Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2016 > 10.9 It's Personal (Rosemary's Task)

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6164 comments 10.9 It's Personal (Rosemary's Task)
Read a book whose title is the name of one person/character and no other words. A person’s title counts as part of the name if it appears with the personal name. Subtitles can be ignored. The person/character may be real or fictional, human, animal or fantastical, but not a place or an inanimate object.

These work: Richard III, Emma, Jane Eyre, Dr. Thorne, Madame Bovary, Mary Tudor: Princess, Bastard, Queen (ignoring subtitle), Prince Caspian, White Fang.

These don’t work: The White Queen (no personal name), I Am Malala (includes other words), Queen Mary by James Steele (refers to a ship in this case, not a person).

Feel free to ask questions about this task here.

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2469 comments Just want to make sure that "An Erotic Life" in Paul Gauguin: An Erotic Life is considered a subtitle here?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12437 comments Ed wrote: "Just want to make sure that "An Erotic Life" in Paul Gauguin: An Erotic Life is considered a subtitle here?"

Yes, that works.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12437 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would you accept Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family, Katie is the name of the dog."

Sorry, Jayme, that title includes other words.

message 8: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments And I would like to ask about:
The Count of Monte Cristo
Little Dorrit

Many thanks

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12437 comments Rebekah wrote: "Rumpole of the Bailey"

This does not work because of the extra words.

message 10: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2304 comments I have "Cinder" on my list to read so if it is approved, I have a spot for it in this challenge.

message 11: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6164 comments Rebekah wrote: "Would these work?
Poe
Mr. Swirlee
Helen of Sparta
Maggie: A Girl of the Streets
Daniel Deronda
Trilby
[book:Os..."

Out of your list, these work:
Maggie: A Girl on the Streets
Daniel Deronda
Trilby
Cinder

These do NOT work:
Oscar and Lucinda (not a single character, but multiple)
Helen of Sparta (additional words)

These MAY work:
Mr. Swirlee-Is there a character in the book named Mr. Swirlee or is this a play on words?
Poe-Is Poe the name of a character in this book or does it refer to something else?

message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6164 comments Lagullande wrote: "And I would like to ask about:
The Count of Monte Cristo
Little Dorrit

Many thanks"

Sorry, neither of these works.
The Count of Monte Cristo does not include a personal name and Little Dorrit includes an extra word.

message 13: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments Kate S wrote: "Sorry, neither of these works.
The Count of Monte Cristo does not include a personal name and Little Dorrit includes an extra word. "

Oops, mea culpa for asking about The Count - I had told myself about the lack of personal name, but then promptly forgot!

I did think Little Dorrit might work, as that is what the character is called. Not to worry though, it was only for combo points.

message 14: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 05, 2016 02:47PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments Kate S wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Would thesePoe work?
Poe
Mr. Swirlee
Helen of Sparta
Maggie: A Girl of the Streets
Daniel Deronda
Trilby
this is in the very first of Mr. Swirlee
“What did they do?” Mr. Swirlee screamed, his bald head immediately went from beet red to dark purple. “You idiot. Did you hear anything I said? They tried to kill me for God’s sake.” His real name was Weldon Swirlmann. Although he insisted I call him Mr. Swirlee.

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments Poe won't work

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 722 comments Just to check because I think this one might be a little bit of a grey area - Neuromancer.

I ask because Neuromancer is an AI in the book - one of the main characters - and I don't know if that would count as an inanimate object or not.

message 17: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 09, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Rosemary | 3003 comments Isn't the name of the AI Wintermute?

But what a great question. If Neuromancer is the personal name of one individual AI, I'd say it was in the spirit of the task, as a fantastical character, but let's see what the mods say. Because for example what about Christine, which is a car with a mind of its own (or maybe possessed - it's a long time since I read it). There I think perhaps not. Definitely a grey area!

message 18: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 09, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12437 comments Heather wrote: "Just to check because I think this one might be a little bit of a grey area - Neuromancer.

I ask because Neuromancer is an AI in the book - one of the main characters - and I don't kn..."

Yes, this works. After not seeing the character on GR's list of characters, it occurred to me this is the type of thing likely to be in a wikipedia entry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroma..., which says that Neuromancer is Wintermute's sibling. Seems to fit the "fantastical" requirement.

message 19: by Heather (last edited Jun 09, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 722 comments Rosemary wrote: "Isn't the name of the AI Wintermute?

But what a great question. If Neuromancer is the personal name of one individual AI, I'd say it was in the spirit of the task, as a fantastical character, but ..."

Wintermute is the other half of the Tessier-Ashpool AI pair. Wintermute's also the crazy one - Neuromancer already has a stable personality.

Also, I thought it would qualify because Neuromancer is a *sentient* and *self aware* AI, not just a computer program that does what it's told. Glad to know I thought right!

message 20: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1458 comments How about Winger by Andrew Smith?

Winger is the nickname given to the narrator and what he's called by his mates on the rugby team, but it isn't his given name.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12437 comments Joanna wrote: "How about Winger by Andrew Smith?

Winger is the nickname given to the narrator and what he's called by his mates on the rugby team, but it isn't his given name."

Sorry for the delay, Joanna. Yes, that works for this task.

message 22: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Requesting a ruling on The BFG by Roald Dahl.

I appreciate at first blush the indefinite article "the" would appear to disqaulify. However, I would ask the judges consider that the character himself is "the BFG." He introduces himself as "the BFG" and never is referred to without the "the." To wit, I am arguing that because, whether as an acronym or not, the name requires the article in order to be complete. This is directly analogous to El Cid, where technically the "el" is an indefinite article, but in truth an essential part of the name.

The prosecution rests.

message 23: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Gabriel wrote: "Requesting a ruling on The BFG by Roald Dahl.

I appreciate at first blush the indefinite article "the" would appear to disqaulify. However, I would ask the judges conside..."

I hereby retract the specific request, as the title is below the Lexile requirement on the YA/Juv scale. (Dangit). BUT...conceptually I would love to hear the mods thoughts on the matter.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12437 comments Being consistent with not allowing extra words, as we were with Little Dorrit above, The BFG wouldn't be acceptable for this task.

message 25: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Being consistent with not allowing extra words, as we were with Little Dorrit above, The BFG wouldn't be acceptable for this task."

Boo for consistency! I was all ready to jump in and plead my case for LD, using BFG as precedent ;-)

message 26: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Ella Minnow Pea: A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable - I'm guessing this won't work because of the subtitle? (Of course the MPE is the only one WITH a subtitle, sigh...)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12437 comments Sam wrote: "Ella Minnow Pea: A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable - I'm guessing this won't work because of the subtitle? (Of course the MPE is the only one WITH a subtitle, sigh...)"

Subtitles are ignored for this one.

message 28: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments I started reading Maggie: A Girl of the Streets on my iPad, then found out the MPE is only 92 pages. I didn't get a final judgement on Mr. Swirlee. In post 14, I copied the passage about the name.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12437 comments Rebekah wrote: " I didn't get a final judgement on Mr. Swirlee. In post 14, I copied the passage about the name. "

I'm sorry we didn't follow up. Yes. you may use Mr. Swirlee for this task.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Ah, I missed that part, sorry! Glad that it works though! :)

message 31: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4355 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: " I didn't get a final judgement on Mr. Swirlee. In post 14, I copied the passage about the name. "

I'm sorry we didn't follow up. Yes. you may use Mr. Swirlee for this task."

Thanks