The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Talulah A's task: Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 06, 2016 07:17PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments 20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Tallulah A's task: Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

“I live in two worlds, one is a world of books.” - Rory Gilmore

Earlier this year, it was confirmed that the television show, Gilmore Girls, would return as a limited series on Netflix.

If you've watched an episode of the Gilmore Girls, you know that Rory Gilmore is a seasoned reader. According to Australian writer Patrick Lenton, nearly 340 different texts were read, mentioned, or seen throughout the entire original series.

To celebrate the return of the series, read ONE book from the option of your choice.

Required: Indicate the option when you post.

OPTION 1: The original show follows single mother Lorelai Gilmore (portrayed by Lauren Graham) and her daughter, also named Lorelai but who prefers to be called Rory (portrayed by Alexis Bledel).

Read a book written by an author who shares a name of the two main characters or the actresses who played them: Lorelai, Gilmore, Lauren, Graham, Rory, Alexis, Bledel. Names may be used in any position but their spelling must match exactly.

Ex. Alice in Quantumland: An Allegory of Quantum Physics by Robert Gilmore | Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis

OPTION 2: Read a book from Patrick Lenton's list: THE RORY GILMORE READING CHALLENGE. Be careful, as some of the books on the list might not fit AR Bookfinder requirements.

Required: Include the book's number on Patrick's list in your post.

OPTION 3: The new limited series, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, will consist of four 90-minute episodes.

Read a book your choice that consists of at least 360 pages (a page for each minute of the series).

OPTION 4: An episode of the limited series will take place during each of the four seasons in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut.

Read a book with the word spring, summer, autumn, fall, or winter in the title, subtitle, or series name. Plurals, possessives and compound words work.

Just for Fun: Take the Rory Gilmore Reading List Challenge quiz. How many books have you read from the list?

message 2: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments *reserved*

message 3: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments *reserved*

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments This thread is now open!

message 5: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 939 comments Yay! I LOVE The Gilmore Girls. Thanks for this task.

message 6: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments I just did the challenge. I got 113/339 books. Thanks for the link! I have never watched the show.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3902 comments Question re Option 4 - word "fall" in sub/title or series name

Does "fall" have to mean the season? Or will "Fall(s)" (as in water fall or "Falls Church" or "he Falls down" work?

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7852 comments Love!

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1739 comments Just to confirm, the description says "at least 360 pages" for option 3. So that means it can be more, right?
I know it's a stupid question, but still :0)

message 10: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments Lauren wrote: "Just to confirm, the description says "at least 360 pages" for option 3. So that means it can be more, right?
I know it's a stupid question, but still :0)"

Yes! It can definitely be more.

message 11: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Question re Option 4 - word "fall" in sub/title or series name

Does "fall" have to mean the season? Or will "Fall(s)" (as in water fall or "Falls Church" or "he Falls down" work?"

It doesn't have to mean the season. All of the options you mentioned will work.

message 12: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments Ann A wrote: "Yay! I LOVE The Gilmore Girls. Thanks for this task."

Good to hear! I hope this will be a fun and easy task for everyone.

message 13: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments Dee wrote: "Love!"

*\0/* (throws confetti)

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I absolutely love this task.

I am going with The Outsiders from the Rory reading list. It has a designation of UG so it meets the rules!

message 15: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments Terri FL wrote: "I just did the challenge. I got 113/339 books. Thanks for the link! I have never watched the show."

Wow! That's the highest number I have seen so far. I scored 61/339 books.

message 16: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments Nicole wrote: "I absolutely love this task.

I am going with The Outsiders from the Rory reading list. It has a designation of UG so it meets the rules!"

I haven't read The Outsiders yet. I am starting on the RG Challenge this summer so I hope to get to The Outsiders eventually. I'll swing by your profile at the end of this season to see what you thought of the book.

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1939 comments For Option 1, if a book has multiple authors but only one has a matching name will it still work?

I am looking at The Forgotten Room. Lauren Willig is one of three co-authors.

message 18: by Tallulah A. (new)

Tallulah A. Scribbles (madhoydenish) | 138 comments Julia wrote: "For Option 1, if a book has multiple authors but only one has a matching name will it still work?

I am looking at The Forgotten Room. Lauren Willig is one of three c..."

Yes. This works.

message 19: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Took the test. I've read 212. That's quite a list.