Gore and More discussion

Joe Hill
This topic is about Joe Hill
Authors > Joe Hill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
While Joe Hill is the son of the most famous horror author on the planet, I think his work speaks for itself. So much so, that I've often wondered if genetics are a factor in being a good writer. My favorites of his are Heart-Shaped Box and NOS4A2 and I'm eagerly wanting to get to his newest, The Fireman The Fireman by Joe Hill . Has anyone read it yet?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda NEVER MANDY (crazedjane) I am reading it right now. SO GOOD!

message 3: by Jody (new)

Jody (jharcup) | 1 comments I'm just about to start it now

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick (rook916) In almost done with N0S4A2 in loving it. Heart shaped box had me hooked it was the first book in a long time that I've read start to finish in one sitting. I have Fireman and can't wait to start it!

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I loved The Fireman. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 52 comments Not yet. It's not released over here in the UK until tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Heart-shaped box was a brilliant story, not the best written books ever written but really creepy. My boyfriend created a scribble eyed gif of my avatar for me!

Horns has been my favourite of his up to now. Not the most scary or horror like of his books but fantastically written and an excellent story. I seem to have a thing for stories based on American kids, like IT and Summer of Night.

I honestly though NOS4R2 as it's called over here to be a bit 'meh'. It just wasn't scary for me at all. I really need to read it again someday.

I'm useless as remembering all stories in a book of short stories but Pop Art from 20th Century Ghosts is probably the best short story I have ever read. Some of the visuals it created were terrifying!

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I didn't love NOS4R2 either, but Horns will probably be one of my favorites forever. I just felt so much for Ig.

message 8: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 10 comments Joe Hill is great. N0S4A2, The Fireman and 20th century Ghosts being my favorite, so far.

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Kirstin wrote: "Joe Hill is great. N0S4A2, The Fireman and 20th century Ghosts being my favorite, so far."

Which was your favorite story in 20th CG?

message 10: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 10 comments Kandice wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Joe Hill is great. N0S4A2, The Fireman and 20th century Ghosts being my favorite, so far."

Which was your favorite story in 20th CG?"

It's been a while but, if I had to pick- the title story and the one about the horror writer. I enjoyed them all.

message 11: by Char (last edited Jun 07, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Char Kirstin wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Joe Hill is great. N0S4A2, The Fireman and 20th century Ghosts being my favorite, so far."

It's been a while but, if I ..."

I love everything I've read from Joe Hill so far. I think that The Fireman is tied with Wraith for my favorite. I think he really came into his own with The Fireman and I loved all the nods to The Stand.

I'm re-reading 20th Century Ghosts now and I think the short form works as well for him as it did for his father.

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Pop Art is my favorite in that collection and I am thrilled beyond belief that his next work is a book of four novellas.

message 13: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 10 comments Charlene wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Joe Hill is great. N0S4A2, The Fireman and 20th century Ghosts being my favorite, so far."

It's been a ..."

I think I need to find my copy seeing as how I can't remember any of the story titles! I was super impressed.

message 14: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 10 comments Kandice wrote: "Pop Art is my favorite in that collection and I am thrilled beyond belief that his next work is a book of four novellas."

Pop Art was loved by so many. I felt like I didn't get it.

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I didn't get Abraham's Boys: A Story from the Collection 20th Century Ghosts. I mean, I understood whose sons they were, but the story just didn't gel for me.

Pop Art was so sweet because it was mixed up in all that horror and it was a story you could share with anyone above 5 or so. I really loved it and so did all three of my children.

message 16: by Char (new)

Char Kandice wrote: "Pop Art is my favorite in that collection and I am thrilled beyond belief that his next work is a book of four novellas."

I read that too and I'm very excited about it!

message 17: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) Do you guys think I'd enjoy Joe Hill? I love King's older works, James Herbert, Adam Nevill, Ruby Jean-Jensen, and similar.

I tend not to pay attention to critics or the hype, so I'm wary.

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Wolfrott wrote: "Do you guys think I'd enjoy Joe Hill? I love King's older works, James Herbert, Adam Nevill, Ruby Jean-Jensen, and similar.

I tend not to pay attention to critics or the hype, so I'm wary."

Well I love Hill and also King and Herbert, so you might.

message 19: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) Kandice wrote: "Wolfrott wrote: "Do you guys think I'd enjoy Joe Hill? I love King's older works, James Herbert, Adam Nevill, Ruby Jean-Jensen, and similar.

I tend not to pay attention to critics or the hype, so ..."

Any titles you recommend?

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 52 comments Wolfrott wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Wolfrott wrote: "Do you guys think I'd enjoy Joe Hill? I love King's older works, James Herbert, Adam Nevill, Ruby Jean-Jensen, and similar.

I tend not to pay attention to critics ..."

The fan favourite seems to be NOS4A2, or NOS4R2 depending on where you are, but I really think that's one of his weaker ones.

My favourite is Horns but that's more of a coming of age story but as scary as Heart-Shaped box.

See which one your library has in

message 21: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) I can't visit my library, I'm bedridden, so its Kindle all the way.

I'll check out Horns, so thank you!

message 22: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (reeniebell) | 13 comments I hear that Joe Hill is touring the UK with his new book the Fireman (sounds good?) does anybody know how far north he's coming / has anyone been to a reading of his?

message 23: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Joe Hill is in Glasgow right now and in Edinburgh tonight @ 6.30 according to his Twitter feed.

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I found NOS4R2 his weakest as well, but my favorite is also Horns, so Jennifer and I seem to have that in common! I've read Horns 4 times now, so you know I like it. ;) In case it helps, here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

I saw Joe Hill in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. There's a picture on my profile page. It was actually my third time seeing him and I just love the guy!

message 25: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Excellent review of Horns, Kandice. I take it you were not that impressed with the movie.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 52 comments He's in Newcastle 1pm, York 4pm and Leeds 7.30pm tomorrow. All at Waterstones.

And Sheffield 1pm, Nottingham 4pm and Derby book festival 7pm on Saturday.

He didn't come to my city but my copy of The Fireman is signed. He must have signed extra for the other Waterstones to sell.

message 27: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I was so, so excited about the movie, especially after Radcliffe was confirmed, but then it turned out to be such a disappointment. I felt the book was so, so deeply spiritual and had such meaning and the movie was just...B Movie weird.

I’m sure part of that was that I run a RL Book/Movie club at the local library and really lobbied for this one since the book is one of my favorites. There are some very elderly members of our group and they universally hated the movie. Now they are less likely to take my suggestions to heart. O_o

message 28: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (reeniebell) | 13 comments Jennifer wrote: "He's in Newcastle 1pm, York 4pm and Leeds 7.30pm tomorrow. All at Waterstones.

And Sheffield 1pm, Nottingham 4pm and Derby book festival 7pm on Saturday.

He didn't come to my city but my copy of ..."

Kieron wrote: "Joe Hill is in Glasgow right now and in Edinburgh tonight @ 6.30 according to his Twitter feed."

Thanks so much, there's still hope for me, then!

message 29: by Kieron (new)

Kieron There are not many movies that live up to the books they are portraying. Not sure about Radcliffe as Ig. Although it's not as bad as Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

message 30: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments I haven't read Joe Hill yet.

message 31: by Diana (new)

Diana Radu | 8 comments Just finished "The Fireman"... Simply awesome!!! Totally recommend it!

message 32: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments I've only read Horns, but I wasn't impressed with his writing style. He's not his father.

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I absolutely love Horns, but couldn't really dig NOS4R2. I also think his short stories are phenomenal.

message 34: by Marjo (new)

Marjo Loyens (marjo56) | 3 comments Really liked A Heart Shaped Box and The Fireman. Loved NOS4R2. Didn't care too much for Horns.

message 35: by Kenneth (new)

I found Horns to be a mixed bag of nuts. I loved the beginning when Ig was using his horns for mischief. Then when it turned into a pathetic love story, I felt it went downhill fast. I thing Hill has got a great writing voice, but it's the direction he sometimes takes his stories that's left me scratching my head.

message 36: by Tom (new)

Tom | 17 comments That's so funny that there is the Horns camp and the NOS4A2 camp. I am in the Horns camp (much more original) although I gave NOS4A2 a good review. I read it before Horns. NOS4A2 was too King-y, if that makes sense, Horns had its own voice.

message 37: by Rick (new)

Rick (rook916) I loved both, so far all his books have not let me down!

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I thought Heart Shaped Box was just okay. Then I found a hardcover copy of Horns for 10 cents, so I bought it and read it with the same result. This author probably just isn't my cup of tea.

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (museoffire) Heart-Shaped Box continues to be my favorite but I'm also a huge, huge fan of the Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft series if anyone is into graphic novels. Totally amazing. They keep trying to turn into a television series or a movie.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of "Horns" or "NOS482" which I actually gave up on entirely. I think my favorite story in "20th Century Ghosts" is probably "The Cape" which was actually also turned into a pretty cool graphic novel (its expanded on a bit and given an actual ending, worth checking out). Its just a totally unexpected kind of story given what we associate with super hero powers and something as innocent sounding as getting the power of flight.

Here's my write up for "The Fireman" which I also wasn't so crazy about. Might be a bit spoilery...https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 40: by Tom (new)

Tom | 17 comments Doh! I read 4 of them Loved them, such an emotional rollercoaster. I can't believe I forgot to finish. Going to library today!

message 41: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments For a person who hasn't read Joe Hill yet which would be the best book to start with?

message 42: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Kellie wrote: "For a person who hasn't read Joe Hill yet which would be the best book to start with?"

I seem to be in the minority as a lover of Horns, but you can't go wrong with 20th Century Ghost, which is a collection of terrific short stories and a great introduction to his style.

message 43: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments Thanks Kandice! They both sound good to me.

message 44: by Kenneth (new)

I have 20th Century Ghost downloaded and on my TBR pile. I really need to jump into it.

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara (museoffire) Ken wrote: "I have 20th Century Ghost downloaded and on my TBR pile. I really need to jump into it."

It really is an ideal way to see if you like him. He pulls no punches in the short story format and he's never, ever obvious. Whatever you think he might be doing he's about to do the exact opposite. Makes for very nail biting reading.

message 46: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments I have 20th Century Ghost on my list to read.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Kellie wrote: "I have 20th Century Ghost on my list to read."

Read it! Even if you just insert one story between a few books you read, they are all worth it.

message 48: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments That good is it? I may give it a try!

message 49: by Dick (new)

Dick (dickolsnlivecom) | 8 comments Amanda wrote: "I am reading it right now. SO GOOD!"
Like yourself, I think that his writing speaks for itself . I started reading him before I knew that he was the son of my favorite all time author.
Looking for other opinions about the book. Hope you like it.

message 50: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments Kandice wrote: "Kellie wrote: "I have 20th Century Ghost on my list to read."

Read it! Even if you just insert one story between a few books you read, they are all worth it."

Thanks Kandice!

« previous 1