Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

XI. Misc > What are your Guilty Pleasures as a writer?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) I think it's safe to say that Coffee and baked goods are a given with most of us aspiring and inspiring writers. lol.

And this is might be a shameless plug but I actually just wrote a blog about my guilty pleasure, a random writing topic that came about after doing the 30 day photo challenge on Instagram. I'm mostly excited because I officially started my own blog with wordpress.org in November 2015 but I've been incredibly slow (read: terrified) to actually write a BLOG. My site has consisted of Fan-Fiction and Book Reviews that I cross-post here on Goodreads. And only in the last few months have I begun to post chapters of my two Original works.

So here it is: Netflix: It's EVIL (if you're an aspiring author)

And with that in mind, does anyone else have any bad habits when it comes to sticking to your writing schedule? I can't be the only procrastinator on here!!!

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Cole (rosemarycole) | 6 comments Hi, I'm Rosemary, a relatively new author. My guilty pleasures are reading and watching movies or series when I should be writing or marketing my books. Let me tell you, my entire day is taken up by just those two tasks, plus looking after my home and family--and myself (exercise, etc). And I don't even have kids! Hats off to all you mothers who are trying to write. Anyway, ever since I decided to start writing, I find I no longer have time to read! I try to sneak in a little at bedtime and typically my eyes start to close after two pages. How I envy all those voracious readers out there who have time to plow through one book after another! Oh, well. 'Tis the life we chose. Guess I'll stop moaning now, LOL.

message 3: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 145 comments "I don't have time"

I work full time, and have step kids every other weekend, and it's easy to fill up my precious 'free time' with other things.
So, my writing isn't getting done at the moment.
I've started book 6 but things keep getting in the way.

I need to stop stopping myself, and clear decent writing time again!

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) T.L. wrote: ""I don't have time"

I work full time, and have step kids every other weekend, and it's easy to fill up my precious 'free time' with other things.
..."

Book SIX? God blessed you. I'd be happy to catch up to ya!!

message 5: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl Kill your TV!

If you don't have one, bless your soul. It's such a time-eater.

My slothfulness is sleeping late when I can. Waking at noon tends to make the rest of the day disappear in a flash of catching up.

I try to combine my errands too, and only go out to take care of the necessities once a week or less. I keep a list and see if I really have to do this or that. I can usually put most of it off.

Put yourself/your writing/your research on the calendar!

message 6: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 17 comments I gave up Facebook whilst writing, I was getting a bit bored with it anyway and I found that it wasted so much time. I wanted to stand back from the flared Brexit tempers on there too... Stereotypical I know, but lots of mugs of tea/coffee and Lindt chocolate helps me to write, interspersed with some walks, not only to clear my head from all the finance research I had to do but also to walk off the Lindt.

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) Jen wrote: "I gave up Facebook whilst writing, I was getting a bit bored with it anyway and I found that it wasted so much time. I wanted to stand back from the flared Brexit tempers on there too... Stereotypi..."

Facebook is reality TV: the web edition lol

message 8: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 17 comments Lanae ~* ~ Veritable Old Lady Crow ~*The ( Keyboard) Rambler wrote: "Facebook is reality TV: the web edition lol"

Oh, isn't it just? I love that, ha ha!

message 9: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 154 comments Oh, the Lindt! Goes in so easy...but so hard to take off! Love it, though, LOL!

message 10: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) Guilty pleasure? Rereading my own writing. Not just the novel and the novel-in-progress, but the blog posts.

Some good stuff in there, even if I do say so myself.

A lot of work went into these things, I was satisfied at the time, and many have stood the test of time. IMHO, of course. Not all, of course.

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) Alicia wrote: "Guilty pleasure? Rereading my own writing. Not just the novel and the novel-in-progress, but the blog posts.

Some good stuff in there, even if I do say so myself.

A lot of work went into these th..."

Emeline wrote: "I enjoy editing my blog articles, my poems and my short stories.
I enjoy reading again and again my first novels.
I enjoy writing and re writing the novel on which I am currently focused."

I LOVE rereading my own writing because I struggle with getting down every word because my inner critic has roid-rage apparently. Lol So in terms of writing my guilty pleasure would have to be reading the reviews of my writing. My fan fiction in particular. You know how some people write notes to themselves saying positive things that they post on their mirrors, walls and in journals? Reviews about how great they think my writing is no matter what it is gives me a boost when I'm wondering why I'm putting myself through the stress of sitting at my desk every night.

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) Zee wrote: "Oh, the Lindt! Goes in so easy...but so hard to take off! Love it, though, LOL!"

Hershey's chocolate with almonds is my weakness. Anything chocolate and/or almond related is though.

message 13: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 154 comments Lanae ~* ~ Veritable Old Lady Crow ~*The ( Keyboard) Rambler wrote: "Zee wrote: "Oh, the Lindt! Goes in so easy...but so hard to take off! Love it, though, LOL!"

Hershey's chocolate with almonds is my weakness. Anything chocolate and/or almond related is though."

LOL! My weak spot is cashew nuts. If you leave that in the house, I will be bingeing on it all the time!

message 14: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 154 comments And I hadn't thought of it as guilty pleasure, but the research for a book - scouring locations, all the travel guides, videos on YouTube.

And um, ahem...the search for the hero's pics... *wicked grin*

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) Zee wrote: "And I hadn't thought of it as guilty pleasure, but the research for a book - scouring locations, all the travel guides, videos on YouTube.

And um, ahem...the search for the hero's pics... *wicked ..."

Oh wow. I do that too, it makes it easier to develop the characters. Google is definitely my crutch. But i cant really say i feel guilty about it. Not for the first hour at least. Anything more than an hour is procrastination disguised as "research" LOL.

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago Writing whilst laying on the settee with a brandy in my hand and the dog on my chest.

So far nothing produced when in that pleasant state of oblivion has been fit for anywhere except the bin.

What a surprise...

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) Jane wrote: "Writing whilst laying on the settee with a brandy in my hand and the dog on my chest.

So far nothing produced when in that pleasant state of oblivion has been fit for anywhere except the bin.

Wha..."

LOL!

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Garcia (laloga) | 16 comments I have several. All of them are reddit!

message 19: by J. (new)

J. | 7 comments This is more when I'm planning out the story, but I get sucked into researching appropriate names for my main characters :P Like for the crime novel I'm working on now, I've been trying to find just the right surname for a character on a personal redemption arc.... for about a week.

Luckily, I've noticed that goes away by the time I actually get into a good rhythm. When I'm actually into my second or third draft, choosing names turns into "Huh, I need another person here. Did I already use Jeff? F it, the new guy is Jeff."

♥️♥️ Lanae ♥️♥️  (ramboramblernae) @Justin

I'm obsessed with names. and I always feel like it's kismet when I randomly look up the origin of a name and the meaning behind just happens to coincide with the characters name perfectly.

procrastination knows no bounds with me I swear. when I was in HS I used to count "creating" SIMS as character development/profiles haha

message 21: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago Although I posted here I have an admission. I've never in my born days felt even the teeniest bit guilty about pleasure....

Am I odd?

Yes.

Do I care?

No.

Because I'm happy in my madness

message 22: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 79 comments Pop Tarts. Unfrosted cinnamon/brown sugar ones. I permit myself this indulgence when I participate in the National Novel Writing Month marathons. Which I do every year, possibly so I can have an excuse to eat Pop Tarts.

message 23: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 145 comments Lanae;
"Book SIX? God blessed you. I'd be happy to catch up to ya!!"

Sorry; only just seen this!
Keep going; you'll get there. Honestly, barely writing at all at the moment. It won't take you long!

Jane; you're quite right. One should never truly feel guilty about pleasure :)

(*fantasising about being at home with a cup of tea & Mcvities Chocolate Homewheat biccies*)
(*sigh*)

message 24: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Pattison | 9 comments Home made sweet tea. I live off that stuff.

message 25: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 154 comments I'm fighting a sudden crave for M&M's... Who's with me? :)

message 26: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 145 comments Zee wrote: "I'm fighting a sudden crave for M&M's... Who's with me? :)"

Well I am now!! :-O

message 27: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Cole (rosemarycole) | 6 comments T.L. wrote: ""I don't have time"

..."

Checking back into this conversation since I wrote that my guilty pleasure is actually READING. No time anymore because I'm too busy trying to write the next book in my sci-fi series, The Guardians. Out of desperation, I'm trying a new schedule: I get up at 4 am on weekends and days off work. Gives me 4 blissful hours in the morning to write before daily life kicks in with all its demands. I'm more tired, but it's totally worth it!

message 28: by Tinthia (new)

Tinthia | 25 comments I just found this post and I'm glad I did. I'm struggling with the work/life/write/sleep/eat/shower conundrum as well. Allow me to add a feeling of insecurity that keeps my fingers frozen over the keyboard. Ice cream does help, though.

message 29: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Harju (pamelaharju) | 40 comments It's not really a pleasure, but I get caught up in looking up synonyms and double-checking that I'm definitely using the right word when I'm writing. The downside of not writing in my native language, I guess, but damn it, can I not do that checking when I re-write and edit?!?

message 30: by Andy (new)

Andy Zach (andy_zach) | 47 comments Guilty pleasures:
1) Surprise comical twist - e.g. revealing the paranormal animal that reduced a cow to a skeleton in 2 minutes was: a pack of zombie corgis.
2) situational irony: neither the protagonist nor the antagonist knows what's going to happen, but the reader does, and their words and opinions are opposite of what actually happens.
3) End twist: either at the end of a chapter or book, when all seems resolved, another loose end appears and it's worse than anything that has happened so far.

message 31: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 88 comments Slipping annoying people I've met into difficult situations in books - revenge or therapy? Not sure which!

That and working out average words I've written per chapter and doing other odd mathematical calculations with word counts. Harmless but a little sad.

message 32: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 88 comments Pamela wrote: "It's not really a pleasure, but I get caught up in looking up synonyms and double-checking that I'm definitely using the right word when I'm writing. The downside of not writing in my native langua..."

No, because you have to feel the word is right now, when you're writing! Makes sense to me.

message 33: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Harju (pamelaharju) | 40 comments Lexie wrote: "Pamela wrote: "It's not really a pleasure, but I get caught up in looking up synonyms and double-checking that I'm definitely using the right word when I'm writing. The downside of not writing in m..."
Good point, Lexie. I take comfort in this. :)

message 34: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 88 comments Oh, and stationery. I love stationery. I can never have too many pencils or notebooks. But I need them, don't I? I'm a writer!

message 35: by Anna (last edited Jul 19, 2017 06:03AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 227 comments Oh how much of this resonates with me. (@ Pamela - Just checked to make sure that resonate is exactly the right word.) I spent some time this morning (writing day) roaming around Google maps for a route, but it all looked so interesting... half-an-hour later, I wrote 'the Canterbury road' which I could have written without looking up Google.

And yes, Lexie wrote That and working out average words I've written per chapter and doing other odd mathematical calculations with word counts. Harmless but a little sad. Me too.

message 36: by Rae (new)

Rae Louise (raelouiseauthor) | 11 comments Scrolling through these posts made me giggle, I can resonate with so much! Ugh, finding the right names for a character - can you believe that I actually bought a 'baby names' book to consult? My genre is horror, so having the Horror Channel on as background noise can be morbidly inspirational. As an insomniac, caffeine is a no-no for me; but chocolate ... oh, boy! And of course, the terrible dancing when I need to stretch my limbs out after sitting hunched over a laptop all day :D

message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 227 comments Oh Rae - yes. Chocolate, I've just rewarded myself with half a bar (big bar!) And I dance or hula hoop for a few minutes every hour or so - except I'm usually at some exciting moment in the book when I simply cannot stop writing...

message 38: by Rae (new)

Rae Louise (raelouiseauthor) | 11 comments I get those moments too, Anna - before I know it, the sun comes up and I realise I've been writing throughout the night. Hula hooping sounds fun! I might add that one to the list hehe.

message 39: by Jim (last edited Jul 21, 2017 10:18AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1036 comments Writing a novel was just one of four items included in a bucket list that my late wife insisted we create together upon my retirement in 2001. A story had been fermenting in my mind for years. Although it required much more time and effort than I had anticipated, it was released commercially in 2011. Though not a guilty pleasure, the accomplishment provided immense personal pleasure and satisfaction.

message 40: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 88 comments Jim wrote: "Writing a novel was just one of four items included in a bucket list that my late wife insisted we create together upon my retirement in 2001. A story had been fermenting in my mind for years. Alth..."

Oh, yes, there are plenty of unguilty (fairly sure that's not a word, though) pleasures associated with writing, too!

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 246 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Oh Rae - yes. Chocolate, I've just rewarded myself with half a bar (big bar!) And I dance or hula hoop for a few minutes every hour or so - except I'm usually at some exciting moment in the book wh..."

I love my hula hoop. It's a slightly weighted one, so it feels like it massages my back as it swoops around. Not a guilty pleasure-- a healthy one. We need to get up for at least ten minutes for every two hours of sitting. Not that I can sit still that long. I have to just pace a little during a long writing session. Or hula hoop.

message 42: by A.S Chambers (new)

A.S Chambers | 3 comments I am a binge writer where I will sit for a good day and pound out words to the point where I won't want to look at another for a good week, I constantly have my wife in my ear asking if I was going to sit and write on given days and my brain is in the state of word burn out. When I write I have 3 playlists that have 4000 songs in them and with a set of wireless headphones it plays while I write... this goes well with caffeine and nicotine. (Please don't smoke) I also take time to write and design my wife's slogans for her fudge business she just started getting me into the kitchen occasionally to help with the making of her products this takes the brain aches and blockages away quite well.

message 43: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 143 comments A case of sharp pencils and pens

message 44: by Rae (new)

Rae Louise (raelouiseauthor) | 11 comments Writing truly is an addiction :0

Sometimes I'll go into a stationary store and just gaze longingly at all of the enticing notepads and, of course, pens.