Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's May 2016 Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments 9 books for the month!

Collared For Murder (Pet Boutique, #3) by Annie Knox Collared For Murder by Annie Knox: 3rd in Pet Boutique series and an okay read. She wrote another series a few years ago as Wendy Lyn Watson that I absolutely loved. This series doesn't hold a candle to that one. Grade: 5

Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3) by Charlaine Harris Night Shift by Charlaine Harris: 3rd in Midnight, Texas trilogy and a great conclusion! All is right with the residents of Midnight when we leave them. Will anxiously await Ms. Harris' next paranormal move. She writes this stuff too well not to come up with some other quirky Southern town that's peopled by supernaturals! Grade: 9.5

Robert B. Parker's Slow Burn (Spenser, #44) by Ace Atkins Robert B. Parker's Slow Burn by Ace Atkins: 44th Spenser book and another solid entry. I continue to be amazed at how well Atkins channels the Spenser main cast. This one deals with arson and Spenser doesn't escape unscathed. Grade: 7

Vanilla Beaned (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #8) by Jenn McKinlay Vanilla Beaned by Jenn McKinlay: 8th in Cupcake Bakery series and the series is finally back on track. Ms. McKinlay is a good writer and I knew she'd eventually get things together! Grade: 8.25

Country Cooking from a Redneck Kitchen by Francine Bryson Country Cooking from a Redneck Kitchen by Francine Bryson: every now and then a cookbook ends up on my list. I tend to read them like novels and this one looks good! I am definitely NOT a gourmet and never will be, so this one is right up my alley. Several recipes I'm looking to try soon. My biggest quibble is that there are LOTS of pork recipes and not that many beef recipes. The only pork I really eat is bacon, other than pork tenderloin if I'm visiting my mom and she makes it. But there's a nice mix of poultry recipes, so I guess it evens out! Grade: 8

Macaroni and Freeze (Comfort Food Mystery, #4) by Christine Wenger Macaroni and Freeze by Christine Wenger: 4th in Comfort Food series and one I have grown annoyed with quickly. Didn't much care for the 1st book, but I won copies of the 2nd and 3rd and they were better. However, there is a character in the series who has a "godawful" name and she insists on being called by the FULL name. I could get past most of the character's quirks were it not for the insufferable name! It annoys me SO much that the fact the mystery actually wasn't bad could not be overcome. I have the 5th book, I think, and plan to dig it out and read it soon so I'll be well done with the series. A shame as the author is such a sweet lady! Grade: 4.5

The Second Life of Nick Mason (Nick Mason, #1) by Steve Hamilton The Second Life of Nick Mason by Steve Hamilton: 1st in new series, and it pains me to say I was disappointed with it. I mean, it's Steve-freakin'-Hamilton, right?? He's right up there with Pelecanos for me and for me to say I'm disappointed with either is difficult. This reads like a movie script to me and is SO predictable. The bad guys stuck out like a sore thumb for me, the love interest seems contrived and I don't get the whole thing with the cars. Seems to me you'd want low-key, but what do I know? I have no doubt that I will most likely be a minority of one with this book. On the upside, Steve says he's working on the next Alex McKnight now, so I have that to look forward to! Grade: 5.5

A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn: 1st in Veronica Speedwell series and lots of fun. Veronica is a great character and and Stoker, the male lead character is excellent! The murder mystery in this one was more of a sidebar for me. The real story is "WHO is Veronica Speedwell?" I never used to read "period" mysteries, but have found this one and the Lady Darby books to be real page-turners. Grade: 8.5

Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #6) by Heather Blake Gone With the Witch by Heather Blake: 6th in the Wishcraft series and another bulls-eye. I've said it before and will say it again, Ms. Blake/Webber doesn't know how to write a bad book. This series is one of my absolute favorites and I read each new entry almost as soon as it's released. The main premise of this one is murder at a pet show, but there's MUCH more going on. Loved it! Grade: 9.75

message 2: by Amy (last edited Jun 04, 2016 02:44PM) (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Melodie

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Melodie I loved Night Shift too, and I also love anything Charlaine Harris writes. You had a good month overall and have tempted me with several books, Veronica Speedwell for one, and to get back to the Wishcraft books. I'll read the Steve Hamilton book soon to see how it goes.
I remember a Robert Crais book that read more like a movie script too; those seem to take me out of a story as well.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie I loved Night Shift too, and I also love anything Charlaine Harris writes. You had a good month overall and have tempted me with several books, Veronica Speedwell for one, and to get back t..."

I remember that Crais book, too. Hostage, the only time Crais ever disappointed me!

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments Good month. I just finished the Hamilton book and I was disappointed for the same reasons. I just didn't like any of the characters.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Melodie: Yes, Hostage was the one I remembered, I kept seeing them filming it as a movie as I read. Unless they write a screen play book tie in to a movie that wasn't a book originally that shouldn't happen.

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments You've done a few I can;t wait to get to.....after I finish mowing the lawn.

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1185 comments Too bad about The Second Life of Nick Mason.

I enjoy Deanna Raybourn's Lady Grey series so I will look forward to reading this new series since you liked it so much.

Barry wrote: "You've done a few I can't wait to get to.....after I finish mowing the lawn."

That's the great thing about audios. I get over an hour of listening in while pushing my reel mower over the grass.

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Two bad reviews will make me skip the new Hamilton series, for now anyway.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3570 comments Dan in AZ wrote: "Two bad reviews will make me skip the new Hamilton series, for now anyway."

that was my feeling, too, dan. too many other things i want to read. :)

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments Loved your reviews Melodie! Quite a few on my TBR pile. I agree about the Wishcraft books. I think it's the only series that I've rated each book a "5". Seen quite a few negative reviews on the Hamilton book so I'll skip it!