The History Book Club discussion

ARCHIVE > ANNE-METTE'S 50 B00KS READ IN 2016

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Anne-mette, here is your new thread in 2016. Happy reading in the new year.

Our Required Format:

JANUARY

1. My Early Life, 1874-1904 by Winston S. Churchill by Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill
Finish date: January 2016
Genre: (whatever genre the book happens to be)
Rating: A
Review: You can add text from a review you have written but no links to any review elsewhere even goodreads. And that is about it. Just make sure to number consecutively and just add the months.

message 2: by Anne-Mette (last edited Jun 05, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt Thanks, Jill.

message 3: by Anne-Mette (last edited Jun 12, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt JANUARY

1. Dark Secrets (Sebastian Bergman, #1) by Michael Hjorth by Michael Hjorth Michael Hjorth
Finish date: January 13th.
Genre: Crime
Rating: 5/5 stars
Review: A Swedish Who dunnit fiction series part 1 following the police "travel team" chasing the murderer of a young boy. The team is assisted by a psychiatrist, Sebastian Bergman, who has a lot of skeletons in the closet. The book is both amusing and breathtaking. A true page turner.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Before you go any further, we need to clarify the format to be used for this thread. Please go to the following link which instructs you as to how to use book citations. Make the appropriate changes which I will walk you through and we will be right on track. It just takes a little getting used to.......you will be fine.

www.goodreads.com/topic/show/287892

message 5: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt Jill wrote: "Before you go any further, we need to clarify the format to be used for this thread. Please go to the following link which instructs you as to how to use book citations. Make the appropriate change..."

Thank you for your patience: After several hours of trying doing this right: iPad isn't the right way of doing this :-) a pc has the right commands.

message 6: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 3822 comments Mod
Anne-mette, you almost have the citations done right. If there is a photo of the author, use it as you have done, but you also need to add the author's link. If there is no photo, add "no photo" in parentheses - "no image" is used when there is no picture of the book cover, followed by a link to the book. I'm sure you'll get used to the format very soon.

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) One more thing to add to Vicki's helpful comments. The month does not have to be repeated for all books read that month.....just the first one. Also note that it is "finish date" rather than "finished".

We are not trying to overwhelm you but the format is consistent for all, so we are not being mean!!!!!!! Just want you to be on the same page with the rest of us. And you are right.....the iPad is not the best way to approach the citations.....the app is not very good.

Trust me, this will come naturally after a few tries and you will be off and running.....just remember, we are here to help you.

message 8: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 2. Disciplen (Sebastian Bergman, #2) by Michael Hjorth by Michael Hjorth Michael Hjorth
Finish date: January 23th
Review: Sebastian Bergman and the police travel team are hunting a serial killer who has at certain pattern that places Sebastian right in the centre of the case. The team's personal lives entangle with Sebastian's life though no one seem to be interested in that.

message 9: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 3. The Pearl by John Steinbeck by John Steinbeck John Steinbeck
Finish date: January 23rd
Genre: Fiction, short story
Rating: 4/5 stars
Review: A poor fisherman, Kino, lives a harsh life with his wife and little son. He dreams of being able to give his family more than he can right now. One day, his son gets stung by a scorpion and he hopes the doctor in town will help. Since Kino has no money, the doctor refuses to help. While his wife is watching over the little boy, Kino goes out fishing for mussles in hope of finding pearls to pay the doctor, he finds a huge pearl. Just about then the real problems begin.

message 10: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 4. Fortidens slagmarker by Jeanette Varberg by Jeanette Varberg (no photo)
Finish date: January 24th
Genre: Non-fiction
Review: The museum director, Jeanette Varberg goes through various archeology-findings in Denmark and northern Europe and gives valid suggestions of what might have happened more than 3500 years ago on the Battlefield of the past.

message 11: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 5. All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven by Jennifer Niven Jennifer Niven
Finish date: January 30th
Genre: Young adult, mental health, realistic fiction
Review: The young Theodor Finch changes moods - he flip-flops between a death wish and life-loving. He meets Violet who grieves over the death of her sister nine months earlier. Together the two fragile personalities find happiness doing a school project. But there are many bumps on the road.

message 12: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt FEBRUARY

6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë by Charlotte Brontë Charlotte Brontë
Finish date: February 1st
Genre: Historical fiction, classics
Rating: 3/5 stars
Review: Jane Eyre is an orphan raised at a charity school. She is clever and a good girl. She falls in love with a man, gets married and longs for a rich and succesful life in the old Victorian days.

message 13: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 7. After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes by Jojo Moyes Jojo Moyes
Finish date: February 6th
Genre: Fiction, chick lit
Rating: 3/5 stars
Review: I read and loved "Me before you" so much and I knew that it would be risky for both the author and me to pick up the story where it ended. What would happen to Louisa next? Nothing! Page after page the story of life after Will Traynor is the never ending treading mill.

message 14: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 8. Orlandos Døtre by Anne Mette Bruun by Anne Mette Bruun (no photo)
Finish date: February 18th
Genre: Biography, non fiction
Review: I have for quite some time been wanting to dive into the life and writings of Virginia Woolf. Why did she want to commit suicide and even try to several times? What kind of life did she live, how was her relationship to her sister and how did that reflect on her texts and novels? I wanted to understand Virginia Woolf and with this biography I think I got a good view into a suffering but especially talented soul.

message 15: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 9. Fjeldgraven (Sebastian Bergman, #3) by Michael Hjorth by Michael Hjorth Michael Hjorth
Finish date: February 20th
Review: Again Sebastian Bergman and the travel team are called out to investigate the murder of some people in the mountains of Sweden. A lot of rumble around the team members and Sebastian Bergman take over leaving the crime story mostly in the background. This book doesn't work much as a crime story to me. But it builds up to the next which hits me hard :-)

message 16: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 10. Den stumme pige (Sebastian Bergman, # 4) by Michael Hjorth by Michael Hjorth Michael Hjorth
Finish date: February 26th
Review: In this the fourth book in the series of Sebastian Bergman and the travel team of Sweden's Police the crime story is the centre of the story while the problems and scandals of the teammembers around in the right amounts. The silent girl witnesses the murder of a whole family and runs away from the scene of crime. She is found by Sebastian Bergman who promises her and her mother that he will protect them. That almost cost them all their lives.

message 17: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 11. A Haunted House and Other Short Stories by Virginia Woolf by Virginia Woolf Virginia Woolf
Finish date: February 29th
Genre: British literature, fiction, short stories
Review: I chose to listen to the book instead of reading on my own. I think I lost some nerve from the words and the rythm. Virginia Woolf was very much a word and moment writer. Her texts shouldn't be swallowed like crime stories. Next time I'm to read Virginia I will read the words on my own in a quiet place.

message 18: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt MARCH

12. De uegnede (Sebastian Bergman, #5) by Michael Hjorth by Michael Hjorth Michael Hjorth
Finish date: March 11th
Review: This time we follow the Swedish Police's travel team hunting a serial killer who seems to have a higher political message. He kills young reality tv stars who do not pass a simple test of common knowledge. Sebastian Bergman is not a member of this investigation but his connection to the members of the travel team makes him entangled in the story once again.

message 19: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 13. En mand der hedder Ove by Fredrik Backman by Fredrik Backman Fredrik Backman
Finish date: March 19th.
Genre: Fiction, humor
Review: Ove is going to die. Several times during this book. He has no wish to live on after his wife died. Everyone and everything around him annoys and irritates Ove. He is planning his suicide very precisely. Somehow his neighbours manage to disturb his doings - and some of them are quite good people.

message 20: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt 14. Kunsten at tænke klart 52 tanketorsk du selv kan fange by Rolf Dobelli by Rolf Dobelli Rolf Dobelli
Finish date: March 26th.
Genre: Self help, German literature, psychology
Review: "How to think clearly" is a book about learning to see through postulates, urban myths and polititians juggling with large numbers and money amounts. Nothing new under the sun but good to keep in mind when the news overwhelms us.

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) See, i told you it would become second nature, Anne-Mette. Great job!!!!! Just takes some getting used to. Very nice reviews. You might want to put the year after the finish date but it is not a requirement since this thread is for 2016. I just do it out of habit.

message 22: by Anne-Mette (new)

Anne-Mette Brandt Thank you, Jill. It's learning by doing. Thanks for your help and support.

message 23: by Jill (last edited Jun 13, 2016 09:11AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) If you have questions or need help, ask any moderator.....we are here to be of assistance.