Metro Library ReadUp discussion

June's Book: Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Metropolitan (new)

Metropolitan Library System | 255 comments Mod
We have a winner! It's Landline by Rainbow Rowell. Discuss it here!

Here are some questions to think about while reading, from LitLovers.com:
http://www.litlovers.com/reading-guid...

message 2: by Metropolitan (new)

I'm excited about this book, as I have only heard great things about the author, but I haven't started it yet. Anyone who's started reading have thoughts?

message 3: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) Sorry, I haven't even went to the library yet to get a copy. I'm hoping that I can start next week.

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) I read it a while back. I found it to be original and as a working mom I really related to the main character.

message 5: by Metropolitan (new)

I'm in the middle of chapter 7, and I like it so far. Here are a couple of questions from the link above:

3. Was it fair of Neal to take the girls to Omaha for Christmas without Georgie? Do you think his frustration with her was justified?

I think it could have been worked out somehow if they had communicated better. He was quite obviously fed up with her never being home or emotionally available and it seems like he just decided to stop talking about anything meaningful with her. And she was so distracted and tired that she wasn't thinking about how her heavy work schedule was affecting her marriage and family. But if she had been able to present the new show as a dream come true and an opportunity for the family, which It was, then maybe they wouldn't have had all the bad feelings.

4. Do you blame Georgie for not going to Omaha with her family? For being so passionate about her career? Would you feel differently if the roles were reversed and it was Neal putting his career first?

No I don't--she says the new show is what she's been working for all of her professional life. You don't skip out on something like that if you can help it. If he was a doctor or something like that, and he was missing out on important family events it would be something people would understand.

message 6: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 22 comments I am just a few chapters in, and I agree. This couple's communication with one another is horrible. Then again, I think the author is trying to set up that premise as the basis for the plot line.

It seems to me that Neil has a history of not communicating well with a lot of people. Maybe that's part his mystique, but honestly, it's actually just a sign of immaturity and of being self-centered. Although he seems to be the more domestically minded of the two and more stereotypically the "good" parent, it seems like he bears these characteristics as a martyr. I think they made the correct decision in Neil and the kids going to see his mother as planned and Georgie staying behind to work. It just seems like they could've accomplished it without so much drama. Life happens and you adjust.

message 7: by Metropolitan (new)

I really don't see what the Neal's appeal is, personality wise or physicality wise. I can't imagine this working out in a positive way at all, but maybe we'll be surprised!

message 8: by Metropolitan (new)

Joy wrote: "I read it a while back. I found it to be original and as a working mom I really related to the main character."

What resonated with you the most about her? I can relate to her feeling of there not being enough time to do all the things that need to get done, and I don't even have kids!

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) When Georgie is at work she misses her family. I sense that when she is with them she feels like she should be working. She has a demanding job and the burden of being the sole provider for her family. If she does well they can live in a bigger house and maybe go to a better school, etc.

Ok I'm reading between the lines here but I have lived this struggle for 20+ years. I don't write sitcoms but I do have a demanding job that allows me to provide for my family at the same time as it takes me away from them for large chunks of time. Because of this my husband decided to stay home with the kids and this can be very lonely for a man, even in today's "enlightened" world.

message 10: by Metropolitan (new)

I think that it would be difficult for anyone, male or female.

As I read further in, I'm finding Georgie and Neal to be less and less appealing characters. I hope they redeem themselves for me by the end!

message 11: by Metropolitan (new)

This question is kind of interesting:
Are you old enough to remember talking on a landline? Or a rotary phone? What memories did this book bring back? What’s different about talking on a landline compared to a cell phone? How is that reflected in the story?

I am, and mainly I remember not having any privacy at all when talking on the phone as a teenager, because we just had the one phone, and it was in the living room at the end of the couch. It was also a really old phone from the 1970s, because my parents were too cheap to buy a new one. The curly cord attached to the receiver was all frayed on the inside so you'd have to jiggle it around when the line got too staticky and you couldn't hear who you were talking to! And it goes without saying, there was no call waiting, caller ID, any of the modern things that cell phones have as standard features. :)

message 12: by Metropolitan (new)

I haven't picked the book up in a couple of days because I'm reading several books at once, as usual. I just got to the part where Georgie realizes that maybe the weird stuff that's happening is supposed to be happening --because of the "we'll make our own enough" line in his proposal. This is something I always find kind of annoying in books with time travel in them--all the convoluted logic to explain what's happening.

message 13: by Metropolitan (new)

I finished it, and I have to say this book was a disappointment. I really did not engage with Georgie or Neal at all. I thought the idea of the magic phone was very interesting but the author didn't use it so well. And I just got tired of reading Georgie's inner dialogue--it wasn't very compelling. What did you all think?

message 14: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 22 comments I didn't really like this book. The characters weren't very likable for one. They lacked the maturity, common sense, and pretty much any other personality trait necessary for successful adulthood.

Second, the characters were pretty standard - we've got your fat nerd, your stud, your working woman, some lesbians, and some kids who were either not taught basic communication skills or were created by an author who has never been around kids or been a child herself. Throw in a dead father-in-law and a dog, and that should do it.

Third, I dislike reading about relationships, especially those involving children, in which the love interests seem to never consider their commitments above themselves. You really can't have it all your way at all times in a healthy family.

I could go on about other reasons I didn't care for this book, but there's no reason to do so. I will tell you what I enjoyed. I enjoyed the comment by someone who mentioned their experience with landlines. The curly phone cords - yes!!! They were truly awful. If you were lucky your family bought that really long 8' cord, and you would try to stretch it out long enough that you could slide it under the door of a nearby room for privacy. However, you always ran the risk that the cord wouldn't curl back up correctly, and then you had to try to work out the kinks. That never worked. And heaven help you if you had a rotary dial instead of the push buttons. You were nearly assured of never winning a radio contest if you had a rotary dial. Some of my friends still had party lines even into the 1980's. Several families all used the same phone line though everyone had their own home phones. You might have to wait your turn to use the phone, but you could also listen in on other peoples' phone calls. So glad those days are over!

message 15: by Metropolitan (new)

yep, we had the rotary dial too, ha!

I don't mind reading books about horrible people, if they are compelling in some way--like realizing their flaws and trying to work through them, or being unrepentantly bad. These people just muddled around being boring.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (biblioberg) | 6 comments I read this book a while back and I related to the main character as a working mom and I didn't love this book, Rainbow Rowell is a wonderful and exciting writer.

message 17: by Metropolitan (new)

I've heard such good things about her, and I'd be willing to read more of her work. But this one just didn't grab me.

message 18: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 22 comments I liked Eleanor & Park, so I am chalking this one up to a fluke for now.