What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Tours of the Black Clock
This topic is about Tours of the Black Clock
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SF, time travel, alternative history, WWII, Nazi. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Connor Mooney (anticonnor) | 3 comments I'm trying to recall the name of a book I read several years ago, and my google-fu is not helping. It was a book I grabbed randomly off of the shelf at a thrift store based on the premise on the jacket sounding interesting.

The book is in the time travel/historical fiction genre, though the time travel is more metaphysical than technological. An author has inherited a blueprint of a house that is really a schematic of time, and by mentally entering the rooms in the blueprint he can will himself into the past.

Many of the details escape me, but one of the protagonists becomes a propagandist for the Nazis. This propagandist sees a woman in a window and falls in love, but does not get a chance to meet her. He cannot stop thinking of her and decides to will himself from the reality where they do meet and conceive a child.

The book then follows the child, who grows up feeling displaced in time, due to his father's reality warping nature. I can't recall much else of the book except for the ending: The kid (who is now a man covered in thick white wool) decides to escape the never ending cycle of trying to rewrite history by joining a herd of buffalo or bison as they stampede through time.

I don't even remember if I liked the book, but something about it certainly stuck with me, and I'd love to give it a re-read if I could just find the title. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments So, was he a propagandist during, or before WWII? What was the nature of the alternative history?

If you can pinpoint where the history diverged, there's a huge list of divergence points in althistory, with books listed that have those break points.

Connor Mooney (anticonnor) | 3 comments Hi Justanotherbiblophile,
Again, my memory is pretty hazy on the details, but I believe that Nazi occupied territories of early WWII were used as a back drop, and the book didn't focus too much on the scope of the war or the major political/military players. The protagonist who inserts himself as a Nazi propagandist during WWII doesn't seem interested in changing the outcome of the war, so much as he is escaping his personal demons. I guess that it's less alternative history and more timey-wimey.
I think that the 3 points that stuck out for me are 1) the blueprint of a house of time, 2) a man who wills himself into a parallel reality to conceive a child with a woman he was never meant to meet, and 3) the child becomes an adult and joins a herd of buffalo who stampede through time.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32027 comments Mod
Connor, what year did you read this book? "Several years" will mean different things to different people.

Can you tell us more about the hero - e.g., his location/country, job, age, family/friends, personality, etc.?

What about the house - e.g., country mansion, derelict building, plantation estate, etc.?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
Connor, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

Connor Mooney (anticonnor) | 3 comments Hi Lobstergirl... yeah, I found this one about a year ago. It's Tours of the Black Clock by Steve Erickson. I'll definitely be reading more of his work!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32027 comments Mod
Great. Glad you found your book, Connor. Thanks for the update.