Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Earthsea Cycle > Earthsea Cycle: A Wizard of... No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen This was the series that received second place in the poll.

Let us know if you're joining in.

message 2: by Krista (new)

Krista | 35 comments I'm in!

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 5 comments I finished this wonderful book this morning. Looking forward to discussing it with you all! :)

message 4: by Rania (new)

Rania M. (epicbooks) | 3 comments I just started it and I'm enjoying the world and the story. I on chapter 6.

message 5: by Ronald (last edited Jun 05, 2016 09:09AM) (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Finished it yesterday and I enjoyed it except for the brevity of it, it was my first time to read it too.

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen I've ordered it at the library.

message 7: by Colin (new)

Colin Anthony | 11 comments This was the series that got me into reading Fantasy back in high school. Probably been 15 years since I last read it. Gonna have to find the time to join in this read!

message 8: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 799 comments Mod
I've read this series twice and will not be rereading it with the group, but will probably lurk during the discussion ,

message 9: by Sue-Ellen (new)

Sue-Ellen (suejuddo) | 11 comments Getting more caught up and reading more of it now. Remember one scene from it, from years back and are waiting to get to that part again.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen Book one is short so....

message 11: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Helen wrote: "Book one is short so...."

Looking ahead they all seem to be pretty short

message 12: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 343 comments Mod
When they were written, publishers didn't realize that there were people that would read 1000 page books.
LOL

message 13: by Margret (new)

Margret I'm kinda glad we're doing a lighter (in page #) series right now! Summertime calls!

message 14: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "When they were written, publishers didn't realize that there were people that would read 1000 page books.
LOL"

LOL I bought The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton mostly because it was 1236 pages long but it was also on a must read sci-fi list. I haven't read it yet though lol. Darn bookbub.com for a while there I was buying books every day because they were sending me so many free, .99 and 1.99 books that I now have over 500 unread books on my Kindle. I need to quit buying new (some times old) books and read all of the ones I already have lol

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "When they were written, publishers didn't realize that there were people that would read 1000 page books.
LOL"

Ah, good point.

message 16: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Ronald wrote: "Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "When they were written, publishers didn't realize that there were people that would read 1000 page books.
LOL"

LOL I bought The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton mostly b..."

LOL
Welcome to Goodreads!
; D

message 17: by Sue-Ellen (new)

Sue-Ellen (suejuddo) | 11 comments Margret wrote: "I'm kinda glad we're doing a lighter (in page #) series right now! Summertime calls!"

It is also good for keeping me on track for my good read goal for the year, with number of books read

message 18: by Brent (new)

Brent | 38 comments I'm in.

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen The library have lost their copy, so I'm on the waiting list :(

message 20: by Krista (new)

Krista | 35 comments Helen wrote: "The library have lost their copy, so I'm on the waiting list :("

Booooo!

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen I know. Although it might be nice to have the new one in my hands!

message 22: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Maybe I'll find my copy when you get your copy.
; )
We can read together.

message 23: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Ha!
Found my copy....
after I downloaded the kindle version!

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen Lol. I'm still being patient, so far.

message 25: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

I could send you a page at a time!

; )

message 26: by Helen (new)

Helen Woohoo ;)

message 27: by Krista (new)

Krista | 35 comments Ok so I'm over half way through and took the book on a business trip....now I can't find it :(

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen Lol! You'll be on catch up with me!

message 29: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

At least it's not as long as The Stormlight Archives.

; )

message 30: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "At least it's not as long as The Stormlight Archives.

; )"

But, but, but, I love a long book and I just finished reading that exact same book two days ago lol

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen She enjoyed it too. However, I'll be able to catch up much faster on this than the other lol.

message 32: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Way of Kings? Words of Radiance?
I'm a fan for life!

message 33: by Krista (new)

Krista | 35 comments Helen wrote: "Lol! You'll be on catch up with me!"

Found it under the seat in my car, lol.

message 34: by Ronald (last edited Jun 28, 2016 05:26AM) (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "Way of Kings? Words of Radiance?
I'm a fan for life!"

I loved the way that Sanderson ended The Wheel of Time series for the Jordan family so I wanted to read some of his other stuff.

I bought Way of Kings and read maybe 18% of it then started reading something else, I read several different things and then I come across some reviews on here I believe and everyone was gushing over it and I read several of them and it made me want to read it again.

So I picked it up and forced myself to read it and once I was about 27% in I finally got hooked and read it all the way through.

Needless to say when I got Words of Radiance it was a non-stop read.

I guess I'll have to try Mistborn next

message 35: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Definitely Ronald!
: )

Soooo....I've high jacked this thread enough....back to our regularly scheduled read.

I've finally started A Wizard of Earthsea.
For real, for real!!!!

It's all starting to come back to me with all the wonder of the first time.
I had checked out other groups threads on this book. Very interesting conversations.

One in particular was about how there wasn't any repercussions to using magic and how easy it was to do.

I disagree, but perhaps I'll discuss this further in the spoiler thread.

: )
Just something to think about.

message 36: by Helen (new)

Helen Sorry, you are actually reading.... that was me falling over into a dead faint :)

message 37: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Shall I resuscitate you?

I'm also reading another book.

message 38: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danjf) | 3 comments some time back I've read the whole series. Its a great read and Ursula Le Guin really knocks it out of the park. Yeah, Mistborn is on my to-do list as well

message 39: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Well I squeaked in and finished the second book over the weekend, thankfully they are small books and you can read them in a day if you do nothing else.

They're not my favorite but they're enjoyable.

message 40: by Helen (new)

Helen Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "Shall I resuscitate you?

I'm also reading another book."

I'm unconscious ;)

message 41: by Helen (new)

Helen I've ordered the omnibus from a different library.

message 42: by Helen (new)

Helen And it's finally in, now I just have to find time to collect it and read it!

message 43: by Daeron (new)

Daeron I got the quartet no long ago. Now that I've finished my latest read, I can get stuck into this. I'm looking forward to it.

message 44: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 11 comments Time to start this journey.

message 45: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 799 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "Can I join in at any time? I know the group read for October is Earthsea #5, is that #5 in a series? The word cycle confuses me. I have a collection of three Earthsea books in a single volume so I ..."
Barbara, you can always read any of the series that the group is reading or has read, and you certainly can start with the 3 you have in a single volume. Just find the discussion threads that pertain to each of those books and join in. Even if the official group read is on #5 for October, people are generally all over the place in terms of how quickly or slowly they read. People who have finished the earlier books will still generally read and comment in the discussions when people post. So yes, please join in!!