The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Final Empire question

World of Mistborn
Rahul Dutta Rahul Jun 03, 2016 09:37AM
I have just started reading 'Mistborn-The Final Empire' and I am currently in the third chapter. I am having a hard time imagining the world. My queries are:
Is it a fantasy world as in Harry Potter?
Is it a medieval setting or more like steampunk?

Thanks a lot for all your clarifications. Now I do have a clearer idea about the world setting and it tends more towards the Renaissance era. I have completed the first book of the mistborn trilogy and looking forward to reading the next book.

The first three Mistborn books are more along the epic / high fantasy lines with a medieval / renaissance setting.

The 2nd trilogy, as Rene said above, is more of a steam-punk setting, taking place long after the conclusion of the first trilogy.

Its really a great story!

No its nothing like the world of HP since HP takes place on earth. Mistborn takes place on Scadrial. A fictional planet in the Cosmere.
Most of Brandon Sanderson's adult fantasy stories take place in the Cosmere.

The first thee Mistborn books (era 1) are Epic Fantasy. So yes, kinda medival.
The second set (era 2) take place in a steampunk setting. 300 years after book 3.

Sanderson is planning to write even more Era's:
Era 3 - taking place in a 1980's setting
Era 4 - Space Opera!

Hope this all helps :)

Becky how do you always know so much? you are like my walking, typing book encyclopaedia!
Jun 03, 2016 01:21PM · flag
Renée Hehe I google a lot! Usually when I've finished a Book and I can't stop thinking about it, I start googling it. For more material/info about the Book. ...more
Jun 03, 2016 11:38PM · flag

It's High Fantasy! Meaning it takes place in a world completely made up.

HP takes place in the "real world". One with people and places that we can recognize.

High Fantasy is like... Lord of the Rings, Eragon, The Name of the Wind, etc.

I always imagined it as medieval myself, but I suppose it could be slightly more steampunk than I originally thought.

Just keep reading! It gets sooooooo good!!

It's more Renaissance than medieval. The more steampunk-ish elements don't come into play until the second series, which takes place 300 years later and also includes some settings reminiscent of the Wild West.

Also, in The Final Empire, the world itself doesn't look very much like Earth. All of the plants are brown or yellow, like they're dying (even though they aren't really), and the sky is always overcast because of a bunch of volcanoes around the planet that constantly stream ash out into the atmosphere. The ash falls like rain or snow pretty constantly. The books themselves will explain more about what's going on, so that is all I need say on the subject.

Despite the oddities, it is overall quite a bit less alien than Roshar, another planet in the same galaxy. You can read all about that in The Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance--more volumes forthcoming).