book for years. The last three books have only been available in German...."

Wow, you've followed a series that's 48 books long!? I thought reading 16 books of Wheel of Time was a bit much on my part. (I think that's the longest I've ever stayed with a single series — and in that case it was promising an actual conclusion.)

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary White | 1 comments Jim Butcher's Dresden Files
The Green Rider books by Kristen Britain
Martin's 'A Song of Ice And Fire'
Seanan McGuire (October Daye series)
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn
Chronicles of Narnia
Mistborn
Indigo Court #2 by Yasmine Galenorn
Otherworld by Yasmine Galenorn
Allie Beckstrom by Devon Monk
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
In Death by J.D. Robb
Kitty Norville by Carrie Vaughn
Weather Warden by Rachel Caine
The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine
Mystic Wolves by Belinda Boring
Nightside by Simon R. Green
Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep
Mythos Academy by Jennifer Estep

Just off the top of my head. There are many more....

message 33: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments New Dresden Files today! Got it from Audible, abandoning all other stuff for now.

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2 comments I've been a fan of Asimov"s Foundation series & Herbert's Dune series for a very long time but haven't read any of the carry-on books by other authors. Does anyone have any opinions on how they are?

message 35: by George (new)

George Hahn | 89 comments Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson have done a good job with the Dune continuation. Foundation books have had several authors with mixed results.

message 36: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny George wrote: "Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson have done a good job with the Dune continuation. Foundation books have had several authors with mixed results."

This is probably the first time I heard somebody gave a positive comment on Brian Herbert's Dune works :) I have not read these, so I do not have my own opinion on them.

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments I found them (the Dune follow-ups) readable, barely. I'm one of those who always wants more of something I really liked, and was really interested in knowing more of the back story of Dune - the war with the machines, the beginnings of the Bene Gesserit, Tlelaxu, mentats, Spacing Guild, the feud with House Harkonen - and the new books create a plausible story for all that. At least the trilogies do, I haven't read the stand alone books.

The writing style is very, very different, it's simplistic and action oriented, weak characters, etc. I skimmed through a lot because I just wanted to know the basic ideas of the plots.

Also, I don't know how much, if any, of it was truly based on Herbert's notes, but if that ending was the ending he had planned - all I can say is WTF!!I CAN'T EVEN!?!

message 38: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 127 comments Haha, fair enough.

message 39: by George (new)

George Hahn | 89 comments Evgeny wrote: "George wrote: "Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson have done a good job with the Dune continuation. Foundation books have had several authors with mixed results."

This is probably the first time I he..."

Well, I enjoyed them. As someone else commented, the writing style is different. And I do like continued series, and outside SF, read a lot of Robert Parker and John Sandford because I want to see what happens next to the characters (or what happened before).

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2 comments Thanks for the input. I guess I'll give the carry-on stories a whirl. I'll let you know later if I think it was worth it. Right now I just started Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars series.

Matthew Reads Junk (matthewreadsjunk) | 35 comments Right know the Malazan novels by Steven Erikson. I've read 5 of them so far and am eager to start the 6th.
I also dont want to read through them all in one sitting and wish to make the experience last. I'll read one or two a year.

Anything by Alistar Reynolds as well. And the 3rd book in the Magister trilogy by Friedman.

Granted there are many more series I have -stopped- reading. As I'm older and more discerning, I realize it's not worth the effort and I don't need to read something I don't like just for completionist sake.

message 42: by George (new)

George Hahn | 89 comments The Red Mars series was good. There are four, and the fourth is a parallel telling of the first three from a different perspective.

message 43: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow Hmm I could think of a lot to list, but a few of my absolute favorites and anxiously awaiting the next books:
Gentlemen Bastards by Scott Lynch
Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs
Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews

message 44: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 45 comments I read Weber, both Honor and Safehold. I also read the Jack Campbell books, and Mike Moscoe's Kris Longknife series.

I follow a few indie Space Opera series but tend to blow hot and cold on those.

message 45: by Jordan (new)

Jordan B. (kju42) | 5 comments G33z3r wrote: "In addition to Campbell's Lost Fleet, I'm also following Scalzi's Old Man's War, Corey's Expanse and Rusch's Diving universe, all space oper..."

You mean you haven't discovered the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson? The series is still pretty young, but it's well worth your time. I thoroughly enjoyed "The Way of Kings", and can't wait to get my hands on "Words of Radiance."

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael | 152 comments I've got a few series I follow pretty religiously.

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files
Patricia Briggs - Mercy Thompson series
Faith Hunter - Jane Yellowrock
Carrie Vaughn - Kitty Norville series
Seanan McGuire - October Daye series
David Weber - Honor Harrington series
Wen Spencer - Elfhome series

Wow, that's really heavily weighted to urban fantasy. I think I need to diversify a bit and pick up some more SF and classic fantasy titles. ;-)

message 47: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments Michael, you might like Steven Brust. His Jhereg series is more serial than epic, and very fun, good stuff. First book is Taltos I believe.

message 48: by Trine (new)

Trine Paulsen | 22 comments Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock)
Seanan McGuire (Incryptid and October Daye)
Jacqueline Carey (d'Angeline series)
Anything by Elizabeth Bear and Catherynne Valente
Mary Robinette Kowal (Glamorist series)
Marie Brennan (Onyx Court and Lady Trent series)
Gail Carriger (Parasol Protectorate and Finishing School)

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 02, 2014 08:28AM) (new)

Michael wrote: "Wow, that's really heavily weighted to urban fantasy. I think I need to diversify a bit..."

I noticed you and I have a number of military SF likes in common: Dicksons' Dorsai (Childe cycle), Moon's Vatta's War, Huff's Valor, Weber's Harrington. Have you tried Campbell's Lost Fleet? Or Bujold's Vorkosigan saga?

We have a Military SF Suggestions topic if you'd like to expand it, too.

message 50: by Michael (last edited Sep 02, 2014 01:36PM) (new)

Michael | 152 comments Michele wrote: "Michael, you might like Steven Brust. His Jhereg series is more serial than epic, and very fun, good stuff. First book is Taltos I believe."
Thanks, Michele! Unfortunatly, it does not seem to be available on Kindle (my reading format of choice). Maybe I can find them in hard copy at the library or local used book store.

G33z3r wrote: "Michael wrote: "Wow, that's really heavily weighted to urban fantasy. I think I need to diversify a bit..."

I noticed you and I have a number of military SF likes in common: Dicksons' [book:Dorsai..."

I've read all the Vorkosigan books except (I think) the most recent one. I have to admit I enjoyed the earlier Miles books better, before was forced to give up the Covert Ops work to be an Imperial Auditor. I've got a copy of the first book (Dauntless?) but have not read it yet. I'll need to move it up on my list.

Meanwhile, I thought of another series I've been following:

Marion G. Harmon (Wearing the Cape series) - its a superhero novel series that focuses on a young woman who develops super powers, and how she adjusts to her new life. Three books plus a short story so far, with a fourth book on the way.

« previous 1 3