Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Amateur Writing Club Possibility

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (last edited Jun 03, 2016 05:47PM) (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
As stated in the announcement and as a suggestion from one of our members (thank you, Kirk), I am pondering the possibility of an amateur writer's club focusing on creating short stories of an Austenesque nature using an assigned theme to stir the creative process along.

Very raw and very humble just a pen, paper, and an imagination required.

We read it so why not have some fun dabbling in it, right?

I've got some initial thoughts that I'll share, but would love for others to weigh in:
Frequency of the club meetings (I was thinking every other month at the start)
Location of the club (I was looking into a closed Facebook Group page)
Method of sharing (leave that open, everyone shares, take turns, have people draw names for a writing & reading partner, ...)
Rules (defining critique vs. criticism, encouraging, helpful...)
Themes (share your ideas for Austenesque/JAFF writing themes- character sketches, holiday, genre, photo inspirations, etc).

Now, let's hear your thoughts and if you're interested. :)

message 2: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Baum (elizabaum) | 176 comments I have to admit that I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of writing anything Austen-related. Maybe I just love it so much that I don't want to mess it up. :-) That said, it might be fun to try it for something like this.

My thoughts:
-Every other month would be okay, though having an open forum if someone's inspired in the interim might be nice.
-I hate Facebook, but I could endure if that's what others want.
-I'd prefer not to have assigned partners, because you never know if that's going to be a good match or not. Everyone sharing or taking turns both sound good.
-We should definitely agree on rules. Maybe a person could specify the preferred level of critique when posting material?
-Having themes to kick things off would be fun. Maybe it could be based around the month of the next meeting? The first one, for instance, could be a seaside theme in honor of summer. I'd love to read some Ramsgate and Brighton stories! ;-)

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Already, those are helpful initial thoughts, Eliza.

Truthfully, it doesn't have to be Facebook. I actually thought there was a way here on GR that allows for 'journal' entries, but I can't find it now. And maybe there is a way to do a group on Google that can be closed to the public. That's really my thing- I want it to be closed to the public and only the members of the group contributing and reading, but something that is easy to use. I'll keep looking around. :)

message 4: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Baum (elizabaum) | 176 comments Sophia wrote: "Already, those are helpful initial thoughts, Eliza.

Truthfully, it doesn't have to be Facebook. I actually thought there was a way here on GR that allows for 'journal' entries, but I can't find it..."

I do think there's a private option for Google communities. I've never used it, though, so I'm not sure if the format is nice or not.

message 5: by Sophia (new)

I'll check around. Someone will know. :)

message 6: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Yahoo has groups too. Not sure how much is required to set one up. My non-AiB Austen bookclub had a yahoo group but didn't/doesn't use it at all. That group meets Monday, I'll try to ask about Yahoo groups.

Of course, I'm in!!(thanks for the mention...blame!) :) :) :)

Every other month works for me.

Lol, I'm on Facebook for AiB and Mr Mason....so I wouldn't mind it being there.

Not sure about partners being the Free State of Kirk...but that could be enlightening.

Themes: I generally loved that themes were given for the 7 week(the last week was free style, no theme and I still chuckle over that one) Austen Writing Fantasy League that I took part in nearly 6 years ago. Also, specific characters were driven/chosen to be included for sure(other characters could be added) i.e. Dance that included Emma and Elizabeth in a dance off or something like that. Emma 09 is already waving her hand and saying "I'm ready, sir!"(I probably wrote her all wrong but who cares!) She was so very fun to write....lol the week that a certain hero I don't care for was required was less fun....but Emma 09 jumped into that one too and saved the day.
I love Eliza's idea of the seaside....although less keen on specific locations associated with P&P. I'm the odd man out in several ways here....lol especially that I don't want P&P to get more than a 1/6th of the conversation(although it's slightly ahead as my overall favorite)....maybe less if I include bits from the youthful works.

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Oh, Yahoo. Didn't think of that. I'll add it to my research list for a home base.

LOL, I meant critique partners not writing partners if that helps, but I guess writing partners is an option, too.

All good and helpful. Thanks, Kirk!

message 8: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Sophia wrote: "Oh, Yahoo. Didn't think of that. I'll add it to my research list for a home base.

LOL, I meant critique partners not writing partners if that helps, but I guess writing partners is an option, too...."

Hmmmm.......I'm warming to the idea of critique partners...at least for clarity....#clarityinwritingnotme

message 9: by J. W. (last edited Jun 06, 2016 02:38PM) (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Hello, I have just joined this group. I find your discussion very interesting. What about Google Documents. You can make suggestions and leave a comment regarding the problem in the document. I have limited experience using it, but found it fascinating. Your critique partner could be a big help. I have used it with my limited writing. In fact I've recently tried to post in Goodreads. I was so excited to see this group. JWG

message 10: by Sophia (new)

Hi JW!

Glad to have your input. I like the idea of Google Docs for the actual stories would maybe use it in tandem with an on-line place where the group can meet up.

And yay, we are always glad to have more friendly faces in the group. Make yourself at home. :)

message 11: by Sophia (last edited Aug 31, 2016 10:33PM) (new)

Okay folks, I set up a Google Groups writing group for us. I think I just need your email address to add you so you can join the group. I've already got our first writing theme posted up. Hope you like it! :)

message 12: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Thank you Sophia for doing this. I sent the wrong email at first. I revised it ...sorry. This is so exciting. I hope you have a good response.

message 13: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Sophia, I'm in...woohoo!!

message 14: by Sophia (new)

J. W. wrote: "Sophia, I'm in...woohoo!!"

Yay, it worked. Whew, good!

message 15: by Sophia (last edited Aug 31, 2016 10:33PM) (new)

Kirk wrote: "This is such good news indeed!

Kirk...

Thx!!!!!!!!!"

Super! I added you and sent you the email to access the group site.

message 16: by Sophia (new)

Oh and you guys, I'm going to delete the comments here with your emails once I see you're added to the group to protect you from solicitations and stuff.

message 17: by Georgiana (last edited Sep 01, 2016 01:01AM) (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments What a shame, I can't join you, because it would be very hard for me to write in English, even though I'm very good at reading it. May I send you my e-mail address with a MP, so I can read what you all produce, though?

message 18: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Sophia wrote: "Oh and you guys, I'm going to delete the comments here with your emails once I see you're added to the group to protect you from solicitations and stuff."
Thx!!!!!

message 19: by Sophia (new)

Georgiana wrote: "What a shame, I can't join you, because it would be very hard for me to write in English, even though I'm very good at reading it. May I send you my e-mail address with a MP, so I can read what you..."

Absolutely, Georgiana! And even if you don't write in English, you are very welcome to do the group writing projects on your own and share maybe the blurb or if you want to discuss what you are writing to get feedback, that is fine.

message 20: by Sophia (new)

You're added, Eliza. Glad you can join in. Watch for the email.

message 21: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Baum (elizabaum) | 176 comments Sophia wrote: "You're added, Eliza. Glad you can join in. Watch for the email."

Got it! :-) Thanks.

message 22: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments This is so exciting as the numbers build. Gosh, I'm starting to shake in my boots. Whew!!!

message 23: by Sophia (new)

No need to shake, Jeanne! We will be kind and encouraging. :)

message 24: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Thanks... :-( I think
Head held high... :-)

message 25: by Sophia (new)

Be brave like Scooby Doo and you'll get a Scooby Snax. ;)

message 26: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Hilarious...:-)

message 27: by Sophia (new)

That's alright, Georgiana. I'll use your email address and send you the group member link. Glad you could join us.

message 28: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 91 comments I am interested! I will message you my email

message 29: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 623 comments Yeah, Gretchen, welcome to our little party. The more the merrier.

message 30: by Sophia (new)

Gretchen wrote: "I am interested! I will message you my email"

Sounds good!

message 31: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 91 comments J. W. wrote: "Yeah, Gretchen, welcome to our little party. The more the merrier."
Thank you!
Looking forward to it!

Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016

unread topics | mark unread