Addicted to YA discussion

Miscellaneous > YA books with lesbian characters?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1 comments I can think of a lot of gay male characters in YA books, but I honestly can't for the life of me remember any lesbian characters. I feel like I have to be forgetting something glaringly obvious.. What are some ya books that include lesbian characters? I mean a character that actually had something to do with the plot of the story, and wasn't just mentioned in passing.

message 2: by Leonora (new)

Leonora (aliencat) | 16 comments anything by sara farizan or malinda lo

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books) (amyriadofbooks) | 39 comments Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series has lesbian and gay characters. The Last Herald Mages series has an exclusively gay character and a book called The Oathbound has what I could call an asexual (or maybe androgynous is the right word?) as one of the main characters.

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace (markedforcourt) The Scorpion Rules is pretty good and the main character is a lesbian I believe.

message 5: by Dorothy (last edited Jun 04, 2016 02:53PM) (new)

Dorothy (doromass) | 8 comments A Song for Ella Grey is an amazing book by my favourite author, David Almond

message 6: by Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (last edited Jun 06, 2016 05:59PM) (new)

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 4586 comments Ash and Everything Leads to You I believe has lesbian MCs.

I think one of the main characters in Deadly Sweet Lies is lesbian, but this book is a companion to another book.

(the reason why I'm unsure on these books is that they could be bi, but the romance is girl/girl)

Some ones I haven't read, but seem to have lesbian characters:
Look Both Ways by Alison Cherry South of Sunshine by Dana Elmendorf Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit by Jaye Robin Brown No One Needs to Know by Amanda Grace My Best Friend, Maybe by Caela Carter Unicorn Tracks by Julia Ember Adaptation (Adaptation, #1) by Malinda Lo Far From You by Tess Sharpe Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2) by Dahlia Adler Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley The Summer I Wasn't Me by Jessica Verdi Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan

There's probably a whole lot more out there, I just did a little search. I can see what you mean, though. There are a lot more with gay male characters.

message 7: by CR (new)

CR Daylex (carryingabyss) | 8 comments Unicorn Tracks and The Abyss Surrounds Us ... so so good, esp. if you like fantasy rather than contemporary.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 76 comments The Porcupine of Truth by Bill Konigsberg The Porcupine of Truth has a great lesbian character.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol Douglas | 32 comments The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth is a well-written YA with a lesbian character who is sent to a school that tries to teach young gays to be straight. The "villains" are more than one-dimensional.