Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 18

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1313 comments Today's prompt is a book that disappointed you. I don't know if my expectations are low or if I'm just easy to please, but there aren't very many books that disappoint me.

I'm choosing Atlantia by Ally Condie. And, I'm very reluctant to share this because Ally and I are acquaintances. But, it's the only book that's really coming to mind.

I do want to say that I really enjoyed the story of Atlantia and I liked the world that Ally created. It was very intriguing. I even loved Ally's writing. It's always so poetic and beautiful. But, I was disappointed because I didn't feel like the story was fleshed out enough. The characters were underdeveloped and the story was too short. I also thought the ending was rushed and vague. It left too many unanswered questions. If the characters had been more developed and the book were a little longer, I think this could've been a fantastic story.

What book disappointed you?

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Haven't finished it yet, but my current read Water for Elephants is disappointing me. I'm thinking my expectations were set too high- and I don't really like circus-related things. I'm about 80% through now, maybe the last 20% will turn things around?

message 3: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 836 comments I was disappointed with Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values. I enjoy philosophy in general, reading and discussing, and I had it in my head that this book would be very enlightening, but I didn't find it to be. For a book about Zen it felt like it had a lot of ego in it. And lots and lots of words about 'gumption' and 'quality.'

message 4: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments All the Light We Cannot See. It was good but definetly a question of too high expectations because so many people raved about it.

message 5: by ScoLgo (new)

ScoLgo | 30 comments The Art of Racing in the Rain came highly recommended by an IRL friend but it didn't work for me.

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn L | 87 comments For me The Outsiders and A Separate Peace were books I just couldn't finish. I know everyone here likely loved these books but to me I just grew annoyed with the characters.

message 7: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4983 comments One of my biggest disappointments: Inkheart. I felt the premise was fantastic, the execution very poor.

Also felt way disappointed by Eragon - that taught me to not buy pretty looking books.

message 8: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I would have to say that A Feast for Crows was really disappointing. Partly because A Storm of Swords was so excellent, that it was a hard act to follow. However, there were several new story lines that were introduced and several main (popular) characters that were MIA which was a major point of disappointment.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Sarah's Key is a recent disappointment. I'm not holding on to a grudge or anything, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype for me.

message 10: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8340 comments Without shelfari's beautiful statistics to check (which would be helpful for me for this question), off the top of my head, I'm going to say Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.

It ended up "ok" for me, but that's it.

I have many others where my expectations were high and I rated them 3.5 (good), but Life After Life only got 3 stars (ok) from me.

message 11: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Kimber wrote: "I was disappointed with Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values. I enjoy philosophy in general, reading and discussing, and I had it in my head that this book w..."

I'm right with you on this one.

message 12: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Susie wrote: "Sarah's Key is a recent disappointment. I'm not holding on to a grudge or anything, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype for me."

Very disappointing for me as well.

message 13: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Susie wrote: "Sarah's Key is a recent disappointment. I'm not holding on to a grudge or anything, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype for me."

Agree 100%

message 14: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jhumpa Lahiri's recent book In Other Words was a big disappointment. I'm a fan of her books and her writing style but this nonfiction book about her attempts to learn Italian and then write a novel in that language seems very self centered and I did not find it engaging at all.

message 15: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4983 comments Linda S wrote: "Jhumpa Lahiri's recent book In Other Words was a big disappointment. I'm a fan of her books and her writing style but this nonfiction book about her attempts to learn Italian and th..."

You've reminded me that i was also disappointed with her Interpreter of Maladies after all the hype.

message 16: by Marti (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

Marti (coloreader) | 84 comments The Goldfinch. Did not care for it at all. Oh, and Go Set A Watchman was disappointing as well.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Agree with Go Set a Watchman though friends who are older than me said that was the way it was in the '60s in the South.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8533 comments I also didn't care for Life after Life. But it's hard when endings are a disappointment to a great read. Euphoria by Lily King comes to mind. Disappointing ending to a series? Of course, Allegiant comes to mind. Look at me pulling out a YA title.... Just in case you thought me too high brow....