Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2016 > 10.8 Come to the Fair (Karen Michele's Task)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5989 comments 10.8 Come to the Fair (Karen Michele's Task)
Read a book with a carnival, circus, fair, amusement park, zoo, water park, or festival featured.

Please post questions about summer task 10.8 in this thread.

message 2: by Karen Michele (last edited Jun 04, 2016 08:29AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments I'd like to thank the AAMP group for the inspiration for this task. That group had a carnival theme for the last quarter and lots of tasks revolved around different types of carnivals. I didn't finish my list of books on the theme, so I came up with this task idea and extended the options to include other summer activities like festivals and the zoo. Books should have more than just a scene where the characters attend an event. The place should be a major setting for the book. I will be using this space to list some book ideas.
The Catch Trap by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day
World's Fair by E.L. Doctorow
Truth Like the Sun by Jim Lynch
A Son of the Circus by John Irving
More to come....

message 3: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1544 comments Would this book work? The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story

message 4: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Bea wrote: "Would this book work? The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story"

I don't think this one does, Bea, sorry. I'm looking for books that are about the circus or a zoo, etc. and in this book there are no animals and the story isn't about a zoo. I hope you can find something else you will enjoy!

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1544 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would this book work? The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story"

I don't think this one does, Bea, sorry. I'm looking for books that are about the circus or a zoo, etc. and in t..."

Yeah, I kinda thought that might be the case. No problem.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) This is awesome, Karen! Thanks for giving AMMP credit. You are aces.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2261 comments Would this work? Mermaid Park

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2355 comments Non-fiction works?

message 9: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 04, 2016 10:02AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2824 comments I'm guessing these would work? I've read most of them, so just for examples:

Water for Elephants
The Night Circus
Swamplandia!
Jurassic Park

message 10: by Bea (new)

message 11: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 04, 2016 10:30AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11846 comments I certainly don't know if they all qualify, but here is a listopia of Circus Carnival Books.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

It Happened at the Fair

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11846 comments Looking at Karen's list, I see Truth Like the Sun would combo with Kate's 20.9 Political. I have to restrain myself from adding this, but having attended the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, it definitely looks intriguing.

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would this work? Mermaid Park"

Yes, that looks fine, Jayme!

message 14: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Ed wrote: "Non-fiction works?"

Yes, it does, Ed.

message 15: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Rosemary wrote: "I'm guessing these would work? I've read most of them, so just for examples:

Water for Elephants
The Night Circus
Swamplandia!
Jurassic Park"

Yes, these are all good examples.

message 16: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Bea wrote: "possibles:
Slow Dollar
St. Peter's Fair"

Both of those books look great.

message 17: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Thanks, Karen Michele: I was just looking for a spot for Nights at the Circus!

message 18: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 1 comments I've been eyeing this book for some time

Menagerie

message 19: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2824 comments Do you think this one would fit?
Against the Day
It was on one of the lists but I'm not sure from the description.

message 20: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Snowtulip wrote: "I've been eyeing this book for some time

Menagerie"

I have that one from the library. It's another one I didn't quite get to, so I'm excited to read it, too!

message 21: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Rosemary wrote: "Do you think this one would fit?
Against the Day
It was on one of the lists but I'm not sure from the description."

It's hard to tell. I can't say yes from the description, but if someone has read it and it fits, please chime in!

message 24: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 619 comments I read and loved The Circus Fire and can vouch that large parts take place at the circus.

message 25: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Yes to the 3 books above. I'm on my phone, but they all look good!

message 26: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments I mean 4 books above ;)!

message 27: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1325 comments Thanks for getting back so quickly.

message 29: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 173 comments I've been looking for a task that would enable me to read this one:

We Bought a Zoo :)

message 30: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 976 comments I read both these for last season's Mystery task, which I can recommend to anyone who likes an old-school fun read.
Death of Anton (British Library Crime Classics) by Alan Melville Antidote to Venom A British Crime Classic by Freeman Wills Crofts

message 31: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Joanna wrote: "How about Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers

Carter Beats the Devil"

The nonfiction is a bit off, but I'll approve that because it sounds like there will be a lot about the animals. Carter Beats the Devil is on my list, but I didn't post it up above yet, so it's a go!

message 32: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Lagullande wrote: "I read both these for last season's Mystery task, which I can recommend to anyone who likes an old-school fun read.
Death of Anton (British Library Crime Classics) by Alan Melville [bookcover:Antidote to Venom: A British Crime..."

Thanks! These two look like great choices!

message 33: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Kätlin wrote: "I've been looking for a task that would enable me to read this one:

We Bought a Zoo :)"

Yes, that's a great choice!

message 35: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Yes, that works, Sam.

message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments What about Church of Marvels? From the reviews it seems like at least a portion of the book revolves around a circus/sideshow.

message 37: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Sam wrote: "What about Church of Marvels? From the reviews it seems like at least a portion of the book revolves around a circus/sideshow."

Yes, this one looks good. It sounds like it has enough about the sideshow to qualify.

message 38: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Perfect, thanks! :)

message 39: by Beth (last edited Jun 05, 2016 06:55PM) (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1102 comments I will be reading Girl on a Wire although it's a YA with a Lexile of 700. I picked it up as a free kindle book a while back and I'm looking forward to getting to it.

message 40: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Beth wrote: "I will be reading Girl on a Wire"

That's another one on my TBR ---- sounds great!

message 41: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1853 comments This collection of short stories looks like it would fit: Carniepunk - let me know if it doesn't!

message 42: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Deedee wrote: "This collection of short stories looks like it would fit: Carniepunk - let me know if it doesn't!"

Yup! Another book for my TBR!

message 43: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2824 comments How about this one? Another Roadside Attraction

message 44: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Rosemary wrote: "How about this one? Another Roadside Attraction"

Yes, that will work! Tom Robbins is such fun --- maybe I should re-read that one!

message 45: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2824 comments Great! Just ordered it :-)

message 46: by Rebekah (new)

message 47: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4455 comments Rebekah wrote: "what about this one?
Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician"

Yes, that will work, Rebekah.

message 48: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4227 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "what about this one?
Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician"

Yes, that will work, Rebekah."

Thanks

message 49: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2415 comments Will Sideshow fit?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11846 comments Tien wrote: "Will Sideshow fit?"

Yes!

« previous 1