A Little Summer Book Club discussion

More Happy Than Not
This topic is about More Happy Than Not
Book Club Discussions > More Happy Than Not

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kayla (heykayla) | 3 comments Mod
Hey guys! This is a post to discuss the first book we're reading, More Happy Than Not! What did you guys like/dislike about this book? Who were your favorite characters? And your least favorite? Would you get the Leteo Procedure if it was available? We can discuss these questions and more here! Please remember to respect everyone and use the spoiler function when at all possible~

message 2: by Emily (last edited Jun 11, 2016 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily | 5 comments Okie dokes. I guess I'll start off with with some answers, maybe we can some more participation :)

I liked how it had the twist near the end. Granted, at first I felt a little tricked, and confused, especially when it went into flashback scenes. But after the confusion wore off, I felt it was pretty good to take the book in an unexpected direction.

Also, another question that truck me: Would I have the Leteo procedure? I have actually asked myself a similar question in the past, because three years ago, my dad actually killed himself. So I pretty much stalled on reading this book because I didn't know how it would make me feel.

Short term, a few years ago, all I ever would have said was YES, YES PLEASE, MAKE ME FORGET. I remember telling the guy I was dating at the time that all I wanted was to have my memory wiped and start over, be a new person with a new story.I wanted to wipe finding him from my memory, along with any good memories, sad memories, happy memories, etc. It hurt to much to even think about the good things.

But over time, I realized that memories are pretty much all I have left of my father. Many, many good ones, which is what separates me from Aaron's experiences with his father. I would never want to forget him, and instead of removing parts of him from my home, I try to keep him alive by having personal objects/knickknacks of his decorate my space so I think of him often.

So yeah, Aaron's story is very, very different from mine in that regard and I could understand why he'd want to forget his father and everything that happened. But this book made me think about what it means to forget/erase things forever and what it does to people.

Bam, those are some quick thoughts. I hope everyone else is liking the book so far.

Lela Shelton (adventuresoftrudence) I reallyyyyyy don't like Aaron's friends. Or Collin. Like how does one person attract so many douchebags? Do friend groups exist like this in real life?

Emily | 5 comments Lela wrote: "I reallyyyyyy don't like Aaron's friends. Or Collin. Like how does one person attract so many douchebags? Do friend groups exist like this in real life?"

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with Collin's character as a whole.

message 5: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1 comments Emily wrote: "Lela wrote: "I reallyyyyyy don't like Aaron's friends. Or Collin. Like how does one person attract so many douchebags? Do friend groups exist like this in real life?"

Yeah, I was pretty disappoint..."

I didn't think we were supposed to like Collin. He seemed to me a lot like that first love you're drawn to because they are showing interest in you. I do, however, feel like not enough time was spent on their relationship. It's such an important part of the story, but it was really just brushed over. I would have at least liked more mentions of Collin before Aaron gets his memories back.

I also didn't really like Aaron all that much in parts of the story. He was able to be a douchebag himself. I was very happy when Eric called him out on his shit.

Speaking of Eric, I felt like he needed a lot more attention than he got.