Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Question about genre

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.L. (new)

S.L. (slrowland) Hey everyone,

I have a question about where a book I'm writing falls into genre-wise and I hope you will be able to help me classify it. Basically, it is a post-apocalyptic romance in a zombie wasteland, kind of a more romantic take on The Walking Dead. Do you think zombies in general are paranormal or is it more sci-fi or horror?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Coleman I think it depends on how much romance is actually in it. If you just touch base that there is something going on between 2 characters, then I wouldn't classify it as romance. I think that in order for a book to be romance, the main focus is the connection between the two people and then a story on the side. So are you primarily focusing on the feelings of your characters or what is going on in the world around them?

message 3: by S.L. (new)

S.L. (slrowland) It is definitely about the characters romance as the main plot point of the novel. The other stuff is there as well, but there is no doubt about it being a romance.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 06, 2016 09:37PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Then I'd classify it as a PNR (Paranormal romance.) I don't think it can go into the horror classification, if it is primarily a romance, and, unless your zombies are scientifically produced, not sci-fi either. Most people classify zombies either as horror or paranormal, although more and more of them are being written as science produced, instead of magic produced.

Although I guess it could also be dystopian? But, I don't usually equate those with romances, so I'm going back to my first classification, and going for PNR.

message 5: by Liza (new)

Liza Street (lizastreet) | 15 comments Yeah, I'm leaning toward PNR for this, too.

message 6: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) I don't see zombies are paranormal. I see them either as dystopian and/or horror. I suggest it as a dystopian romance.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I don't see zombies are paranormal. I see them either as dystopian and/or horror. I suggest it as a dystopian romance."

But they're are a ton of zombies in UF and PNR.

message 8: by Mia (new)

Mia Arden (miaarden) | 5 comments I do know that the science fiction genre on Amazon for romance is largely populated with the same books as the paranormal section...what that indicates might just be that you should promote in both?

message 9: by S.L. (new)

S.L. (slrowland) Thanks for all your feedback. I've decided to add another paranormal element to the book that will hopefully enrich the story and cement it in the PNR genre.