Smashwords Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > Naming a series

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Hello all. I've got book three of my sci-fi series coming out soon (next month, hopefully!). The previous two - Hollow Moon and Paw-Prints of the Gods - aren't listed as being part of a series on Goodreads as so far I've not been able to think of a good series name. The third book is called City Of Deceit.

I was going to go with simply 'Hollow Moon', but readers on another forum suggested this sounds too much like it could be a fantasy / vampire series (and there is a series like that called 'Half Moon Hollow'). There's also been another book called The Hollow Moon published since mine (damn them!). My other idea, 'Five Systems Chronicles', showed up in a Google search as already being in use.

So.. those of you who write a series, how did you come up with a good series name?

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments My fantasy series is world-based. There are mini-series withing Silvery Earth, but on Smashwords it's all under the Silvery Earth umbrella.
The science fantasy series is Star Minds, from the first trilogy. The Vampires Through the Centuries has only two books out, I think I forgot to set up the series on Smashwords. Ops.
How about another word instead of "chronicles" - like, Tales, Stories, Legends, Universe anything like that, leaving the Five Systems, since that's your world/universe, right?

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Like Barb said, you could try using a different word instead of chronicles.

Try several different ways of wording the titles you want to use, and see what works for you... That's how I came up with my "Zeena Dragon Fae" series' title (that was the one that required most thought for me... The others I came up with really easily).

message 4: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments I think about a common element in all of the books. If the hollow moon is the unifying concept / centerpiece of the series, then I would stick with it even if another series has a similar name. Tales of the Hollow Moon, the Hollow Moon Saga, Hollow Moon Adventures, or Hollow Moon Legacy are rough ideas.

By the way, Hollow Moon sounds sci-fi to me, not paranormal, for what it's worth, and I like it.

message 5: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments All good advice, thank you.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 42 comments I would typically say that the name is best served by some detail about the universe that it is set in, and it looks like you already thought about that with the "Five Systems Chronicles" (which I think is awesome, BTW... too bad someone else beat you to the punch!)

Another possibility might be to name it after the protagonist or some central character. JK Rowling took this approach and developed one of the most successful series to date.

It's interesting that "Half Moon Hollow" does sound vampire-ish to me, because "Half Moon" is the adjective that describes the noun, "Hollow." However, "Hollow Moon" comes across as sci-fi to me, because the subject is the moon in this case, which is qualified by the adjective, "hollow". (I don't know if this reasoning makes sense to you... perhaps it's just the way my mind works."

I'm working on a series right now, and have used a technique that doesn't work for you, which is to name the series after a common title thread. All six books in my series will have the pattern "The ______ Galaxy", and so I simply call my series "The Galaxy Series".

Best wishes with your series!

message 7: by James (new)

James Corkill | 55 comments If you have one main character throughout your series, try using that in some form.

message 8: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments James wrote: "If you have one main character throughout your series, try using that in some form."

Usually a good idea, but it's different lead characters in book 3. In the end I just used the title of book one for the series...

message 9: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Carrington | 3 comments Steph wrote: "Hello all. I've got book three of my sci-fi series coming out soon (next month, hopefully!). The previous two - Hollow Moon and Paw-Prints of the Gods - aren't liste..."

I think it really depends upon a central theme or concept in the series that can be utilized to sum up both (or all) the books. For my two series I used the central protagonist's names in the series name but added a word that illustrated their plights, for example, MARK'S HEART, and LINDA'S HEARTBREAK. Probably with fantasy, science fiction etc, one can be more florid in their use of words, depends upon the genre.