What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > female author writes about her family life and an older brother with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. He was very intelligent and misunderstood by his family. He committed suicide and was found by his sister.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments I read this non-fiction book before 2006, if memory serves me. I was reading books about bipolar disorder, depression and suicide. This book was more of a memoir, written by the sister who found her brother who had ingested pills and placed a plastic bag over his head. He was living alone in 1 room. I think the city was New York. He was brilliant, misunderstood by all of his family members except the one sister. It was a very touching and insightful book, not a book that mainly dealt with suicide in general. It was more her story, talked about her growing up years, what her family was like (normal, intelligent parents) and how hard it was to deal with the brother she loved.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Chris, are you still looking for this book?

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Chris, are you still looking for this book?"
Talk about a delayed response (from me, I mean)...yes, I would like to reread this non-fiction book, but I still can't remember the title or the author. Doesn't look like I will remember any time in the near or distant future, so I guess I'll try to forget about remembering this memorable true story. :(

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Don't give up - you never know when someone might recognize your book. It will help if you bump the thread every few months or so to get new members looking at it.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 178 comments Mad House: Growing Up in the Shadow of Mentally Ill Siblings by Clea Simon

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 6: by N (new)

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments I don't think this is the exact one you're looking for, because some of the details vary, but in case you are interested in something similar, there is Elizabeth Swados' The Four of Us: A Family Memoir

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 32 comments This is one that I might have read. Is the setting very urban? Does the sister look for her brother in a large city at one point? Do they frequently mention their mother's favorite lipstick, Cherries in the Snow? (I might be confusing two books here.) I've searched, but none of the books that pop up are what I'm looking for.

message 8: by N (new)

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments re: The Four of Us, looking for her brother in a large city might be right; the lipstick I don't remember. There's a Kirkus review, if that helps, too https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments Sharon wrote: "This is one that I might have read. Is the setting very urban? Does the sister look for her brother in a large city at one point? Do they frequently mention their mother's favorite lipstick, Cherri..."
Sharon, I do believe the setting is (was) urban, NYC I think, because I remember that the mentally ill grown-up brother (older than his sister) once walked for so many blocks to visit his sister (the author of the book) that he wore holes in the soles of his shoes. He was not at all fazed by this. I want to say that he was in the manic phase of bipolar disorder. I have forgotten why she was prompted to visit him at one point (in the rooming house or low rent room where he was staying), but she found him lying fully clothed in his bed, an empty pill bottle on his nightstand and a plastic bag over his head. He had committed (completed) suicide. She was the only one in her family who really understood his mental illness & suicide. I think the family resided in another part of the state, or maybe out of NY. He was intellectually a brilliant young man. Once he became mentally ill (bipolar disorder maybe?) he was unable to function in society as he previously had (could not hold a job, barely scraping by). He just couldn't cope with living with his mental illness, knowing that he was not the same guy he was before he became mentally ill and was diagnosed. I know he had an advanced university degree (math, physics or something similar but I can't remember specifically) and he was intellectually brilliant and extremely sensitive. The book was not called "A Beautiful Life". It was a memoir (not fiction) written by the sister who understood him best and needed to write his story to help others understand how conflicted someone like) her brother was and how he became exhausted living with mental illness. I just can't remember the author talking about her mother's lipstick, but you may be onto something...Chris

Nancy wrote: "I don't think this is the exact one you're looking for, because some of the details vary, but in case you are interested in something similar, there is Elizabeth Swados' [book:The Four of Us: A Fam..."

Nancy wrote: "I don't think this is the exact one you're looking for, because some of the details vary, but in case you are interested in something similar, there is Elizabeth Swados' [book:The Four of Us: A Fam..."

message 10: by Chris (last edited Apr 30, 2017 02:13AM) (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Don't give up - you never know when someone might recognize your book. It will help if you bump the thread every few months or so to get new members looking at it."
Thanks for the advice LG. P.S. Love your photo, but why block out your mouth in the picture? Truly, the picture you have posted resembles my deceased Polish grandmother (though she had a fairly wrinkle free face). I don't have a picture of myself posted on this forum since I don't know how to do it, believe it or not! I'm not what you'd call "computer or tech savvy" and I am organizationally disabled...I haven't been able to keep up with documenting all the books I've read. I initially began doing so, but it took too much time so I just stopped doing it. Consequently, I don't have a current record of "books I've read" or I'd know what book I was asking about in this query!

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments Nancy wrote: "re: The Four of Us, looking for her brother in a large city might be right; the lipstick I don't remember. There's a Kirkus review, if that helps, too https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re......"
This is one of the many titles I looked at during my search and it is not the book I'm thinking of, but thanks so much for your response/ trying to help me find the book!

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments Heather wrote: "Mad House: Growing Up in the Shadow of Mentally Ill Siblings by Clea Simon

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4..."

Thanks for your suggestion, but this isn't the book I was thinking of...I did check this title out in my search.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments Heather wrote: "Mad House: Growing Up in the Shadow of Mentally Ill Siblings by Clea Simon

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4..."

I did check this title, but it's not the one. Thanks!

Lobstergirl wrote: "Don't give up - you never know when someone might recognize your book. It will help if you bump the thread every few months or so to get new members looking at it."

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments Sharon wrote: "This is one that I might have read. Is the setting very urban? Does the sister look for her brother in a large city at one point? Do they frequently mention their mother's favorite lipstick, Cherri..."
Sharon, I posted a long winded reply (at least I thought I did) but I don't see it posted after your response. Maybe I sent it privately? I don't know what I did, but I attempted to reply to you. Did you receive a reply from me on Sunday, April 30th, 2017 at the ungodly hour of around 0500 hrs.?

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Chris wrote: "Love your photo, but why block out your mouth in the picture? "

Thank you. The black bar across my mouth represents GR censorship, the many times Goodreads has tried to silence users - first, several years ago they deleted many members' shelves whose names they found offensive or names which referred to bad author behavior. GR doesn't like it when you criticize author behavior. It also represents member accounts that have been deleted for being too critical of bad author behavior. It also represents GR censorship in the official groups such as Feedback (from which I was banned for mentioning plagiarizing authors), in which you are not allowed to link to bad author behavior or to any specific user, and in the Librarian Group, where I have had many posts deleted by the moderator there.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (rollergirl55) | 9 comments Wow...I'm just curious...with regards to "bad author behaviour"...is the intention to simply censor members' comments or for reasons of liability? (web site owners being sued by authors, etc. for potential "libel" posted on the site?) I try to analyze issues such as this from the perspectives of all parties involved (humanly impossible, I know). So my question is "does said censorship involve controlling freedom of speech (or written material, in this case), or does it originate from legal advisors who are employed by web site owners to prevent potential law suits"?

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

My sense is it's primarily not to offend authors in the author program. GR gets revenue from selling advertising space to authors.

message 18: by Ayshe (last edited May 28, 2017 08:35AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4163 comments Wake Me When It's Over maybe?

There's something about him preferring to walk: She said it was hard to believe that just five days ago, he'd walked clear across the city from the room he rented in Uptown to have dinner at home, a trek that took him a little over three hours. He preferred walking to swifter modes of travel...
https://books.google.com/books?id=sY8...

According to Mother Jones Magazine, June 1989:
By her own account, her brother's suicide a few years earlier was a central crisis in her life, and her childhood family, not her grown-up one, is the memoir's real subject. But her publisher still opted to market the book as the "memoir of a working supermom."

message 19: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4163 comments Chris wrote: "...I don't have a picture of myself posted on this forum since I don't know how to do it, believe it or not!..."

This: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3... lists the steps if you want to upload one.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Chris, are you still looking for this or did you find it?