Who Doesn't Love a Classic? discussion

The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant, #5)
This topic is about The Daughter of Time
CLASSICS Reviews 2016 > Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey, narrated by Derek Jacobi ☊
★★★★.5 rounded to 5

4.5 stars, rounded up for Goodreads

Alan Grant is stuck in the hospital after a most inconvenient, and highly embarrassing, fall through a trap door that happened before this book began. He is taken care of by the midget (who was actually a full five foot two and who could lift heavy things as though they were nothing) and the amazon (who was a good sized woman but found it harder to lift things). Somewhat irascible as a result, he is encouraged to solve some historic mystery by one of his friends, who brings him a pile of prints of historic portraits (this was published in 1952, after all), and he's soon off, with the aid of a young American researcher, figuring out whether or not Richard III actually killed his two missing nephews.

Read aloud by Derek Jacobi, I could see why this was voted the fourth best mystery of all time by the Mystery Writers of America ( http://www.bestcrimebooks.com/top-100... see here ). It's not your usual detective novel, naturally, as the detective is bed ridden and the mystery over 400 years old at the time this was written, but it's engaging and even made this part of history quite interesting.

Jerry-Book | 22 comments Mod
I read this some time ago. It's theory of what happened to the two princes in the tower is as good as any. After reading everything about this I am still perplexed regarding who killed the two princes.

Karin Jerry-Book wrote: "I read this some time ago. It's theory of what happened to the two princes in the tower is as good as any. After reading everything about this I am still perplexed regarding who killed the two prin..."

All I know is that they cleared Richard.

Jerry-Book | 22 comments Mod
The suspects:

Richard III --- eliminating the princes removed a threat to him from the York side. However, why didn't the young princes' mother ever claim he did it.

Henry Tudor, later Henry VII --- the young princes had a stronger claim for the throne than he did. And, he never accused Richard of the murder. As a Lancaster, it probably would have served his interests to accuse Richard III.

History was written by the Tudors who were the winners. So, it was in their interest to portray Richard III as the hunchback devil we see in Shakepeare's Richard III.

We will never know who killed the princes.

Mark (willey) | 10 comments Interesting book though. I felt hated as an historian!