Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > June 2016 Book of the Month-Open Season

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments On her thirty-fourth birthday, Daisy Minor decides to make over her entire life. The small-town librarian has had it with her boring clothes, her ordinary looks, and nearly a decade without so much as a date. It's time to get a life—and a sex life. The perennial good girl, Daisy transforms herself into a party girl extraordinaire—dancing the night away at clubs, laughing and flirting with abandon—and she's declared open season for man hunting. But her free-spirited fun turns to shattering danger when she witnesses something she shouldn't—and becomes the target of a killer. Now, before she can meet the one man who can share her life, first she may need him to save it.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I love this book!

message 3: by Eve (last edited Jun 04, 2016 02:49AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I've read Open Season so many times that I should be tired of it but I continue to love it because its so enjoyable and fun read with touch of suspense.
Love Daisy and Jack together. They have great chemistry and make fantastic couple. The banter between them was perfect.

message 4: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
I started reading this yesterday and I'm about 40% in and loving it!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments Oh, Yay! I just read this book a few weeks ago, but I'll pop in to chat with everyone about it! It's really a fun romantic suspense and Daisy made this a lighthearted experience. Her mother and aunt are a riot!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I love this book, I have read this book so many times and I love it better each time

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments what is your favorite part?

message 8: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments I really enjoyed reading Open Season. Its such a wonderful book with enough suspense to add some thrill but lots of LOL moments to sooth away the darkness of trafficking and murders.

I think that my favorite parts were related with....condoms.
Daisy buying condoms and being caught by Jack was so funny, just as their discussion of condoms during some very heated moments ;) These were the scenes that firstly jumped to my mind.

message 9: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments I have tried to read this book several times, but I get stopped by the hatred of human trafficking. However, so many of you have said it's wonderful that I shall try again to get beyond that.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments Jane, I hate human trafficking also. I have a friend in San Diego who works with the women who are rescued from it. It is an abomination and a subject not to be taken lightly. I wasn't happy with the outcome of that aspect of the book, but, if you can set that aside, it's a really good book.

message 11: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Jane, I think once you get over the beginning you will enjoy it. Yes, this story involves several difficult topics, like human trafficing, date rape drugs, corrupted city officials, etc but I think its not as dark and depressing like some other books with similar theme. So be brave, Jane ;)

message 12: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

I just finished reading Open Season and I really enjoyed it! I'll wait to share my thoughts till a few days more so as not to spoil it for anyone. But, I will say this: I loved reading Jack and Daisy's interactions and especially, Jack's thoughts about Daisy. It's absolutely amusing and endearing to see the hero's feelings about the heroine and life change from the beginning till the end of the book. I hope this wasn't a spoiler since it's romantic suspense - the happy ending is expected. ;)
I really think you will enjoy it, Jane - the human trafficking and other crimes/issues touched in this book are both horrifying and sad, in general, but they're not the main focus of the story - just a plot device to support the story and tie it in at times. The story is really well-written and enjoyable!

message 13: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments Thanks for the wisdom of pushing past the dark topics...I'm next to get it on the library's digital collection, so hope to have it soon.

message 14: by Dee (last edited Jun 06, 2016 10:00PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Open Season was the first book I picked up by LH and not knowing her after I read the Prologue I put it down and didn't pick up her books for maybe six months.
Linda Howard is not a author that writes about really dark issues unless it is in a wholesome way, and not to give away the ending the ones responsible get theirs in a really appropriate way.

Jane, since you already know about the human trafficking I would suggest you skip the prologue and start where Daisy wants to make a complete change in her life.

message 15: by Eve (last edited Jun 07, 2016 02:39AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I think that Jack Russo is one of my favorite heros by Linda Howard. I liked how he was interested in Daisy even before her makeover, how he took seriously threats against Daisy (his SWAP history helped) and overall he was one sexy guy **dreamy sigh**

message 16: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I'm always thinking about the ending and wondering what really happened (view spoiler)

message 17: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments Thanks, Dee. I just found out the digital copy is an audiobook which I don't do, so I'll need to check our library's paper collection. I can't seem to find it online listed, and I know they had it once, but it may have been weeded over the years.

message 18: by ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ (last edited Jun 07, 2016 08:08AM) (new)

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Janeiowa wrote: "Thanks, Dee. I just found out the digital copy is an audiobook which I don't do, so I'll need to check our library's paper collection. I can't seem to find it online listed, and I know they had it ..."

Amazon has it for $6.99 if your looking to buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Open-Season-Li...

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Eve wrote: "I think that Jack Russo is one of my favorite heros by Linda Howard. I liked how he was interested in Daisy even before her makeover, how he took seriously threats against Daisy (his SWAP history h..."

I completely agree Eve!!

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments I loved the way Jack rubbed Daisy the wrong way from the time they first met.

message 21: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ wrote: "Janeiowa wrote: "Thanks, Dee. I just found out the digital copy is an audiobook which I don't do, so I'll need to check our library's paper collection. I can't seem to find it online listed, and I ..."

Thanks. I just bought it.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Janeiowa wrote: "Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ wrote: "Janeiowa wrote: "Thanks, Dee. I just found out the digital copy is an audiobook which I don't do, so I'll need to check our library's paper collec..."

Welcome, enjoy!!

message 23: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments I'm up to the part where she's off for help with makeup.

message 24: by Eve (last edited Jun 07, 2016 11:22PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Anita wrote: "I loved the way Jack rubbed Daisy the wrong way from the time they first met."

The interaction between Jack and Daisy is what makes this story really work for me. Starting with that scene in the library - Jack was crowding Daisy's personal space, staring at her, so Daisy though that he's one rude patron - was very vividly plotted and you could feel sparks flying between these two.
I also loved how Jack was taken back that Daisy didn't even consider his suitability (poor guy!) and Daisy was annoyed that Jack meddled into her mission to find suitable husband. Daisy's intention to make her "availability" known to men, and the resulting misunderstandings was so much fun to read.

message 25: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments Eve wrote: "I think that Jack Russo is one of my favorite heros by Linda Howard. I liked how he was interested in Daisy even before her makeover, how he took seriously threats against Daisy (his SWAP history h..."

Mine too <3
Jack Russo was crowding Daisy and quite bossy, yet, he was nicely caring, protective, tolerant and with sense of humor. The way he took care of puppy make you believe that he's gonna be wonderful father one day. And he has interesting sense of justice - to shoot off man's balls...I think this was quite deserving punishement for that horrible man.

message 26: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments THANK YOU to all of you who encouraged me to get beyond the very dark crimes and enjoy Daisy and Jack. What a treat. I've come to love them both. I'm about 70% through...Daisy has just brought the "protection" ball of fluff home!

message 27: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Good to hear that, Jane..! Glad you're enjoying it! :)

message 28: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments I finished it a few hours ago, and I see why so many of you love Daisy and Jack.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Janeiowa wrote: "I finished it a few hours ago, and I see why so many of you love Daisy and Jack."

Awesome!!! Glad you enjoyed it Jane!!

message 30: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments Daisy and Jack are a wonderful couple. Jane, I'm glad you pushed past the human trafficking to enjoy a wonderful book.

message 31: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Jane, I'm so glad that you finally finished Open Season. Yippee!

message 32: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments I was also delighted by Jack's sniper shot to good old Mr. Phillips.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Janeiowa wrote: "I was also delighted by Jack's sniper shot to good old Mr. Phillips."

Karma!!

message 34: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Sudduth | 85 comments Dee wrote: "what is your favorite part?"

The scene where she was purchasing condoms, the discussion of the color mauve and when she squeezed that guy's testicles!

message 35: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments Those were great scenes...and the continuing "debate" about the color "puce." LOL moments!

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Daisy couldn't use the blue condom because "it" would look frozen LOL...

message 37: by Eve (last edited Jun 11, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ wrote: "Daisy couldn't use the blue condom because "it" would look frozen LOL..."

...and with cherry one "it" would look infected, green aka watermelon condom...gangrene. LOL. Avoid the PartyPak.

message 38: by Eve (last edited Jun 11, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Jodi wrote: "Dee wrote: "what is your favorite part?"

The scene where she was purchasing condoms, the discussion of the color mauve and when she squeezed that guy's testicles!"

Poor guy. He was so afraid of Daisy when they met the next time. I think he will think twice before grabbing strange woman to his lap :P

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Eve wrote: "Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ wrote: "Daisy couldn't use the blue condom because "it" would look frozen LOL..."

...and with cherry one "it" would look infected, green aka watermelon c..."

LOL....

message 40: by Dee (last edited Jun 11, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Which one was missing from the party pack. I have yet to restart this book and can't remember. I am starting it on Monday.

Jane I am soo happy you got through the trafficking part. I am like you I couldn't stand that. I can't (won't) read Karen Rose because of how dark her books are. I would not have suggested you push past the prequel if I hadn't known it was worth it.

Although there are many great parts in this book one of the ones I loved was when the Mayor was arrested and all the city council members were there when he was brought in in handcuffs. Like Dorsey said Karma. What a jerk!! It couldn't have happened to a better man.

Jane I also loved how Mr. Phillips got shot. So appropriate.

message 41: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Sudduth | 85 comments Was it the banana one?

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ The bubblegum one was missing LOL...

message 43: by Eve (last edited Jun 12, 2016 01:08AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee, you are right. It was such a wonderful scene how the mayor was arrested. He's arrogant belief that they have nothing against him and he can easily charm himself out of it, then starting to have doubts and finally realization that he's in big, big trouble with no way out... At least he did one good thing: he hired Jack as the Police Chief :D
I got the impression that his wife stopped drinking and turned new page in her life. Good!

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Jodi wrote: "Dee wrote: "what is your favorite part?"

The scene where she was purchasing condoms, the discussion of the color mauve and when she squeezed that guy's testicles!"

I loved those scenes! I can totally visualize the guy getting his balls crushed, and the next week when Daisy tried to apologize to the guy and he is literally running from her.

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments What is your opinion of Sykes? LH has made him out to be a very organized, smart sociopath, but in the end was redeemable. Was he redeemable? do you think he turned over a new leaf?

message 46: by ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ (last edited Jun 12, 2016 08:52PM) (new)

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Dee wrote: "What is your opinion of Sykes? LH has made him out to be a very organized, smart sociopath, but in the end was redeemable. Was he redeemable? do you think he turned over a new leaf?"

I'm kinda torn....what he did was beyond horrible....yet he never actually got his own hands dirty. And he made it clear he had NO respect for the mayor and Mr. Phillips....he came across as really disliking them and the role he played.

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I also am torn. What I know of sociopaths (and admittedly that isn't much) they are NEVER going to become caring, loving people. So I want to think he wasn't, though I can't imagine anyone being able to do what he did and still have a conscious.

In my HEA I want Jen Nolan to stop drinking and reconnect with her kids. I want those kids to realize that their jerk of a father was trying to cause problems with them and their mom. I want the kids to totally dump their father.
I wouldn't mind if Sykes retired, perhaps eventually-but not right away, get together with Jen and his contribution to the relationship is to build up her self-esteem.

message 48: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

I have to say I didn't really like the ending, i.e. the last scene of the epilogue where Jennifer lets Sykes into the house.
On the one hand, I want to believe that Sykes turns over a new leaf and is doing good deeds to clear his conscience (it's possible - he had a close call with the shot he took) but on the other hand, I just can't seem to see him and Jennifer together.
I agree with Dee about how the ending should have been Jennifer reconnecting with her kids and pulling her life back together. As for Sykes, from everything I knew about him from his thoughts and his job, the few lines of the epilogue weren't enough to make me believe in his sudden change of heart.

message 49: by Eve (last edited Jun 13, 2016 02:10AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments When I read this book first time, then I remember thinking. "What? Did Sykes went there to kill Jennifer???". But now that I've read more of Linda Howard's books, then I don't think so anymore.

Considering who was the male lead in DEATH ANGEL (unfeeling assassin), then now I rather believe that Sykes finally realized that he has to stop or he will be stopped next time (he nearly got killed during the shooting). So did he learn from his mistakes and perhaps he will end up together with Jennifer?

Sometimes when I read this book then I think that what if he was some sort of an undercover agent who was put there to help to take down the trafficking group?

I kinda like books that leave something to readers imagination and everyone can form their own opinion.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Would you have liked to hear more about Sykes and Jennifer like another book or maybe a novella?

« previous 1