Play Book Tag discussion

English Country House Murders
This topic is about English Country House Murders
Archive: Other Books > English Country House Murders - Thomas Godfrey, ed. - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1032 comments This collection of 22 murder mysteries draws together one of the best collections of stories representing classic authors of this genre including Agatha Christie, Wilkie Collins, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Dorothy L. Sayers, P. G. Wodehouse, P. D. James and G. K. Chesterton. Thomas Godfrey's introduction defines the English Country House Mysteries in 14 criteria and then goes on to describe the 'rules of the house' ie the characteristics of the house, the atmosphere and the characters that give it that classification. The stories are presented in "developmental, roughly chronologic, sequence".

For many of the writers it was an introduction to their work for me. Some I liked better than others but I enjoyed all of them. And although I didn't always guess the outcome I could guess the direction of the tale based on similar things I have read using these techniques. I look forward to reading more.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2709 comments This sounds like fun. And it would fulfill a category for the shelfari challenge.

Thanks!