The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

91 views
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Lauren Jodi's task: The Queen of Crime

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 03, 2016 04:59PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10801 comments Mod
20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Lauren Jodi's task: The Queen of Crime

In 2015, the Agatha Christie Society celebrated the 125th Anniversary of the author's birth. As one of the most prolific mystery writers of the 20th century, Dame Agatha Christie penned 66 detective novels, 14 short story collections, 6 romance and 4 works of non-fiction. Her books have been adapted for radio, film, television, video games and comics.

In honor of this magnificent first lady of crime, read ONE book from the option of your choice.

REQUIRED: State the option you chose when posting.

Option 1: A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED
One of Agatha Christie’s most well known female detectives is the quirky busy-body, Miss Jane Marple. Living in the small village of St. Mary’s Mead, Miss Marple is exposed to a microcosm of life revealing the best and worst of human nature. Appearing in 12 novels and 20 short stories, Miss Marple typifies the amateur detective common to the sub-genre of Cozy Mysteries.

Read a book from the Best Cozy Mystery Series Listopia. Be careful as it is possible that some of the books do not meet the SRC rules.
Required: State which page of the list the book can be found on when you post.

Option 2: DEATH ON THE NILE
In addition to writing, Agatha Christie had a lifelong interest in archeology and she accompanied her second husband, Sir Max Mallowen, on numerous excavations in Egypt, Syria and Iraq. These expeditions were incorporated into several of her books.

Read a book with the main page genre of “archeology". The genre can be stand-alone or embedded.

Option 3: AND THEN THERE WERE NONE
With 100 million copies sold worldwide, Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None” is not only the best selling crime novel of all time, but also has the highest body count and most innovative modes of murder of all her stories.

Read a novel (fiction) featuring a serial killer.
Required: Please explain how your book choice fits the task if it is not clear in the Goodreads description.


message 3: by Lauren (last edited Jun 08, 2016 11:56AM) (new)


message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10801 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Trish (last edited Jun 03, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Ooh. Nice task.

Could I genre lock Come, Tell Me How You Live, by the lady herself, for archeology for Option 2. It currently has Anthropology > Archeology 5 users - but that number is small enough that it might disappear.


message 6: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments For Option 3, Serial Killer:

Play Dead (D.I. Kim Stone #4) by Angela Marsons

There's a serial killer in there


message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 628 comments I'd like clarification on option 1. If the book is on the list, does it qualify even if it doesn't have a main page genre of 'cozy mystery'? (e.g. Journey to Munich)

Will this work for option 3? Most Wanted

Thank you.


message 8: by Sheila (last edited Jun 03, 2016 07:19PM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments For option 3 would you consider a professional hit man as a serial killer? I'm wanting to read The Twelfth Card

If that doesn't work how about the write up of this one. The Cold Moon


message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Trish wrote: "Ooh. Nice task.

Could I genre lock Come, Tell Me How You Live, by the lady herself, for archeology for Option 2. It currently has Anthropology > Archeology 5 users - but that numb..."


Confirmed


message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 3, Serial Killer:

Play Dead (D.I. Kim Stone #4) by Angela Marsons

There's a serial killer in there"


Confirmed
Looks like a good series


message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Kim wrote: "I'd like clarification on option 1. If the book is on the list, does it qualify even if it doesn't have a main page genre of 'cozy mystery'? (e.g. Journey to Munich)

Will this work..."


Yes. As long as it is on the list and meets SRC criteria, you are good to go.

Most Wanted is confirmed for serial killer. Enjoy!


message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Sheila wrote: "For option 3 would you consider a professional hit man as a serial killer? I'm wanting to read The Twelfth Card

Sorry Sheila. A professional hitman is not a serial killer.

The Cold Moon is confirmed. Any killer called "The Watchman" is clearly a serial! Enjoy!


message 13: by Trish (last edited Jun 04, 2016 01:29AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Lauren wrote: "Trish wrote: "Ooh. Nice task.

Could I genre lock Come, Tell Me How You Live, by the lady herself, for archeology for Option 2.

Confirmed"


Thank you.

BTW, for going the serial killer route, I'm guessing any of the Dexter books would work. Given the main character is, in fact, a serial killer? https://www.goodreads.com/series/4492...


message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Trish wrote: "BTW, for going the serial killer route, I'm guessing any of the Dexter books would work. Given the main character is, in fact, a serial killer? https://www.goodreads.com/series/4492... ."

Yes. Any Dexter book would work.


message 15: by Catie (new)

Catie | 193 comments Would you please confirm "Archaeology" for Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town? It only has three users at the moment!

(Given that I am an archaeologist, I am a little spoilt for choice in terms of my options for this challenge, but I've been wanting to pick up some Mary Beard for ages!)


message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Catie wrote: "Would you please confirm "Archaeology" for Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town? It only has three users at the moment! ."

Confirmed and can I just say that archeology is such a cool profession :0)


message 17: by Christi (last edited Jun 04, 2016 04:55AM) (new)

Christi Reynard | 370 comments Will this work for "archaeology"?
Crocodile on the Sandbank

While it doesn't have archaeology listed on the genre, the description points that way...


message 18: by Lauren (last edited Jun 04, 2016 05:05AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Christi wrote: "Will this work for "archaeology"?
Crocodile on the Sandbank

While it doesn't have archaeology listed on the genre, the description points that way..."


Sorry but no. Option 2 must have "archeology" as a main page genre.

That said, Crocodile on the Sandbank is on the Cozy Mystery listopia so it will work for Option 1


message 19: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3372 comments I think this one works but to be sure Evil at Heart..
Gretchen Lowell must be the weirdest person I can imagine. I'm glad she is not real


message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Andy wrote: "I think this one works but to be sure Evil at Heart..
Gretchen Lowell must be the weirdest person I can imagine. I'm glad she is not real"


Yes that works.
I've heard so much about this series. I need to give it a try.


message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (shiraloo) | 202 comments This is a longshot for serial killer, but would Dark Places by Gillian Flynn work? Apparently, it's about a serial killer that has been arrested and then the book explores whether he's guilty or not.


message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Shiraloo wrote: "This is a longshot for serial killer, but would Dark Places by Gillian Flynn work? Apparently, it's about a serial killer that has been arrested and then the book explores whether he..."

Unfortunately no. From the description, the murder of Libby's family is perpetrated either by her brother or as part of some sort of cult. Neither is a serial killer.


message 23: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3372 comments Lauren wrote: "Andy wrote: "I think this one works but to be sure Evil at Heart..
Gretchen Lowell must be the weirdest person I can imagine. I'm glad she is not real"

Yes that works.
I've heard s..."

Thanks,
Andy


message 24: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1325 comments Can I have Déjà Dead approved for Option 3 with Serial Killers.

I had to go to Amazon to find out more detail since the majority of Goodreads reviews are comparing the books to the TV series.

http://www.amazon.com/Deja-Dead-Novel...

Under Editorial Reviews the first review by From Library Journal

It's clear to Tempe that the remains of several women killed and savagely mutilated point to a sadistic serial killer, but she can't convince the police.


message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Deborah wrote: "Can I have Déjà Dead approved for Option 3 with Serial Killers."

Confirmed.


message 26: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 370 comments I'm having a little trouble finding fiction with "archaeology" as the genre.
I think this one has it embedded?
The Alexander Cipher


message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Christi wrote: "I'm having a little trouble finding fiction with "archaeology" as the genre.
I think this one has it embedded?
The Alexander Cipher"


Sorry Christi, but it doesn't have "archaeology" in any of its spellings on the main page.


message 28: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments Will Kingdom of Strangers work for Opt 3?


message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments KSMary wrote: "Will Kingdom of Strangers work for Opt 3?"

Yes.


message 30: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 370 comments Sorry to keep throwing titles at you...

Will The Exodus Quest work for Option 2?


message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Regarding serial killer option -

The Burning Plain

I just finished the book. The description mentions

Rios goes from prime suspect to target when more gay men are savagely murdered. The victims all suffer the same fate: They’re beaten to death, with a hate message carved into their bodies, and they’re dumped in an alley.

The killer isn't actually a serial killer but for a time the police think it is, "The Invisible Man" killer he's named.

The book actually mentions Agatha Christie's The A.B.C. Murders since this book's killer has done the same thing, to cover up his primary killing he commits others to make it look like a serial killer

Sorry I'm mangling a bit but will that work? a non serial killer making it look like he is a serial killer to make it look like someone else did it?


message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Christi wrote: "Sorry to keep throwing titles at you...

Will The Exodus Quest work for Option 2?"


Confirmed that "Archeology" appears as a main page genre


message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Jamie wrote: "Regarding serial killer option -

The Burning Plain"


Sorry but the story must be about a serial killer. If the perpetrator turns out not to be one then the book doesn't work.


message 34: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Lauren wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Regarding serial killer option -

The Burning Plain"

Sorry but the story must be about a serial killer. If the perpetrator turns out not to be one then the book does..."


Well he kills 3 people in the style of a serial killer, although the 2nd ones were to hide the motive in the first one.

So he sort of is, and the media treats him as one, and the killer's plan is based on an Agatha Christie plot :-)

But if that doesn't work that's fine, just figured I'd try :-)


message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Jamie wrote: "But if that doesn't work that's fine, just figured I'd try :-) "

Doesn't hurt to try :0)
I just think that to keep with the spirit of the task, it should be an actual serial killer.


message 36: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 370 comments Lauren wrote: "Christi wrote: "Sorry to keep throwing titles at you...

Will The Exodus Quest work for Option 2?"

Confirmed that "Archeology" appears as a main page genre"


HOORAY!!!


message 37: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Request for approval for Option 3 please

A Murder in Time (Kendra Donovan, #1) by Julie McElwain
From GR Description:
"Yet her path to professional success hits a speed bump during a disastrous raid where half her team is murdered"

Additionally, from Amazon Description:
"When brilliant FBI agent Kendra Donovan stumbles back in time and finds herself in a 19th century English castle under threat from a vicious serial killer..."

Just found this book on the library's "Big Library Read" so hoping it works! Thanks in advance.


message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Tara Jo wrote: "Request for approval for Option 3 please

A Murder in Time (Kendra Donovan, #1) by Julie McElwain
From GR Description:
"Yet her path to professional success hits a speed bump during a disastrous raid where half her ..."


Approved


message 39: by Gabriella (last edited Jul 04, 2016 05:55PM) (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments For option 3, would a play work or only prose?
I have this book: O Bem-Amado, a play that features Zeca Diabo, a character who killed more than a hundred people. He's hired by the mayor, Odorico Paraguaçu, due to his fame, to kill someone of the fictional town of Sucupira. He's not a hitman, though.


message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Gabriella wrote: "For option 3, would a play work or only prose?
I have this book: O Bem-Amado, a play that features Zeca Diabo, a character who killed more than a hundred people. He's hired by the m..."


While a play would work, this particular one does not fit. The character is not a serial killer, but sounds like he's got something to do with organized crime. Moreover, in this particular story, he is a hitman if he was hired to kill someone by the mayor.

A serial killer murders according to a pattern and the number of victims is irrelevant.

This doesn't work. Sorry.


back to top