The One (The Selection, #3) The One discussion

*WARNING SPOILERS* Feelings about Celeste?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Allie How do you guys feel about Celeste in The One and her death?
I actually started to LOVE Celeste and her sass. Then at the end she has a entire sentence about her death. Just one. ONE. Celeste definitely deserved to live- in my opinion of course.

Sarah I feel the same way. I was finally starting to like Celeste and then she just died. I'm, at least, glad that America and Celeste started to get along.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "I feel the same way. I was finally starting to like Celeste and then she just died. I'm, at least, glad that America and Celeste started to get along."

I felt the same way! I really liked her character in this book but then she was shot! I agree there should have been more than 1 sentence about her death.

Ilana i agree with you but i think that there was a point to making you really like her in the end. i think that the way that Ms Cass wrote her was really a nice conclusion. given that we hated her until the last 1/3 or so - when we got to see her break down and see why she was the way that she was - how she feared her own value in the future after she got older. while i would have been just as happy if she stayed alive, i get it - i understand why she was killed. i don't necessarily say that about others - but for Celeste at least i do.

Elise I agree wholeheartedly. Even if she and America didn't become friends by the end, she still deserved more time spent on the fact that she was shot in the head. America doesn't even lament over the fact that she's dead. I found that very rushed. Like Cass just needed to finish the book and couldn't spare more words for Celeste.

Ilana Elise wrote: "I agree wholeheartedly. Even if she and America didn't become friends by the end, she still deserved more time spent on the fact that she was shot in the head. America doesn't even lament over the ..."

i agree a little on the rushed part if for nothing else the point where maxon was on the ground, then quickly getting to aspen getting Mer otu of the room, to where we find that the royals are dead. it was over really fast....

Paola Valerio she wants to be remembered forever, she has to die, she is a martyr now

Carla Antonia i love how celeste and america becomes friends in the thrid book but the ending felt rush like cass was running out of time. and i wish we could see their life after the wedding

message 9: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max I think the reason why we all fell in love with Celeste is cus we saw that she's 'human' as well. Like when I saw her crying and knew her story I just oh god bby im so sorry for hating you im happy you feel sorry for everything you've done. GOD I REALLY FELT V HAPPY WHEN SHE WAS APOLOGIZING TO EVERYONE and gosh her sassss with Americaaaa is just perfect. I WAS ALREADY PICTURING HER BEING BFFSIES WITH MERICA AND MARLEE HAVING LAME TEAPARTIES IN THE PALACE BEING HELLA GREAT BUDDIES.

It just crushed me when he head got fricking blown off. I HAD TO READ IT A DOZEN TIMES BEFORE IT SANK IN.I JUST NOOOOOOOO.

also i wish we get a and epilogue epilogue-- you feel? like i wanna see them little kids runnin around the palace wreckin up the place.

message 10: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Zuniga I absorbed that Celeste died, BECAUSE SOME TWIT SPOILED ME! But Anne's death was the one that never really sunk in.

Jacque Personally, I thought Celeste was a tad forced. Her apology was genuine definitely, but a little random. I wish it would have been in the making through the second installment. Oh well... I'm glad they were all on good terms before she died at least.

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen The book ended badly, everyone who was an issue just got killed off. So randomly an attack happens? And what if the attack didn't happen... MAXON WLD'VE MARRIED KRIS FOR HIS STUPIDITY. I hate Aspen and Maxon now... Celeste deserved to live... she was the only character that grew up during the book and found herself.

Lilly Santiago CELESTE AND AMBERLY SHOULD HAVE LIVED AND AMERICA'S FATHER I loved the book but was so angry with the dvd I missed her Celeste she was annoying but I loved the girl and I asked Amberly and America's father after everything she'd fine through the least she deserves was for her father to give her to Maxon in her wedding day! Other than that it was a good book

Jennifer When I read the part when Celeste had gotten shoot!
My damn heart could not take it..I thought I was going to die o-o like dang..I was getting to love her character!

Sammy i wished she lived so she could have been at the wedding. I started to love her. but I still loved the book

message 16: by gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

gina I Loved Celeste! It was a shocker when she died. I cried when Maxon parents died especially queen Amberly. I didn't mind when Maxons father died if he didn't I don't think maxon would marry America. And if he was still alive The king would make Americas life a living hell.

Jenny I adored Celeste and I am livid that she died. I literally say there staring at the page, with my mouth hanging open when she died. Celeste was supposed to be a bridesmaid along with Marlee or May and everything would be all nice and dandy. Celeste's sass had me cracking up! When she said something like, "You bitch, I knew you would come back" I burst out laughing and my classmates were staring at me.

Sarah^.^ I really liked Celeste in this book. She knew that what she was doing was wrong and actually changed. I got really mad when she died because she deserved to live. I feel that she was more of a sister to America because the way she asks what's wrong and all her sass really warmed my heart. She should've lived and be at America's wedding and be like a bridesmaid. It wasn't fair. I actually thought Kriss should've died.

Jayla Near the end I loved Celeste. She apologized to America and the other girls and her sass made me smile. And I agree. One scentance was not enough. She's not the type of girl who I think should've had a heroic death but she deserved more then one sentance. She became a really important character to me and I am sad that she had go die. Although I think someone important had to die to get the whole battle thing started so I understand why kierra chose for that to happen and I don't hold hold it against her for doing so

Dramapuppy I don't like Celeste's character. In the first two books she was a horrible person and her change for the better in The One came out of no where. At the end of The Elite she was a villain and by her second scene in The One, she was a completely different person. Because Cass wasted this opportunity for character development, I have no idea how to feel about her death.

Angel Shelton I really started to like her and her attitude, but then she just died and i really got upset, cause she started to grow on me. I feel like she didn't need to die, although i have a question wat happened to Queen Amberly's sister and her sister's chidren????

Rou Min Interesting how if you were to tell me two books ago I'll eventually like and care for Celeste I will laugh at you and that I wanted her to die the moment we read about her in the second book. Now in the third book I feel like not only did she grew on me but is also one changed and grew for the better. I was shock at the ending for her. Either way I am just glad she made amends with the other girls especially Elise. I wish Kiera Cass didn't kill her off but at the end she has her reasons which I respect.

message 23: by Dramapuppy (last edited May 15, 2014 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dramapuppy What do you feel Celeste's motive for change was? Why did she stop being horrible? I felt it was abrupt and unexplained but what did you think?

Carla Antonia I think Celeste change because she regret the things she did.

Dramapuppy But what caused her to regret the things she did? It's unrealistic to believe that this would happen randomly.

isabel I WAS STARTING TO LIKE HER AND THEN SHE DIED YEAH THAT SUCKS

Britt I was so disappointed that Celeste died! I really started to like her friendship with America and felt that she felt bad for sabotaging others in the competition. I also felt her death was a abrupt, and it should have been more impactful and thought out.

Britt Elise wrote: "I agree wholeheartedly. Even if she and America didn't become friends by the end, she still deserved more time spent on the fact that she was shot in the head. America doesn't even lament over the ..."

I agree! I wish that her death would have been dwelt over a little longer, because it felt so rushed to me.

Sierra Franklin I have no problem with Celeste and America becoming friends and no problem that Celeste died a better person. I do have a problem with how it happen. It was random, rushed, and not properly developed. I mean, one second Celeste is being her normal terrible self and the next second she is a completely different character. I wasn't happy or sad with her death.

message 30: by Renee (new)

Renee T Allie wrote: "How do you guys feel about Celeste in The One and her death?
I actually started to LOVE Celeste and her sass. Then at the end she has a entire sentence about her death. Just one. ONE. Celeste defin..."

Of course Celeste deserved to live. But the author was closely impacted by a mass shooting, and I think that really impacted her.

Storm Arashi In the first two books, I loved to hate Celeste, but then in the final book she was just such a fun character. I loved how she was like: "I knew you could do it ya bitch!"

Muse-ic ♬ Honestly, by the end of the One, I really didn't want Celeste to die. I wanted her to have a happily ever after! why couldn't they have killed Kriss?

Storm Arashi Muse-ic wrote: "Honestly, by the end of the One, I really didn't want Celeste to die. I wanted her to have a happily ever after! why couldn't they have killed Kriss?"

After what Kris caused Maxon to nearly do, I wanted her dead too.

Muse-ic ♬ What I though was weird though was when she first had her redemption with America in the library and America told her that Kriss was also at the top. Celeste asks her "Do you need me to break her leg? I can make it happen." I would have been all for Kriss out of the selection but it's not a sport. Breaking her leg wouldn't have gotten her eliminated. Just a thought :)

Storm Arashi Muse-ic wrote: "What I though was weird though was when she first had her redemption with America in the library and America told her that Kriss was also at the top. Celeste asks her "Do you need me to break her l..."

Yeah but Celeste has caused some gals to go home before. owo

Muse-ic ♬ yeah but Kriss has so much motivation that a broken leg wasn't gonna cause her to go home...unfortunately.

message 37: by Majo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Majo Just when i was liking Celeste!!!! And they killed her! I don't know how to feel! it was so sudden just so short and not LONG!!! She died there in the chair I almost cried.

Dramapuppy I felt like Celeste's turnaround was forced. There was no apparent cause and it seemed really unrealistic. I still didn't like her. I can't forgive her for eliminating those other girls until she REALISTICALLY changes.

Allison In The first two books, I wanted to punch her in the face, but I really liked how she turned around and was happy. I was really sad when she died. :-(

El aus Slytherin It was the biggest plot twist in this book and maybe the only one I really liked. I hoped that she would make it to the end but sadly...no. It's really bad when authors don't know when there's enough death.

message 41: by Renee (new)

Renee T {lucy's reading corner} wrote: "It was the biggest plot twist in this book and maybe the only one I really liked. I hoped that she would make it to the end but sadly...no. It's really bad when authors don't know when there's enou..."

And too bad when life doesn't know when there's enough death, and yet we all die. All of us. Crap, that's too many.

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc I thought it was supposed to be a symbol. She wanted to be remembered forever and now she died young. But she is still a martyr.

Courtney Schantz Celeste's character really makes you think about our willingness to forgive and forget, as it were.
Throughout the first two installments we see her becoming the stereotypical mean-girl antagonist who has everything the protagonist does not.
Over the course of the book, she torments the other candidates, forcing some to go back home in extreme cases. She's an obvious monster, no doubt.
But suddenly, she feels bad, apologizes, and everything is ok? How can that be?
I think the reason why so many readers could forgive her so easily is because AMERICA forgave her so easily. It's really hard to like a character when the protagonist hates them, and vice versa (with some exceptions of course.)
Some would say her death was justified, and to a degree it might, but should her unruly and blatantly childish behavior warrant her death? Personally, I say no.
Our penchant for wanting revenge and justice really gets in the way of our sympathy, doesn't it?

Dramapuppy I didn't forgive her. I mean, she didn't DESERVE to die, but I'm not going to shed any tears.

Kate Well, I don't totally disagree with her death, but I wish she had had more recognition.

Dramapuppy I wish her transformation had been more realistic. It was cool and I like that she got redemption but I just didn't believe it. It was too fast.

message 47: by Indy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Indy I wish she didn't die. Celeste was one of my favorite characters, even when she was really mean. I thought her character gave the series personality. When she changed I was happy that she and America were friends. someone needed to take marlee's place as america's friend.

Muse-ic ♬ Yeah they also needed that one or two mean girls that is/are always present where there are competitions over a boy ^^ she gave the series pizzazz!!

message 49: by Sami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sami I personally was not a huge fan a Celeste in the first or second book. I did however try and think of why she was behaving the way she did and I came to my own conclusion of her being afraid of disappointing her family or furthermore not proving to herself she was good enough for the position of queen. In the One I have to say when she began to develop a relationship with America I began to love her character. While is still held a small mistrust and resentment of her for the things she did I understood why. She being model knew she would eventually fade out and no person wants to loose all that they have including her. Then at the end when she died I was miserable I didn't honestly think that she deserved to die. Especially after her true character and motives began to show. Overall I thought she was a wonderful character.

message 50: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe Tribley Celeste was one bad ass bitch. Or just a bitch. Whether you hated her in the first couple books (which by a short scan through this review, most of you felt that way) or not, it doesn't matter. celeste was vital in the growth of the selection because she created tension and fused drama in this shitty ass series.

Of course you're going to hate her in the first couple books. That's exactly what Cass did to you and intended to do when writing this bitchy spoiled girl messin up shit. but I would just like to acknowledge that she had more consistency that America and I for one, thought she was way better.

No I am not saying I'd want Celeste with Maxon over America (those two stubborn bihs can have each other) but I'm just saying that as a person, Celeste was a lot stronger and more concrete in who she was. America just ran around whining about everything and having this unnecessary war between her and Maxon and ESPECIALLY her and herself (which Cass tortured us with). Every time that Maxon would show affection to her, America still couldn't get over the fact that one. she was in the selection, she decided to stay in this remix of the Bachelor and OF COURSE the prince is dividing his attention between other people. it's not just about you America. How do you think Maxon has been feeling about this entire thing, never knowing if someone loves him for him or for his status or their own personal gain.

SECOND. She literally caused all these problems. Maxon didn't immediately choose her? because her stubborn ass never said she loved him. She kept saying "I wasn't going to be the first one to say it..." and I'm sitting her just gagging on how much of a fickle and IMMATURE bitch this girl can be. She gets caught with Aspen, causing Maxon to insta ostracize her? Because she wouldn't shut her fat mouth and let Aspen tell her that he was in love with someone else. Instead she just thought that she was hurting a person who loved the shit out of her and she and her thirsty ass needed to make sure that this poor soul didn't leave her, the only one he loved.

At least with Celeste, she knew exactly what she wanted and she actually DEVELOPED THROUGH THE SERIES. (yeah good job Cass. At least you had one example of character development) After coming to terms with the truth, she stopped being shady and actually became a good ass person. She grew. AND THEN SHE HAD TO FUCKING DIE?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I loved Celeste because she had redeeming qualities in a basket of characters that was drowned in stubborness, fatal pride, and fickle feelings.

« previous 1