Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Michael Connelly's "Blood Work"

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micah (new)

Micah (mikekaz) | 12 comments On the book page for Michael Connelly's "Blood Work" (ISBN 0446602620, ISBN13: 9780446602624) it says that this book is in the following series: Harry Bosch Universe #7, Terry McCaleb #1. I just finished this book as I'm working through the Harry Bosch books in order and, surprise, Detective Bosch makes no appearance in this book whatsoever.

I believe this book should be removed from the Harry Bosch series and the remaining books in the series be correctly re-sequenced.

OTOH, I did discover yet another wonderful series by Connelly to get sucked into.

TIA for any help in this...

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Jun 03, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1757 comments The Harry Bosch series you're mentioning is the Harry Bosch Universe series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/1777...

That series comprises several series all set in the same world featuring several different main characters. That series should not be changed or removed from this book as the characters do cross over in other books which is why the universe series also contains the Terry McCaleb books. In this particular book, Bosch does not appear, but there is crossover later.

Blood Work is not on the standalone Harry Bosch series page, so everything is correct as is.

If you want just the Harry Bosch books, you should follow this series page.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4076...

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1757 comments Also, maybe someone should update the book titles to list the individual series name and numbering? That way the individual series pages would be more correct.

It seems odd to me that the series name and number in the titles is the Universe series rather than the individual ones which is what I usually see with Universe series.

But that's something I don't presently have time to do.

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Why are The Fifth Witness and The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller series #5 and #6), as well as The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy #2) omitted from the Harry Bosch Universe series?

Would updating the book titles also push those updates to the indiviual editions as well so that the series info would display on shelves? I have a shelf with Michael Connelly books, and the series info is extremely inconsistent, at least for the editions I have on my shelf - some have only the HBU series number, some have only the individual character series number, a few have both, some even say "Harry Bosch World" which presumably is an error (?).

Also, I understand the reasoning behind the "recommended" reading order, but for one, it's fairly subjective in this case (the Series Order page on the author's web site is by publication date) and in general, it seems to create problems and/or confusion when series are ordered by something other than publication date. It's not like the re-numbering for this series is chronological due to a book being published as a prequel to an earlier book in the series. But even that, while at least objective, isn't ideal either. For example, the Mitch Rapp series had two prequels written after the first 11 books in the series. The prequels came first and second chronologically, so the series was renumbered. The problem is that in the list of editions for almost any of those books, there are some editions that say "Mitch Rapp, #[n]" and some that say "Mitch Rapp, #[n-2]". For example:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

In any case, if the series info can be easily updated in the titles for all editions, rather than having to do that one by one for each edition, then it's less of an issue. Otherwise, it seems like numbering series in a manner that could potentially result in the order changing later doesn't seem like the best way.

message 5: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Jeff wrote: "The problem is that in the list of editions for almost any of those books, there are some editions that say "Mitch Rapp, #[n]" and some that say "Mitch Rapp, #[n-2]"

The most likely explanation for that is that the series has been renumbered by the publishers, either on republication of new editions or in different countries. It's actually pretty common for UK/US editions to be renumbered or released in a different order (and even more common when the books are translations, but that doesn't necessarily apply here).

Ideally there'd be another series listed, with the alternate ordering, but librarians are volunteers, and unless someone maintains it, those kinds of series get routinely wiped out by people who don't know why it's there (and don't bother to investigate). But when it's the publisher who has renumbered like this, those specific editions would still have the correct-for-that-edition numbering in their title, even if it differs from the publication order.

The next most likely reason this happens is when well into (or after the completion of) a long running series, the author provides a preferred reading order that differs from the publication order.

In this case, it's even worse, because Vince Flynn's site provides two different orders: Chronological and Publication, and Consent to Kill is book 8 in one and 9 in the other. So assuming there's a publisher reason it being #6 (it's for sale as #6 on both B&N and Amazon, as well as being for sale as #8 too!), we're looking at maintaining three different series, and as I mentioned, possibly well meaning but ignorant other librarians tend to wipe those out (and who wants to keep re-doing work that other people will just delete?). So while that'd be the ideal, it just doesn't happen much.

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments It was #6 in the publication order and later became #8 chronologically after the two prequels. My only guess for how it could be #9 would be including Term Limits, which doesn't feature Mitch Rapp but does include a number of other characters in the series.

On Amazon I see a separate series for the two prequel novels, so the other books are numbered in the publication order (which is also the chronological order).

Regardless, I didn't think there was only one permissible way to number them, i.e. according to whatever a publisher says, particularly for a series such as "Harry Bosch Universe". I don't even recall seeing that until very recently, so I just thought it was something created within goodreads. Chronologically is certainly a sensible way to number series, or if a "recommended" reading order is in fact something the author or publisher created, then that would certainly be sensible as well. As you pointed out, different sites number series differently, so I didn't think there was only one "official" way to do it.

However if maintaining them when they are re-numbered is so cumbersome, that seems like a reason just to stick with publication order.

As far as a "correct-for-that-edition" number, if a book is renumbered from #6 to #8 (or whatever), I would think that all editions be updated with the new numbering. Again, I don't know whether there is an automated process to do that, or if it has to be done individually for each edition.

message 7: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments No, GR policy is that books retain the correct-for-that-edition number at the time they were published, even if later editions change that (and then end up with different numbering or names.)

Which is good in some ways because series information is not automated in the slightest: Changing it (or indeed, creating it) means a librarian would have to edit every single edition, every time.

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments If the lack of automation is the reason, then that's understandable. But given that the Title info that displays in the shelf view is edition-specific, that can be very confusing. I could have some editions from before a renumbering, and some from after, so looking through a shelf with books from a series I can't really tell the series order. Even more of an argument to simply number all series by publication order.

Still wondering about my original question - does anyone know why those other books are not included in the "Harry Bosch Universe" series?