Outlander Series discussion

Outlander on Starz S2 > Episode 10 - Prestonpans

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments we're starting to get towards the end of the season :(

message 2: by Liza (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) saw the episode and it was pretty good. better than the last two episodes (in my opinion...same as the book).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed this episode and it is my favorite of the season so far. While I didn't "mind" that they chose to have Angus die, I just wonder why they did it?
And Dougal going 'rogue' was a bit odd to me as well. The next episode should include the church scene so I am now wondering if that will deviate from the book which personally, I hope they don't. For me, that was so powerful and heart wrenching. Anyone else have these thoughts?

message 5: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments I thought that the scenes culminating with Angus's death were beautiful. The comic interaction between Angus and Rupert was one of my favorite aspects of the season, often lending balance to situations that were so dark and gut-wrenching, but this episode gave their relationship such depth and beauty.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 43 comments Likable, even beloved, characters have to be killed from time to time, in order to keep up the suspense. This is especially important in a story such as Outlander, in which Claire already knows the future - and, as we've seen, she survives and goes back to the future.

message 7: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Angus does die in the books, but in the church scene that will be in the next episode. They chose to give him the circumstances of someone else's death from the books. I notice that the show has far less character development of Jamie's Fraser/lallybroch men. I remember a certain piper from Shetland in the books but the show likely won't do that scene.

message 8: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments Actually, it's Rupert who dies in the books, in the church scene you mentioned. Angus wasn't as fully developed a character in the books, and physically much different....huge. I like the twist that the series used in this episode, taking advantage of the character development of Angus from the beginning

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 13 comments I read an interview with the actor who played Angus and they had planned to kill Willy off instead. But that actor was contracted to do something else and couldn't be in season 2. So they wrote him out of it and gave the death to Angus instead.
I don't remember reading what happens to Angus in the books.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicola wrote: "I read an interview with the actor who played Angus and they had planned to kill Willy off instead. But that actor was contracted to do something else and couldn't be in season 2. So they wrote him..."

HI Nicola! Thanks for that info! I also thought it was odd with what they did with Willy so that now makes sense to me! I didn't mind Angus' death but now am wondering if Rupert will indeed die in the church in this next episode. We will just have to wait and see!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments These comments that speak of what will happen in the next episode contain spoilers for our members that have not read the books. I you want to discuss future episodes it is fine but please spoiler tag that part of your comment. If you are unsure of how to spoiler tag you can check out the how to discussion thread for instructions. Having read the whole series myself I understand how easy it is to speak freely about what will happen next but we need to respect those who want to cperience it one episode at a time.

message 12: by Grandmat (new)

Grandmat (grandmat03053) | 54 comments Nancy wrote: "
And Dougal going 'rogue' was a bit..."

While different from the book, I thought Dougal going rogue was in character. Dougal's firebrand impetuousness and lust for war at all cost was the reason Collin hoped to make Jamie the clan leader upon his impending death. Jamie is a tactician like Collin. Dougal is certainly not.

message 13: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 145 comments Angus and Rupert have become Fred & George for me now... the same feels!!

message 14: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments @Diane:
you're right, I will have to switch from the iPad app to the computer and read the instructions if I want to avoid accidental spoilers, but you're also right that it's HARD! lol