Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Challenges Archive > Waiting for Wobble ~ RECOMMENDATIONS Weekend!

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
Waiting for Wobble

Waiting for Wobble ~ Recommendations Weekend

We can NEVER have too many books on our TBR, right? RIGHT?!?

Like the recent Waiting for Wobble Read-a-Thon, this quick weekend of Recommendations is THEMED. So follow what prompt is given!!

YES there are specific requirements to recommendations, not just any.
Random ones will be deleted.

Today will help you out with Wheel-a-Thon

Wheel-a-Thon can get tricky, when hard letters are within the words and need to be found, sometimes over and over.

Today, recommend at least THREE books for at least FIVE of the most difficult letters for you to find.

Example: Recommend at least 3 books each for the letters A, E, I, O, U. Does NOT have to be these 5 letters, can be any letters that YOU find difficult. I'll even be nice and tell you (confidentially of course) that there are NO Q or Z in the Wobble Wheel-a-Thon!

Recommendations FAQ -
Through this weekend, we're going to recommend books in the hopes of putting a ton more books on our TBR! With recommendations ~
╰⊰✿ Try to recommend something not extremely popular (no Harry Potter!) We want to get new books and with extremely big series/books, people already know about them. Give us something new to want!
╰⊰✿ REMEMBER: Our group is an ALL AGES group. Please no recommendations of a mature nature. Gore and violence is ok (it's in Hunger Games after all) but nothing too over the top and no erotica please.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments I - Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova Impulse (Impulse, #1) by Ellen Hopkins Immortal (Immortal, #1) by Gillian Shields
O - Once a Witch (Witch, #1) by Carolyn MacCullough Omens (Cainsville, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

K, N, V, X, Y are also tricky for me! So much so that I haven't read enough to come up with 3 to recommend. :( (I could recommend 1 or two for each though...

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3730 comments X, Y, Z are all hard for me, and I don't have three books in any of them to recommend. But:

Q - The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) by M.C. Beaton Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1) by Jennifer Chiaverini

O - Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1) by Scott Meyer Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi Off Sides (Off, #1) by Sawyer Bennett

message 6: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) My Recommendations:

E ~ Erebos by Ursula Poznanski The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1) by James Dashner Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein

K ~ Key of Light (Key Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Killer Game by Kirsty McKay Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn #1) by Keith Houghton

O ~ The Obsession by Nora Roberts On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1) by Kendra Elliot Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1) by Scott Meyer

U ~ Utopia by Lincoln Child Un Lun Dun by China Miéville The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1) by Suzanne Brockmann

V ~ The Vault of Dreamers (The Vault of Dreamers, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1) by Nora Roberts

message 7: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments This is such an awesome idea, mods! Thanks! Let's see what I've got.

I- In the Heart of the Canyon by Elisabeth Hyde Impulse (Impulse, #1) by Ellen Hopkins If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

O- Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) by Orson Scott Card One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1) by Sarah Fine

U- Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls by Alissa Nutting Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, #4) by Sara Shepard

Y- bone by Yrsa Daley-Ward Your Voice in My Head by Emma Forrest You Don't Know Me by David Klass

I can't think of a fifth letter that I struggle with :/

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Ohhhh....this is AWESOME!

Some of the most difficult letters for me have been O and U, so I'll start with those:

Recs for "O"
Author: Maggie Osborne has written some of the best Historical Western Romance out there. Even if you don't care for Westerns, give these two a try. The first book is hilarious and touching just the same:

The Promise of Jenny Jones by Maggie Osborne The Promise of Jenny Jones Loved this heroine. One of my all-time favorite books.
Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne Silver Lining Another fabulous heroine. Lots of character growth in this one.

Author: Ellen O'Connell (which works for "E" books, too!) writes Western Historical Romances full of adventure. Her heroines are always strong women, which I find appealing. She is self-published, yet popular in the genre. Her books may be free to Amazon Prime members. My favorites:

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold (Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, #1) by Ellen O'Connell Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold Realistic, slow building love.
Sing My Name by Ellen O'Connell Sing My Name Angsty romance with HEA.
Without Words by Ellen O'ConnellWithout Words Awesome heroine!

"O" books by Title

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi Old Man's War by John Scalzi.
Science fiction fantasy & space opera fans will love this book. It works as a standalone and I highly recommend stopping here instead of moving on to book 2. You'll be glad you did. : )

Open Season by C.J. Box Open Season by C. J. Box
Book one of the Joe Pickett series. Joe is a Game Warden and hard-working family man in Wyoming. This crime thriller kicks off the series with a slow build and a fantastic ending that will leave you wanting more. I love these books! If you enjoy the Walt Longmire Mysteries, this is a great series to read between releases.

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Beautiful story! Two for one contemporary / historical fiction that tells about a young girl who rode the Orphan Train during the Depression Era.

Recs for "U"

"U" books by Title:

If Urban Fantasy is your thing and you've read the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine, check out her Outcast Seasons spinoff. It's fast paced and super creative. Four books, all that work for Title and Series category:

Undone (Outcast Season, #1) by Rachel CaineUnknown (Outcast Season, #2) by Rachel CaineUnseen (Outcast Season, #3) by Rachel CaineUnbroken (Outcast Season, #4) by Rachel Caine

Uprooted by Naomi Novik Uprooted by Naomi Novik
YA Fantasy / Fairy Tale Retellings. Another quick paced action adventure novel.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck to all the teams and Happy Reading!

message 9: by Marie (UK) (last edited Jun 04, 2016 09:31AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4843 comments U books

The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
Unforgivable

Q books (i know it is not in wheelathon)
Quiet Chaos
Quarantine
The Quaker Café

X books ( i think these are harder than Q and Z )
X
Xingu (too short for wheelathon)
X Out Of Wonderland - i really did not enjoy this but they are the only 3 books i have starting with X and i wonder why X is in when Q is so much easier

K Books
Kind of Cruel
Keeper of Tides
The Kitchen House

J books
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption
JulietJack!

I have Y books but none i would recommend and Z books i only have 2 but both excellent
Zeitoun
The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story

I wonder if we can get 10 or 15 X books recommended on her

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Ooh do author's names count? I was only looking at the first letter of a book's title...

For X, I can recommend XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr which I read a couple years ago. I also have these two on my bookshelf at home waiting to be read:
XO (Kathryn Dance, #3) by Jeffery Deaver Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #4) by Orson Scott Card

message 11: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Yup, authors count as well.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Karsyn wrote: "Yup, authors count as well."

Just last name or first and last?

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

I can only think of 4 letters I have problems with since Q and Z won't come up.

U
Ultraviolet: YA series of 2 books (series is also called Ultraviolet) - I've only read the 1st one so far but it's quite an unusual story
Unholy Ghosts: 1st book in an urban fantasy series
Undead series: series about a shopping addicted Vamprie Queen - I've read the first 2 and they're pretty fun
The Unquiet Bones: 1st book in a historical mystery series
Nicola Upson - Josephine Tey series: historical mystery series featuring the real life 'golden age' mystery novelist Josephine Tey

V
The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox: Really well written and not very long for those looking for shorter books
Velocity: For me this is one of the better Dean Koontz books I've read
Val McDermid - anything but they are often about serial killers so can be a bit gruesome
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-Five: I found this to be a pretty easy read although some people find it a bit weird
Valerie Martin - Property & Mary Reilly: good historical fiction novels - pretty short - Mary Reilly is a retelling of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde from a maid's perspective

X
The Xibalba Murders: not a bad mystery set in Mexico I think I would have enjoyed it more if I knew more about Mayan mythology - I don't have much for X
Xinran - The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices & Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet: writes non-fiction books involving China and Chinese culture - I found them easy reading for non-fiction

Y
Year of Wonders: a good historical fiction book involving the plague
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories: a bit of a cheat as I've only read the titular story but it was a 5 star read for me and I'd really like to read more from this author
Y.S. Lee - The Agency series: a fun YA historical mystery series
Jane Yellowrock series: I've only read the 1st one but really enjoyed it

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Kirsten wrote: "Karsyn wrote: "Yup, authors count as well."

Just last name or first and last?"

For the wheel-a-thon titles, author/translator/narrator first and last names, series names and character first, last and nicknames count.

message 15: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 745 comments Y books
Your Planet or Mine? (Otherworldly Men #1) by Susan Grant Your Planet or Mine - Susan Grant
The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop A Memoir, a History by Lewis Buzbee Yellow Lighted Bookshop - Lewis Buzbee
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks

X books
X Marks the Scot (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #2) by Victoria Roberts X Marks the Scot (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #2) - Victoria Roberts
The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1) by Lyn Hamilton The Xibalba Murders - Lyn Hamilton

E books
Exit Strategy (EXIT Inc., #1) by Lena Diaz Exit Strategy - Lena Diaz
Eva Luna by Isabel Allende Eva Luna - Isabel Allende
Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1) by Rhys Bowen Evans Above - Rhys Bowen (most of series starts with Evan)

J books
Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1) by Stephanie Barron Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor - Stephanie Barron (most of series starts with Jane)
Joanna and Ulysses by May Sarton Joanna and Ulysses - May Sarton
Julie and Romeo by Jeanne Ray Julie and Romeo - Jeanne Ray

O books
Old Herbaceous A Novel of the Garden by Reginald Arkell Old Herbaceous - Reginald Arkell
On the Island (On the Island, #1) by Tracey Garvis-Graves On the Island - Tracey Garvis-Graves
On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews On the Edge - Ilona Andrews

message 16: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 1480 comments Looking at my books X will is hard to find there, I don't even have a book that starts with it :/ I've mostly read the books listed below or am looking forward to reading them soon

X: Wolf Trouble (SWAT, #2) by Paige Tyler (hero Xavier) Time Will Tell (Maybe, #3) by Chantal Fernando (hero Xander) Blackmailed into the Greek Tycoon's Bed by Carol Marinelli (hero Xante)

I: The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1) by Sharon Ihle by Sharon Ihle Love, Your Concierge (Concierge, #1) by Jessica Ingro by Jessica Ingro The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1) by Conn Iggulden by Conn Iggulden

U: Garden of Lies by Amanda Quick (heroine Ursula) A Wife of Convenience by Kim Lawrence (hero Morgan Urquart) Undeclared (Woodlands, #1) by Jen Frederick The Unleashing (Call of Crows, #1) by Shelly Laurenston

O: If the Slipper Fits (Cinderella Sisterhood, #1) by Olivia Drake by Olivia Drake At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1) by Olivia Parker by Olivia Parker Only for You (For You, #1) by Genna Rulon Out of Her League by Lori Handeland (view spoiler)

V: Doctor's Delight (Big Girls Lovin' Trilogy, #1) by Angela Verdenius by Angela Verdenius The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingmen Inc., #1) by Rachel Van Dyken by Rachel Van Dyken Vincent (Made Men, #2) by Sarah Brianne Venus in Blue Jeans (Konigsburg, #1) by Meg Benjamin Vendetta by Autumn Karr

message 18: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jun 04, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

message 19: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 598 comments Marie wrote: "I wonder if we can get 10 or 15 X books recommended on here"

We've met and gone beyond your challenge. This should make things a bit easier when looking for an X book.

message 20: by Crystal (last edited Jun 04, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments J:
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Before I Met You by Lisa Jewell
Love in a Nutshell by Janet Evanovich

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen Before I Met You by Lisa Jewell Love in a Nutshell (Culhane Family #1) by Janet Evanovich

U:
UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
I haven't yet read Uprooted by I love the author Naomi Novik and I heard the book was great. Definitely on my TBR

UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1) by Chanda Hahn Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Uprooted by Naomi Novik

V:
Vivian Apple at the End of the World by Katie Coyle - on my TBR but haven't read yet
The Charm Bracelet by Viola Shipman - to read this summer

Vivian Apple at the End of the World (Vivian Apple, #1) by Katie Coyle The Charm Bracelet by Viola Shipman

X

Y:
The Young Elites by Marie Lu
Yes, Chef by Marcus Samuelsson - this is a decent memoir though not really a favorite book but for a foodie and memoir lover it would probably be enjoyable.
Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young - have not read but will probably read soon

The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu Yes, Chef by Marcus Samuelsson Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young

message 21: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (cowmingo) | 4757 comments I probably went overboard but I got excited recommending some lesser known books.

E:

Learning to Stay by Erin Celello author Erin Celello

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline author Ernest Cline

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols author Jennifer Echols

More Than Water (More Than Water, #1) by Renee Ericson author Renee Ericson

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine author Kathryn Erskine

For the letter I:

The In Death series Nora Roberts alter ego, romance/mystery set in future NYC

I Am the Weapon (The Unknown Assassin, #1) by Allen Zadoff I got this off NetGalley and really enjoyed it. It's YA and I just thought it was an interesting concept.

I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga Fun series

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson

Notorious RBG The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon author Irin Carmon

Recommendations for J:

Jesus Freaks series

Just a Geek Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise by Wil Wheaton Memoir by Wil Wheaton. He reads the audio if you are more of an audio person.

Wake Up, Sir! by Jonathan Ames author Jonathan Ames

Stuck in the Middle With You A Memoir of Parenting in Three Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan author Jennifer Finney Boylan

Recommendations for K:

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness One of my fav YA series

The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender Katie Alender

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger author William Kent Krueger

U recommendations:

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

The Uglies series

The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence (also works for author last name E)

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan

Y recommendations:

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day

message 22: by Ashley (last edited Jun 05, 2016 04:42PM) (new)

Ashley | 1439 comments My recs are;

J
YA/ Dystopian
The Jewel (The Lone City, #1) by Amy Ewing The Jewel by Amy Ewing
Autobiography/Memoir
Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living by Julie Powell Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living by Julie Powell
Chick Lit
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

K I really don't have many K books!
Cozy Mystery
Killer Insight (Psychic Eye Mystery, #4) by Victoria Laurie Killer Insight by Victoria Laurie

O
YA/Contemporary
One by Sarah Crossan One by Sarah Crossan
Chick Lit
Outrageous Fortune by Lulu Taylor Outrageous Fortune by Lulu Taylor
YA/Contemporary
One True Thing by Nicole Hayes One True Thing by Nicole Hayes

U...I also don't have many!
YA/Fantasy
Uprooted by Naomi Novik Uprooted by Naomi Novik

V
YA/Mystery
Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver
Mystery/Paranormal
The Vanishing by Wendy Webb The Vanishing by Wendy Webb

W
YA/Mystery/Paranormal
When by Victoria Laurie When by Victoria Laurie
Autobiography/Memoir
Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir
YA/Contemporary
What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler

Okay so that's 6...whoops. I don't have anything on my list for X!

message 23: by Diane Woods (last edited Jun 05, 2016 05:43PM) (new)

Diane Woods | 352 comments A
Arena Mode (The Arena Mode Saga, #1) by Blake Northcott - I wrote to the author on Twitter after I read this to tell her how much I loved it and she actually wrote me back!
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

E
Elephant Girl A Human Story by Jane Devin - Very powerful, emotional story

I
Interfaced by Emerson Doering

O
Origin by J.A. Konrath

U
Uncaged by Paul McKellips

message 26: by Kay Kay (last edited Jun 05, 2016 05:58PM) (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments Ok so..
U -- Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, Until We Reach Home, and Uprooted

W -- War Horse (32,000 + words), The Wonder Garden, What's So Amazing About Grace?

K -- No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hoseini, and The Bullet by Mary Louise Kelly

I have read all of these and liked them!

message 27: by Jen (last edited Jun 05, 2016 02:26PM) (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I didn't realize that this was a multi-day thing, so I'm late with my Day One recs. Sorry!

Here are some letters that I know others - sometimes including me - have struggled with:

Q -- Quick, Amanda's The River Knows; Quick Bite A (title); Questioning Miss Quinton, The (title)

U -- Garden of Lies (lead female: Ursula); Undead and Unwed (title); Urban Shaman (title)

V -- V.E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic (author first intial/name: V for Victoria); Vampire's Mail Order Bride, The (title); Veil, The (title)

X -- Grave Surprise (character: Xylda; she's also in book three); God Save the Queen (MC nickname: Xandra); XVI (I know I'm not the first to recommend this, but it's the only X title book that I can ever recall reading and enjoying)

Z -- Zen Cho's Sorcerer to the Crown (author name); Zinnia (title); Zombies Sold Separately (title)

I hope it's okay that not all are title-based. I didn't notice in the instructions anything saying that standard spell-it-rules did not apply. :-)

message 29: by Poongothai (last edited Jun 06, 2016 02:42AM) (new)

message 30: by Tia (new)

Tia (fatgirlfatbooks) I chose some of the letters that have the highest point score in Scrabble, so hopefully you guys find these tricky, too!

F - Foundation (Foundation, #1) by Isaac Asimov Fortune's Pawn (Paradox, #1) by Rachel Bach Frankenstein's Cat Cuddling Up to Biotech's Brave New Beasts by Emily Anthes

J - Join by Steve Toutonghi Lab Girl by Hope Jahren Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr.

K - Bright of the Sky (Entire and the Rose, #1) by Kay Kenyon The Sixth Extinction An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1) by Kathleen Ann Goonan

V - A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1) by Vernor Vinge Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente Persona (Persona, #1) by Genevieve Valentine

W - The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi Way Station by Clifford D. Simak Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel #1) by Connie Willis

message 31: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4843 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Marie wrote: "I wonder if we can get 10 or 15 X books recommended on here"

We've met and gone beyond your challenge. This should make things a bit easier when looking for an X book."

indeed we have i thought only titles were counting forgot it included authors etc

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.