Audiobooks discussion

Ask Audible > Warning Concerning Free Audiobooks from Authors

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by tubemonkey (last edited Jun 04, 2016 10:58PM) (new)

tubemonkey | 94 comments Several authors/narrators are promoting free audiobooks during the June Is Audiobook Month campaign, claiming that they're working in conjunction with Audible to give you one of their audiobooks for free.

What you're not being told is that if you accept this offer, you're using up your one and only free selection from the Send this Book (aka OneBook) feature.

This is flat out misrepresentation, if not worse! So be wary before accepting any book from an author for review that doesn't come with a code or as a gift.

Here is one such offer from Tom Abrahams. Offers are also being cross posted all over Facebook.

EDIT: Tom has amended his blog post to include the following statement (in bold below):

"FREE AUDIOBOOKS...SERIOUSLY...FREE
There isn't much that's free in this world. But this month, AUDIOBOOK MONTH, fantastic narrator and talented audiobook producer Kevin Pierce is working in conjunction with Audible to give you one free audiobook.

THIS IS A PART OF AUDIBLE'S NEW SEND THIS BOOK FEATURE. It allows you to choose one FREE book from a friend without joining Audible's monthly service.

You can pick any of the books listed below. All of them are narrated by Kevin and all of them are written by wonderfully talented authors.

Pick one by clicking on the cover you like. Enjoy. Then please leave a review.

And if you haven't gotten a chance, please check out my newly redesigned website.

Happy audiobook month."

message 2: by Tria (new)

Tria (trialia) | 17 comments And that it's for customers in the USA only. Bleh to that.

message 3: by tubemonkey (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:28PM) (new)

tubemonkey | 94 comments Tom has amended his blog post to include the following statement:

"THIS IS A PART OF AUDIBLE'S NEW SEND THIS BOOK FEATURE. It allows you to choose one FREE book from a friend without joining Audible's monthly service."

I'd like to thank Tom for promptly addressing this issue. In several statements he made at MobileRead, he says in part:

"I'm not, not was I, trying to misrepresent anything. Nor was I trying to mislead anyone."

"I was only promoting a free book from among a group of authors who share the same narrator. I really thought I was offering a free book. Nothing more."

I'm satisfied that this was a misunderstanding in how the "Send this Book" feature works and how it might relate to free offers from authors.

I'm not here to say that we should avoid his books. If you like his works and choose to get one of them for free, using your only free credit from Send this Book, by all means go for it and enjoy the listen.

As informed shoppers, we should always be aware of the sources and costs involved in our purchases; even free ones.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Howlett | 356 comments I just want to assure anyone who enters to win one of my books for free as part of my June is Audiobook Month drawing, that I am gifting the 10 books I'll be giving out using my narrator codes from Audible. Nothing to do with the "Send this Book" feature.

I announced my giveaway here on Goodreads under promotions in the audiobook section.

It does sound like the author mentioned above may have misunderstood the OneBook feature.

I haven't read any of Mr. Abrahams books but I can attest to Kevin Pierce being a wonderful narrator.

Best!
Lee Ann

message 5: by Ray (new)

Ray Perreault (rayjayperreault) | 31 comments I find this discussion humorous. I have 9 books on Audible with another 4 in production, yet I never heard of this offer nor that June was "Audio Book Month". Maybe it would be a good idea to coordinate advertising with the authors. Perhaps I've been too busy writing and recording, but I don't recall any announcements to the authors. Perhaps this goes along with Audible's strategy of randomly pricing our products without warning us. If one of my books is going to be discounted, I'd love to know about it so I can coordinate some marketing. Unfortunately,
this doesn't happen either.

message 6: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1943 comments Ray wrote: "I find this discussion humorous. I have 9 books on Audible with another 4 in production, yet I never heard of this offer nor that June was "Audio Book Month". Maybe it would be a good idea to coord..."

Just an FYI....June is Audiobook month has been around for years and publishers, narrators some authors and bloggers have been posting about JIAM. It isn't just Audible.

message 7: by Ray (new)

Ray Perreault (rayjayperreault) | 31 comments Learn something new everyday...now I know.

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee Howlett | 356 comments Ray wrote: "Learn something new everyday...now I know."

Ray, I also use Twitter to advertise. 'June is Audiobook Month' is always very active each year on Twitter, Facebook, and the websites/blogs of authors, narrators, and reviewers.

Hope this is helpful!

Lee Ann