The Sword and Laser discussion

Ken Liu
This topic is about Ken Liu
Author Questions / AMAs > Nebula Award questions for Ken Liu

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1135 comments Mod
We'll be sitting down to chat with Ken Liu at the Nebula Awards May 17th.

What should we ask him?

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments Of the interviews you announced, this is the one I'm most excited for, as I've read some of his original stuff and think it's great. His translated stuff is great, too, but I can't compare it to the original. But I'm glad he's helping bring stuff I wouldn't otherwise be able to read to the US.

So, he's got a Nebula and a Hugo for short stories. Which story of the 2 does he like better (I really liked The Paper Menagerie)?

He's done some short form fiction (short stories and such) but I know he also has a novel coming out soon-ish (next year?). How has he bridged the gap from writing short to long form? Is there anything he can tell us about his upcoming fantasy novel?

What is the difference in his approach when working on his own stuff as compared with translation? How do the skills overlap? Is it hard not to inject his own...for lack of a better word, quirks...into the translations?

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments As much as I like Liu's stories, I'm more curious about his translations. Japanese science fiction has made in-roads into the US thanks to the popularity of anime and manga, while Chinese SF remains opaque to Americans. So some questions relating to that:

1) Most of the authors you've translated have been from the People's Republic. Is there less science fiction coming out of Taiwan, or is it less interesting? Is there any cross-pollination between authors in the two countries?

2) Have you ever encountered a story that's really good but would require too much knowledge of Chinese culture, politics or geek memes for Americans to comprehend?

3) One of the Ma Boyong stories you've translated was based upon Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. How much influence does Western SF have on Chinese SF? I know Japanese SF authors will sometimes reference fairly obscure American authors like Robert F. Young or Hal Clement who somehow became popular in Japan; have you ever encountered anything similar in Chinese stories?

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) Any time management tips? - he seems amazingly prolific between writing translating and other responsibilities and projects.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2817 comments What would it take for him to decide to write full-time?