Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Awards > Are these awards??

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Winner of Silver Medal Award
National Category

- The book these are listed with DID win an 2016 Independent Publisher Book Award. The book won the silver metal for it's genre in the national category.

I am of the opinion that the author was trying to show which award they won but created the other categories by accident.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6798 comments Thanks. Deleted.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments *sigh* I wish that authors wouldn't be able to list awards, they (almost) always screw it up since the naming is not intuitive at all.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Thanks. Deleted."

Thank you!

message 5: by lethe (last edited Jun 03, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

lethe | 13747 comments I do think the remaining IPPY award should be corrected as well, though. The other books all have "for ... " listed: https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

ETA Oops, I see not all of them do. Aren't they correctly entered either?

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments lethe wrote: "*sigh* I wish that authors wouldn't be able to list awards, they (almost) always screw it up since the naming is not intuitive at all."

Agreed.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6798 comments lethe wrote: "*sigh* I wish that authors wouldn't be able to list awards, they (almost) always screw it up since the naming is not intuitive at all."

Ha! I deleted that part of my response. I have a somewhat continuing email with support over this issue.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Hee!

See my comment #5 though. I think even the remaining award is not complete.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments lethe wrote: "I do think the remaining IPPY award should be corrected as well, though. The other books all have "for ... " listed: https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...
..."

I see what you mean...

Is there a format for the medals? I want to say Elizabeth has a thread open about medals but not sure.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6798 comments lethe wrote: "I do think the remaining IPPY award should be corrected as well, though. The other books all have "for ... " listed: https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...
..."

Yes. My whole comment was that the IPPYs are a mess. I was working on them a few months back, but ran into burn out. Then I think another librarian did a lot of work, so I decided not to interfere. I really don't know what the status is now.

And, I asked in another thread if Silver and Bronze shouldn't be winners. Those are 2nd and 3rd place finishers. But others seem to have a different opinion, so I probably won't work on that award at all. It just goes against the grain for me to identify non-winners as winners. And I'm a volunteer so I can pick and choose. ;-)

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments So I suppose this would be the Silver Medal for Science Fiction? (Not sure where National Category would be mentioned.)

I always happily leave the awards to Elizabeth and the other librarians who like doing them :)

message 12: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "And, I asked in another thread if Silver and Bronze shouldn't be winners. Those are 2nd and 3rd place finishers. But others seem to have a different opinion, so I probably won't work on that award at all."

Ah, were those the IPPYs you were talking about?

I do agree with the others about Silver and Bronze Medalists being winners (analogous to the Zilveren Griffels in the Netherlands).

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6798 comments For that award, there are national awards and regional awards.

message 14: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "For that award, there are national awards and regional awards."

*runs away screaming*

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments OMG. I just tried to plug in some of the blanks for the IPPY and...I see why you burned out!!!

ANd I also see what you mean about the number of awardees

- There are 80 "National" (Main) winners
_There are the sub-categories of "regional" (which looks out of control) and "Ebook"
_And that's where I burned out, lol.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6798 comments I actually hadn't even gotten to the Metal Medals yet. I was working from oldest to newest and got almost all the way through 2004. There were, as I recall, 42 categories with a winner and two nominees. I forget where the Medals start - a couple of years later, I think.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Oh no! That's just impossible. :(

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6798 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Oh no! That's just impossible. :("

It is the earlier format, with a winner and 2 finishers, that causes me to believe the Silver and Bronze medals are not winners, but finishers.