Clean Romances discussion

General Chat > Ethical book reviewing opinions wanted.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Authors:
How do you handle reviewing other people's books? What if you don't like the book? Do you refrain from reviewing it? I don't want to seem unprofessional or say nasty things about books I don't like or harm someone's ratings. How do I handle this? I'd like to help with book reviews and such, but I would never lie and what if I hate the book?

Readers: What do you think when you see a negative review or rating posted by an author? Is it a bad idea? Should that never happen?

This is an issue I've been puzzling over for quite some time. I hope someone can help. Is there some kind of etiquette for this?

message 2: by Lynne (last edited Jun 04, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Lynne Stringer | 170 comments As an author, if I know the author whose book I'm reviewing (ie: I've met them and often chat to them online), and I didn't like the book, I won't post the review, especially if they don't have many reviews. I just don't feel comfortable with doing that if I know them personally. However, if I do post a negative review, I try and say things in a constructive manner, and try to point out some positive things as well, if there are any.

message 3: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 31 comments I'd say as an author you should best refrain from posting negative reviews unless you can cite real good reasons to dislike it.

It generally tends to leave a negative taste seeing an author diss another authors work.

However, it stands to ask what a "negative" review is?
For some that counts for any and all reviews that feature less than five stars...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for these perspectives. It's a tricky subject. And people do have different opinions on what a good review is. Three stars means someone liked the book. to me, that is positive, but to others it may be devestating. If I mark a book as read without rating it, is that the equivalent of zero stars or does it simply not calculate a rating at all?

message 5: by Sharon (last edited Jun 09, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Sharon (avid_readerss) | 7 comments Only two circumstances draw a negative review from me. If the book is so full of errors as to be an embarrassment to those of us who use professional editors and proofreaders to make certain our work is the best it can be. The other circumstance is if the book ends on a cliffhanger,

I also agree that three stars reviews are not negative. I always say what I like about a book before I point out the flaws. The true purpose of a review is to tell other potential readers if it is worth their time and money. A three-star review indicates, in my mind, that the book is satisfactory but not necessarily an award winner. Four-stars or higher is an endorsement recommending the purchase of the book.

I am always suspect of a book with nothing but five-star reviews. That suggests to me that the reviewers are not necessarily impartial. If I know an author personally I send my critical comments directly to the author, I don't post them on a review site,

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sharon wrote: "Only two circumstances draw a negative review from me. If the book is so full of errors as to be an embarrassment to those of use who use professional editors and proofreaders to make certain our w..."

I hadn't looked at it in quite this way. These are some good points. I like that you talk to the author directly.