Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2016 > 10.7 First Letter (Tien's Task)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5912 comments 10.7 First Letter (Tien's Task)
Read a book with a title that starts with a letter found in OLYMPICS.

Please post any questions regarding this task here.

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2337 comments Excluding articles?

message 3: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5912 comments Ed wrote: "Excluding articles?"

We will be including all words in the title for this one.

Books beginning with A/An/The don't work.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments so all words in the title have to start with one of the letters in Olympics?

message 5: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5912 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "so all words in the title have to start with one of the letters in Olympics?"

Just the first one.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments oh good,

message 7: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4419 comments I found this one:
Sea Of Grass and it's the most popular edition, but other editions start with "the". May I use it?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I found this one:
Sea Of Grass and it's the most popular edition, but other editions start with "the". May I use it?"

No, that title was incorrect even just looking at the cover of that edition. I have fixed it.

message 9: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4419 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "I found this one:
Sea Of Grass and it's the most popular edition, but other editions start with "the". May I use it?"

No, that title was incorrect even just loo..."

Oh, well, duh! Sorry -- I only looked at the tiny picture and didn't even notice.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I only looked at the tiny picture and didn't even notice.."

Yeah, I had to click "enlarge cover" or whatever it says.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariealex) | 571 comments For translated works, do we need to use the original title or the translated title for this one ?

I am reading De amor y de sombra, which in english is Of Love and Shadows, and I'm reading it in French (where it is named D'amour et d'ombre) : which one works in this case ?

message 12: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 20, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Marie wrote: "For translated works, do we need to use the original title or the translated title for this one ?

I am reading De amor y de sombra, which in english is

Of Love and Shadows is the most popular edition, so that is the spelling of the title that will qualify. "O" is good!

message 13: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 18, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Rosemary | 2785 comments I read Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories starting with M which is the most popular paperback edition and the edition I read. However the most popular edition is a hardback called The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook. It's a Juvenile book anyway, with no lexile score, so only 10 points, but can I claim it?

ETA: I don't think they're really the same book, since the hardback says it has 21 stories and Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories only has 13. I should probably separate them... but not right now

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Rosemary wrote: "I read Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories starting with M which is the most popular paperback edition and the edition I read. However the most popular edition is a hardback called [book:The M..."

No, sorry this book will not work for this task. Often books are combined which have a different number of stories. I look at this the same way as abridged versions are combined with the full work, according to policy.

message 15: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2785 comments OK thanks!

message 16: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe (phoebegilmore) | 158 comments Hi,
I'm reading "Soft in the Head" by Marie-Sabine Roger, but the German version Das Labyrinth der Wörter. And the first edition on the author page (which should be the most popular edition, if I got it right) is a German version, too.
But since the book is originally French with the title "La Tête En Friche" I wondered if the original title counts here, nevertheless?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Phoebe wrote: "Hi,
I'm reading "Soft in the Head" by Marie-Sabine Roger, but the German version Das Labyrinth der Wörter. And the first edition on the author page (which should be the most popular..."

Yes, that will count. Unless there isn't one, it is always the English language title that qualifies for these title tasks.

message 18: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe (phoebegilmore) | 158 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Yes, that will count. Unless there isn't one, it is always the English language title that qualifies for these title tasks."

Okay, thanks for clearing it up! :)

message 19: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariealex) | 571 comments What about the untranslated books that begin with an article ? I'm reading Les Fiancés de l'hiver, however since "Les" is the translation of "The" I am wondering...

(such a simple task generating so many questions ;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Marie wrote: "What about the untranslated books that begin with an article ? I'm reading Les Fiancés de l'hiver, however since "Les" is the translation of "The" I am wondering...

(such a simple..."

We disallowed the leading articles in English because they didn't qualify for the task. In your case, the first word does qualify, and we'll allow it.

message 21: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariealex) | 571 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Marie wrote: "What about the untranslated books that begin with an article ? I'm reading Les Fiancés de l'hiver, however since "Les" is the translation of "The" I am wondering...

..."

Thanks Elizabeth !