On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

General Bookishness > Authors tours and appearances

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2461 comments Mod
Is your favorite author on tour? Let other Trail riders know here.

message 2: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

I just went to see John Hart, author of Redemption Road. After six weeks on the road, his final two stops will be at:

Eagle Eye Bookshop in Decatur, Georgia, on Tuesday, June 7th
Garden District Book Shop in New Orleans on Wednesday, June 8th.

Those interested in reading Redemption Road should be glad to know that John has expressed interest in doing an Author Q&A should the book be chosen as a group selection. From what I heard today, he has a lot of interesting things to say.
Redemption Road by John Hart

message 3: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 137 comments Tom wrote: "I just went to see John Hart, author of Redemption Road. After six weeks on the road, his final two stops will be at:

Eagle Eye Bookshop in Decatur, Georgia, on Tues..."

I heard him speak at the South Carolina Book Festival a couple of years ago and I agree...a very entertaining speaker.

message 4: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments M.O. Walsh, Michael Farris Smith, Tom Piazza, Richard Ford, Rick Bass (JOSH!!!!!), John Hart, & a boatload of others will be in Jackson, MS on August 20. The hub & I plan on driving up.

http://msbookfestival.com/

message 5: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

I'm looking forward to seeing Yaa Gyasi, the author of Homegoing: A novel in Berkeley next week. I've heard really good things about this debut novel.
Homegoing A novel by Yaa Gyasi

message 6: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3822 comments Mod
LeAnne, that sounds great! Take lots of pictures and fill us all in on what you see and hear.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 485 comments Leanne, awesome line-up of writers including Taylor Brown who wrote Fallen Land.

message 8: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Yep! And Brad Watson, Ed Tarkington, Robert Butler too.

message 9: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 1902 comments Mod
LeAnne
Josh just said "are we here"? That's some big names!

message 10: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Ha! Yep, the list is glorious. If y'all get a wild hair, Joey & I will buy you a frosty libation.

message 11: by Angela M (new)

Angela M LeAnne , hope you'll give us a full report on who you meet and hear speak . So many good authors ! If you meet Taylor Brown , please tell him I love him - well his book anyway ! Enjoy!

message 12: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments You bet, girl! Do we want a Q&A with any of these peeps as a Moderators Pick? I can ask in person.

message 13: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

LeAnne wrote: "You bet, girl! Do we want a Q&A with any of these peeps as a Moderators Pick? I can ask in person."

John Hart has already agreed.

message 14: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 1902 comments Mod
Here is the confirmed lineup for the Southern Festival of Books in Nashville in October. Donald Ray Pollock stood out as interesting. This is from early this month so by far not finalized.

http://humanitiestennessee.org/progra...

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) | 252 comments Tom - I am all for John Hart's Redemption Road Read along !!! Bought and have been wanting to read YESTERDAY !! HA!!! Be great to have a Q& A with him !!!

Dawn

message 16: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Smith | 102 comments Rae Meadows has just begun her tour to promote her last novel I Will Send Rain. First stop was Okla. City, most likely because the book is set in the Oklahoma panhandle. It was great to meet her and listen to the discussions. I hope the book receives lots of attention. The ratings are very high and it sounds as if it could be quite good.

message 17: by Brina (new)

Brina Rae is active on goodreads. If we read one of her books, she would probably participate in a q & a.

message 18: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Kirk , how wonderful that you were able to meet Rae Meadows. I read an advance copy of the book and I thought it was terrific. It was 5 stars for me. Highly recommended!

message 19: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Smith | 102 comments Brina wrote: "Rae is active on goodreads. If we read one of her books, she would probably participate in a q & a." I would suspect she would be pleased to do a q & a. She does seem to be active here on Goodreads. Out of a total of 80 friends (of mine) we already have 10 friends in common. I value my friends opinions a great deal, and those numbers spoke volumes.

message 20: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Smith | 102 comments Angela M wrote: "Kirk , how wonderful that you were able to meet Rae Meadows. I read an advance copy of the book and I thought it was terrific. It was 5 stars for me. Highly recommended!" Thanks for the endorsement Angela. I'm looking forward to it, especially knowing it's pulling 5's!

message 21: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I'll be interested in your thoughts on it , Kirk.

message 22: by Brina (new)

Brina Requesting from the library. New books always have a long wait time.

message 23: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I've requested it from my library as well. And the NYT Book Review on Sunday had a half page ad for the book, so it's getting some press. I'll have to check her Web page if she has one to see if she's coming near me.

message 24: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Smith | 102 comments Diane wrote: "I've requested it from my library as well. And the NYT Book Review on Sunday had a half page ad for the book, so it's getting some press. I'll have to check her Web page if she has one to see if sh..." I'm not sure when I'll start reading it, I've been planning on The Land Breakers next.

message 25: by Brina (new)

Brina Surprisingly I am only #12 on the waiting list. This is what happens when I see my friends review a book well before the release date and request from the library. Few people know about the book yet. I'm #1 for The Risen, woohoo!

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane | 738 comments I have preordered it

message 27: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 24 comments I Will Send Rain sounds like something I would enjoy. Adding to TBR.

message 28: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments As we have read and reviewed our southern lit reads, Ive been posting opinions on my "Read" shelf. Rae commented here & there, and I ended up being GR friends with her (had zero clue she was an author). She has ended up reading some of my 5 star picks over the past few months (and loving them) , so I do know she likes the same stuff we do.

Id love to do a buddy read in September if "Rain" doesnt end up a group choice. I had it pre-ordered from Amazon & am dying to get to it and Ron Rash's new one!

message 29: by Brina (new)

Brina Leanne, great minds. I'm also friends on gr with Rae. I also had no idea she was an author until Kirk brought up her book. That is how low key she is. I want to read both books as well and am dependent on the library. I am 1 for Rash and 12 for Rae pending publication. Will keep you posted.

message 30: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Brina, I think we are going to start a buddy read for Rain next week. Wonder if Net Galley provides books after the official published date?

message 31: by Brina (new)

Brina I'm not on NetGalley but I'm 5th on wait list at library down from 12. Care to wait for me, please??

message 32: by Jane (new)

Jane | 738 comments I would have gladly joined in for Rain but wont have it next week

message 33: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I've read Rain and loved it, so will join in the discussion. Did you guys see the half page ad in the NYT Book Review last week? I hope Rae will join us, there are some questions I'd like to ask her.

message 34: by Jane (new)

Jane | 738 comments It would be great if Rae did

message 35: by Brina (new)

Brina I could ask her but I'd appreciate it if y'all waited another week for me to get book. Then kids will be back in school and I will have more time to read too

message 36: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

For the NoCal members in the group, Rae will be at Book Passage in Corte Madera on August 30th.

message 37: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments ooooo, so sorry!! I have a not-hot date w my book brother to start this coming weekend and confess to having cheated a bit & started already. It is GOOD. Maybe we can do two sets of buddy reads?? My suburban library is not so hot - 5th on the list would mean months of waiting. Mea culpa! I pre-ordered & have been chomping at the bit since it came in the mail. Gotta get every book in the queue read before September 6. *******RON RASH**********

message 38: by Brina (new)

Brina You are too funny. My library is good about getting me books once they are released. I am looking forward to Rae and to Rash of course. Right now I am prioritizing group reads for a few groups for both September and October. Jewish holidays and baseball playoffs literally start the same day lasting almost a month, creating a perfect storm for me--little to no time for reading. I figure if I read I can still participate in discussions later.

message 39: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Brina, are we crazy or what? We are plotting our books out as if we were invading D-Day.

message 40: by Jane (new)

Jane | 738 comments Book crazy is good

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 590 comments I agree. Book crazy is the best. ;-)

message 42: by Brina (new)

Brina I have a tentative schedule until the rest of the year.

message 43: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I schedule my books one month ahead. With 2 local book clubs and the 3 books this group reads each month, it helps me stay organized. But I always leave room for those spur of the moment books that I just can't resist.

message 44: by Jane (new)

Jane | 738 comments Ditto Diane

message 45: by Brina (new)

Brina I'm active in 4 groups on gr. Granted I don't read every book for every group. But without a 3 month plan including room for implies reads I wouldn't read anything.

message 46: by Brina (new)

Brina Down to 3 for Rae, 1 for Rash, still way down on list for Underground Railroad. At this rate I can do buddy read next week

message 47: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) | 252 comments LeAnne I am so ready for Ron Rash !!! My birthday present book ! My birthday is the 3rd and then YIIPEE !!! Ron Rash !!!! It is supposed to be really long too ! I heard it from a friend who usually makes me ill because he gets an advanced copy ! I have so much reading to catch up on and I had a stye in my eye last week . An eyelash grew the wrong way . It hurt ! I was handicapped !

It really put a damper on things . I am a visual person . I listen but I like to read and listen -- Audiables with Whyspersync and then I have to also buy the signed book for my collection . HA! Not really , but it is easier to write my reviews that way ! That is being spoiled ! Blogging is great until you have to set it up at renewal again . Another thing I need to finish -- UGGG ! Some things are just not going to happen .

My life is a Mess with whipped cream on top !
Dawn

message 48: by Brina (new)

Brina Dawn I've had styes in my eye and also puffy eyes from allergies and then I lose a day or two reading. I'm also behind. Kids have 8 more days and then it's back to school!!! I hope the library has Rash by then. In the mean time I'm also a little behind. I wanted to finish Covenant of Death today but didn't. It's an easy read but got sidetracked today. Must finish another book by the 1st that I'm facilitating in another group. I guess I will go into little engine that could mode. Y'all will see that I will finish a book a day once the kiddos are in their classrooms!!!

message 49: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) | 252 comments Brina - I KNOW YOU WILL ! I KNOW YOU WILL ! I KNOW YOU WILL ! CHOO ! CHOO! Read... Read... PUFF! PUFF!

I am traveling with you too !!!

Good Night Moon does not come until really late too !!! PUFF !!!

Dawn

message 50: by Brina (new)

Brina Ideally would love to finish 3 books by end of August and then get a leg up on October group reads. Yay.

« previous 1 3