What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Aloha, Yesterday
This topic is about Aloha, Yesterday
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Romance novel set in Hawaii, main character Christine had married into a navy family and her husband died, the family brought in a famous writer to write a book about him. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nassy (new)

Nassy (nassynas) | 11 comments I'm trying to remember the name of a book I read a while ago. It was a romance novel set in Hawaii. The main character Christine had married into a navy family and her husband died, the family brought in a famous writer to write a book about him and Christine has to hide the fact that her husband was not the hero everyone thought he would be and eventually falls in love with the writer. Has anyone read this book? Ideas?

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 11 comments I have not read this, but it sounds interesting! I'll be following this thread.

Do you remember when you read the book? Or when, approximately, it would have been published? It would also be helpful to know the time and setting of this book (contemporary, WWII, etc.). Good luck!

message 3: by Nassy (new)

Nassy (nassynas) | 11 comments It's really good. I read it a few years ago but the book seemed really old so maybe published in the 90s or even earlier. The book was contemporary.i remember a few more details if that helps, Christine's late husbands family are very rigid and proper and want her to marry her husbands brother, the writer helps her come out of her she'll eg dress her age move into her own apartment that sort of thing.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39319 comments Mod
Nassy, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Nassy (new)

Nassy (nassynas) | 11 comments Still looking, can’t believe I haven’t found it

message 6: by Kris (last edited Mar 01, 2020 12:31PM) (new)

Kris | 35181 comments Mod
Nassy, how did her husband die? Was her husband physically abusive? Why does the family want her to marry her brother-in-law?

Can you tell us more about the heroine - e.g., her age, job/skills/hobbies, how/where she met her husband, why they married, family/kids/friends, hometown?

message 7: by Nassy (new)

Nassy (nassynas) | 11 comments Her husband died in the navy, at first everyone thought it was heroic then I think it came out later that he might have made a mistake. A few more details I remember, the writers name was nick. There was also a huge hurricane supposed to hit the island towards the end of the book. I’m sorry I don’t remember more it’s been almost 15 years since I read it and it was an old book then. I’m thinking it was probably mills and boon or harlequin but I can’t be sure

message 8: by Kris (new)

Can we eliminate The Lost Valentine (1996) by James Michael Pratt?

Search = https://www.worldcat.org/advancedsear... > Keyword: husband navy | Subject: relationship | 1960-2005 ? | Not juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

message 9: by Nassy (new)

Nassy (nassynas) | 11 comments Yes, the heroines name was for sure Christine. I remember because I learnt the Hawaiian version of it is kilikina which is such a pretty name.

message 10: by Nassy (new)

Nassy (nassynas) | 11 comments I found it!!! I used the world cat advanced search which I saw from the above comment, I didn’t know about it before. It’s called Aloha yesterday, by Meredith Kingston. I’m so happy!

message 11: by Kris (new)

Great! Glad you found your book Nassy. Here's the link - Aloha, Yesterday by Aloha, Yesterday. (Worldcat.org is very helpful for tracking down old books.)