Crossroads discussion

Genre > Romance

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (new)

Karin Maggie’s Mistake by Carolyn Brown ★★★

Those of you familiar with my reading tastes might be scratching your head here; this is an Avalon Historical Romance and I gave it 3 stars because I liked it. You are not seeing things. A friend recommended this, and once in a while I do read these sorts of forced marriage or marriage of convenience plots. They are predictable, of course, but it’s part of the fun when I read them.

Maggie and Everett wake up to Maggie’s dad’s blunderbuss pointed at them, even though they are innocent of any wrongdoing. That very morning they are married with a shotgun as the maid of honour, but not to worry, Everett will have it annulled and they can go on with their lives. After all, he is a serious doctor and she’s a country hick with a reputation for not being the brightest bulb in the box—wait, that’s an anachronistic analogy, but you get the drift. Naturally, these plans are foiled because they spend that night in the same house, albeit in different rooms, so now they have to work on a divorce. Maggie, however, turns out to be one of the brightest bulbs in the box, and although she is totally clueless due to lack of mirrors, absolutely beautiful. What else would you expect from an Avalon Historical Romance???

Thanks, Dosha!

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 696 comments Mod
Karin wrote: " A friend recommended this, and once in a while I do read these sorts of forced marriage or marriage of convenience plots."

I went through a huge historical romance novel stage in the 80's and 90's and one of my favorite plots was the forced marriage...who knows why, but I can appreciate it.

message 3: by Jules (new)

Jules | 24 comments Althought I looked down on the historical romance for many a decade I find that I can't deny enjoying them more as I get older. Outlander did it for me. That is when i finally had to admit it to myself that I was really enjoying it. Oh dear, now it's out...

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin Jules wrote: "Althought I looked down on the historical romance for many a decade I find that I can't deny enjoying them more as I get older. Outlander did it for me. That is when i finally had to admit it to my..."

By Outlander I was totally out of it. I liked historical romantic suspense when I was in high school; I used to read Victoria Holt to the point that I never forgot her name, plus other historical romance, but also lots of scifi, literary fiction and a wide assortment of other fiction. But lots and lots of scifi and people like VH.

message 5: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 566 comments I read everything Victoria Holt wrote back in high school, also Dorothy Eden and Mary Stewart. How about the Angelique books? Did anyone read those? They're out of print now so the best price for a paperback on Amazon is $60. Then there's the racier Forever Amber.

message 6: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 696 comments Mod
Denizen wrote: "I read everything Victoria Holt wrote back in high school, also Dorothy Eden and Mary Stewart. How about the Angelique books? Did anyone read those? They're out of print now so the best price for a..."

I read Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart, but don't remember Dorothy Eden.

message 7: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Moseley | 717 comments Denizen wrote: "I read everything Victoria Holt wrote back in high school, also Dorothy Eden and Mary Stewart. How about the Angelique books? Did anyone read those? They're out of print now so the best price for a..."

Yes, I read those Angelique books 55 years ago hehehe

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin Booknblues wrote: "Denizen wrote: "I read everything Victoria Holt wrote back in high school, also Dorothy Eden and Mary Stewart. How about the Angelique books? Did anyone read those? They're out of print now so the ..."

I remember Mary Stewart as well and read her, too, but don't remember Dorothy Eden. My computer session at the library is about to end...

message 9: by Blueberry (last edited Oct 03, 2016 09:56PM) (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 94 comments The Silver Linings Playbook 5 stars
I read Silver Linings Playbook and watched the movie today for my movie/book club. The book was really good.
Pat's mother gets him out of a mental health facility that he was sent to after he had a breakdown and has a restraining order from his wife. His father won't talk to him, everybody is obsessed with the Philadelphia Eagles football team, including his therapist and his friends try to hook up with Tiffany, who may have as many problems as Pat does.
I thought the movie was also very good though my other book club member thought the book was much better. I don't want to give spoilers away so will not go into details. But the movie, while changing things, did a nice job in staying with the theme and mood of the story. Highly recommended. Jennifer Laurence earned her Academy Award on this one, and Bradley Cooper his nomination.

message 10: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 566 comments Blueberry wrote: "The Silver Linings Playbook 5 stars
I read Silver Linings Playbook and watched the movie today for my movie/book club. The book was really good.
Pat's mother gets him out of a ment..."

I really enjoyed the movie but didn't realize it was based on a book. To read or not to read, that is the question;-)

message 11: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 94 comments Read. :)

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin Intriguing, but I'm not yet sure if Jennifer Laurence can be anyone but Katniss for me yet.

message 13: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 566 comments Karin wrote: "Intriguing, but I'm not yet sure if Jennifer Laurence can be anyone but Katniss for me yet."

She does an excellent job. It should be easy to put Katniss out of your mind.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin Denizen wrote: "Karin wrote: "Intriguing, but I'm not yet sure if Jennifer Laurence can be anyone but Katniss for me yet."

She does an excellent job. It should be easy to put Katniss out of your mind."

Okay, but I've seen some of those movies Too Many Times. Still, I may watch this when I can get it cheap from RedBox or something.