500 Great Books By Women discussion

2016 YoRWoC > Benjamin's 2016 YoRWoC

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Benjamin wrote: "Unfortunately, I have not been doing very well on my Year of Reading Women of Color goal (I'm also currently 12 books behind schedule for my 2016 Reading Challenge). Perhaps finally making a thread..."

Welcome, Benjamin! Perhaps. At any rate, you'll give others who view your thread a lot of good ideas when it comes to choosing their next YoRWoC work. Butterfly Burning and River of Fire: Aag Ka Darya are two I can personally attest to being good.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 04, 2016 05:50PM) (new)

Thank you, Aubrey! I will put Butterfly Burning and River of Fire: Aag Ka Darya at the top of my to-read list! One of these days, I also need to read the entirety of Sei Shonagon's The Pillow Book and Murasaki Shikibu's The Tale of Genji as well (I've only read excerpts of both), though I don't think I'd get to either of them this year.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 246 comments Thank you for sharing Benjamin! What a great bunch of books this is. I will watch for your reviews. Therigatha sounds particularly interesting--I wonder if I can find it anywhere ...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kathleen wrote: "Thank you for sharing Benjamin! What a great bunch of books this is. I will watch for your reviews. Therigatha sounds particularly interesting--I wonder if I can find it anywhere ..."

Thank you, Kathleen! :) I was able to get the Therigatha through my local public library as an Interlibrary Loan from a private Lutheran college in Minnesota, the state right next to me (I live in South Dakota). Hopefully you'll be able to find a copy too!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 03, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Just finished Notebooks of Elizabeth Cook-Lynn. Still working through Waterlily: New Edition, have not actually started Dreams and Thunder: Stories, Poems, and The Sun Dance Opera (but plan to really start it this weekend), and have requested Butterfly Burning and River of Fire: Aag Ka Darya as ILLs from the public library (which I unfortunately will not get before I leave town for a week to attend a conference).

I must say that after reading Notebooks of Elizabeth Cook-Lynn, I'm feeling rather guilty including American Indian authors in my YoRWoC (see my review that explains why), but since the point of this reading challenge is to read books by non-white women, I will continue to include indigenous authors for the time being.