Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 19

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1364 comments Today's prompt is a favorite book turned into a movie. This prompt is actually really easy for me because I'm very critical of book-to-movie adaptations. I might enjoy the movie, but I usually like the book better. There are a few instances, however, where I think the movie is just as good as the book is, where the movie captures the exact feel of the book.

Honestly, I could choose any one of The Hunger Games movies because I think they're all just as good as the books are, but since Catching Fire is my favorite of the series, I'm choosing it.

I love Catching Fire so much because I love seeing Katniss and Peeta's relationship develop into something sincere rather than just a ploy to help them survive the games. At first, I wasn't a huge fan of Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, but he made me a believer in Catching Fire. My favorite scene is with the two of them on the beach when he gives her the pearl. The movie and the actors did such a great job at portraying that scene. I felt all the feels!

What is your favorite book turned into a movie?

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5067 comments Probably To Kill a Mockingbird.

But I also loved the movie adaptations of Gone with the Wind, The Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games trilogy, and all the most recent Narnia movies so far.

As you said, most movie adaptations pale in comparison to the books!

message 3: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments Fight Club - No question

message 4: by ScoLgo (new)

ScoLgo | 30 comments Nicole wrote: "Fight Club - No question"

You beat me to it!

Choke was a pretty good adaptation of a Palahniuk book too. It just didn't get the attention of Fight Club.

I really enjoyed both film and book versions of Cloud Atlas

For an example of a movie being better than the book, I would have to go with Forrest Gump; The film Forrest was so much more likable than the book Forrest.

message 5: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1364 comments I didn't even know Forrest Gump was a book.

For me, an example of a movie being better than the bookis The Devil Wears Prada. The books was just SOOOOOO long.

message 6: by Linda C (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1113 comments 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff 84, Charing Cross Road - great movie with Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments The adaptation of Jude the Obscure brilliantly and movingly acted by Christopher Eccleston and Kate Winslet. But don't read the book or see the movie unless you have a couple days to cry or someone very funny to pick you up afterwards!

message 8: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I have quite a few but I am going to go with Little Women - the Susan Sarandon/Winona Ryder version, just love this interpretation.

message 9: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I'm going to go recent and say The Martian. I enjoyed both -- the book was a surprise because I'm not a big SF fan, and the movie because I liked the book so much, I thought it would be disappointing, but it wasn't.

I agree on Hunger Games and TKaMB as well.

message 10: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5067 comments JoLene wrote: "I'm going to go recent and say The Martian. I enjoyed both..."

I still haven't seen the movie! Missed it in the theaters, so now I'm waiting till it's free on TV. Gonna be a long wait I think...

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 195 comments Stardust by Neil Gaiman was a really cute book and movie.

message 12: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Sarah wrote: "Stardust by Neil Gaiman was a really cute book and movie."

Love, love, love this movie --- but didn't like the book as well (read the book after seeing the movie).

message 13: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5067 comments Sarah wrote: "Stardust by Neil Gaiman was a really cute book and movie."

Another movie I haven't seen. But I enjoyed the book, so I will have to look for this one!

message 14: by ScoLgo (new)

ScoLgo | 30 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "I didn't even know Forrest Gump was a book..."

I read the book after seeing the movie - and felt let down.

Another couple of book/movie combos I enjoyed:
- Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
- The Remains of the Day

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments The Lord of the Rings, and recently Room was really well done.

message 16: by Denizen (last edited Jun 04, 2016 05:53PM) (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I'd have to go with To Kill a Mockingbird or Doctor Zhivago.

I need to rent Room soon - haven't seen it yet.

message 17: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I hope you like it. I thought it was very well done.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I was going to say The Martian too. Loved the book, loved the movie. Also, the Swedish version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

message 19: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 509 comments The Help

I loved the book and the movie.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8841 comments So many great books turned into movies. But what pops first into mind, is an oldie... Prince of Tides!

message 21: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Shawshank Redemption, definitely.

message 22: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2937 comments The Wonderful Wizard of Oz I loved this movie as a kid. When I read the book, it disappointed me a bit.

I loved Cloud Atlas and really thought the movie would ruin it. The movie was different, but just as good in it's own way.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Life of Pi still one of my favorite movies.

message 24: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 841 comments The Shipping News by Annie Proulx was a great book and a great movie.

message 25: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Susie wrote: "The Lord of the Rings, and recently Room was really well done."

I also thought The Lord of the Rings was well done, particularly Return of the King. I felt like the producers reached into my imagination and pulled scenes directly from my thoughts!

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments I have barely ever read the book and watched the movie in concert (for those who don't know me well, I actually don't like movies), but am going to echo the suggestion above of The Help - - where amazingly I liked both the book and the movie very much.