Vanished- An Advanced Roleplay discussion

Suggestions/Concerns

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Temperance (last edited Jun 03, 2016 03:42PM) (new)

Temperance Have an idea to improve the group, or have a concern you feel needs to be addressed? Post them here!

message 2: by sucre'd fiend (new)

sucre'd fiend (sucredfiend) | 6 comments Hello! This is more so a question than a concern, but this is in regards to the post on background for characters.
What would your take be on characters having a mental illness/disorder? This is me just being an overly conscious psychology major, but some disorders/illnesses are hereditary and/or can pop up for seemingly "no good reason".

Another question is that with this community mentally, wouldn't it also lead to there being cases of traumatizing events that were covered up? If they wish to hold on to the community feeling while some of these events take place ( and I mean, some traumatic things can happen anywhere, even in tightly knit communities ), they could choose to ignore it like it never happened. Or, the majority of people would work vehemently to repress the memory, enough that they actually do and those who hold the memory are left with a choice of believing they remembered wrong or it was a bad dream, or being ostracized. And with a community like what you've described, the latter would be a very very rare choice to make, as most all human beings need a sense of fulfillment in belonging to properly function.

₪Daughter of the Rain and Snow₪ | 250 comments Mod
If the mental illness/disorder would be hereditary, I wouldn't try to keep you guys from making characters like that. It happens and it would be unrealistic to say that everyone in the Valley is in a state of perfect mental health. The main reason we made the comment about the background for characters was for all of the reasons Temperance mentioned. The bad childhoods were just a jumping off point, and the Valley is supposed to be a healing place where people are surrounded by who would help them move on from their troubling past and live their new life in the Compound.

I am no where even close to being a psych major, I don't want to jump to any assumptions about people's mental health, and I didn't think it was my place to anything complicated in the subject for this rp because I wouldn't trust myself to be accurate. You bring up an interesting point about traumatizing events being able to occur anywhere, but the point of the plot and the group wasn't necessarily to focus on any thing deeply psychological. The worst that is supposed to happen in this place is the attacks of the Shade, which these people painstakingly try to avoid. The leaders of the community do not try to cover it up, they want everyone to be painfully aware that their actions could bring on some serious consequences.

Does that help answer some of your questions?

message 4: by sucre'd fiend (new)

sucre'd fiend (sucredfiend) | 6 comments From what I understand for a few of the disorders/illnesses, is that a good deal of their development is how someone copes with something. It might not even be a particularly traumatic thing ( which is, imo, a relative term ), but the person themself could percieve it that way.

And you've answered my questions ^-^ Thank you!

₪Daughter of the Rain and Snow₪ | 250 comments Mod
Ah, understood. My aim isn't to be oppressive at all, because obviously disorders exist, but I was trying to steer away from them in this group, as it would over complicate things and I didn't initially start this group with the intention for everyone to be suffering from sort of disorder/illness. The community is generally set up to help support everyone so they can move through their past trauma, lead them to acceptance of what happened, and leave them relatively unscathed.

No problem! Feel free to ask if you ever have anymore :)