Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Question about the Paperwhite?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new)

C. | 70 comments Hi everyone. I have had my Kindle Touch since 10/2011, and love it.no problems ever.

Today I picked up the Paperwhite, because I just moved and there is no handy light near my recliner to read by.

I fully charged it before using it.

My question is, does anyone know, is it ok to have it plugged in while reading? I read for hours at a time, and usually at night so I would need the light, and I'm guessing the charge would drain pretty much while reading for hours!

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments I'm not sure about reading while it's plugged in, but I have a paperwhite, and it can go days between charges......and I spend a lot of time reading on it. I have the back light set at 9. I always do the charging at night while I sleep, also.

I hope this helps you!

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2679 comments My mom is on her second Paperwhite. We had problems off and on with the first one -- not being able to plug in the charger, draining down quickly, etc. She had that one for nearly two years. Then I got her a new one in January of this year.

She reads 8 to 12 hours per day. Even on the first Paperwhite, she was able to get by with a charge each night. With her new one, she charges it every 2 or 3 days.

I only read mine sporadically. I often read it during commercials. I suspect, but have never tested, that the battery lasts longer when I turn off the device before setting it down, instead of letting it shut itself off on the timer. It makes sense to me, since the light would be on until shut-down. No reason it needs to stay on.

message 4: by C. (new)

C. | 70 comments Thanks Randy, I do shut it off when I stop reading. I am going to test it and see how long I can keep reading it, before the battery gets low.

I usually read about 2-4 hours at night, sometimes most of the weekend if nothing is going on.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (vegfic) You can't read while it's plugged in. Well at least I can't, it just shows that it's charging and there's nothing I can do with it. I think this is pretty weird, considering one can use most devices just fine while they're plugged in. That's why I make sure to charge it before the battery gets too low.

message 6: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 50 comments My Paperwhite lasts long, and I read a lot in the dark. A couple of tips:

- If you put it in airplane mode, the battery will last way longer. Wireless connection drains more than the light does.

- Remember to keep the light on a low setting in the dark. You need less light to read in the dark, it's better for the eyes, and it saves the battery.

Anna wrote: "You can't read while it's plugged in. Well at least I can't, it just shows that it's charging and there's nothing I can do with it. I think this is pretty weird, considering one can use most devices just fine while they're plugged in. That's why I make sure to charge it before the battery gets too low. "

Uh, that's not how it's supposed to be. You should be able to use it while charging. Are you charging it by plugging it into a computer, perhaps? If so, it probably gets automounted, so you will probably have to unmount/eject it to be able to read.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (vegfic) It's plugged into a wall outlet. Doesn't really bother me since I have a routine of charging it often enough. Also I read using a stand that wouldn't allow having the cable connected anyway. But out of curiosity I just plugged it in to see what it actually says and looks like it thinks it's connected to a computer. Wow that is weird! Anyway, good to know that it shouldn't work this way, I'll need to investigate what's causing this.

message 8: by C. (last edited Jun 05, 2016 04:59PM) (new)

C. | 70 comments Good tip about, putting it in airplane mode, so it is not using the Wi-Fi. That is what I keep it on, because it will alert me if I need to go online to perform an action.

I always charge with a wall outlet, never the PC.