500 Great Books By Women discussion

2016 YoRWoC > Kirstine's 2016 YoRWoC

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirstine (last edited Nov 04, 2016 01:05AM) (new)

Kirstine (kirse) | 43 comments Not sure how much time I'll have, but I'll attempt to join!

So far, since I didn't join this till now, I've only read one. But as I'm doing the same thing as last year and only reading women for the summer, I'll do my best to read a lot more.

Read
Empress - Shan Sa (Review)
Who Fears Death - Nnedi Okorafor (Review)
So Long a Letter - Mariama Bâ (Review)
Midnight Robber - Nalo Hopkinson (Review)
Human Acts - Han Kang (Review)
Binti - Nnedi Okorafor (Review)
The Vegetarian - Han Kang (Review)
Mr. Fox - Helen Oyeyemi (Review)
We should all be feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Review)
Your Illustrated Guide to Becoming One with the Universe - Yumi Sakugawa (Review)
P.S. I Still Love You - Jenny Han (Review)
The Embassy of Cambodia - Zadie Smith (Review)

Planned
Song of Solomon - Toni Morrison
Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Memory of Love - Aminatta Forna
Novel Without a Name - Dương Thu Hương

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Kirstine wrote: "Not sure how much time I'll have, but I'll attempt to join!

So far, since I didn't join this till now, I've only read one. But as I'm doing the same thing as last year and only reading women for t..."

Welcome, Kirstine! I'm glad you enjoyed 'Empress'. You've picked a lot of other good ones in your planned section. In fact, the only ones I can't attest for are the two by Okorafor-Mbachu and 'The Vegetarian'.

message 3: by Lyana (new)

Lyana Rodriguez (damesbooknook) | 19 comments I've read Zahrah the Windseeker by Okorafor-Mbachu and The Vegetarian by Han Kang. Most assuredly, the latter is awesome. I cannot wait to get my hands on Human Acts.

message 4: by Kirstine (new)

Kirstine (kirse) | 43 comments Lyana wrote: "I've read Zahrah the Windseeker by Okorafor-Mbachu and The Vegetarian by Han Kang. Most assuredly, the latter is awesome. I cannot wait to get my hands on Human Acts."

I recently got Human Acts from the library! It's up next along with another one :) And I plan on buying The Vegetarian soon.

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor was really good, actually! A sort of strange fantasy/sci-fi creation myth - or a rewriting of a creation myth, with sorcery, and a new take on being "the chosen one". I liked it!