Star Wars Reads Panel discussion

Star Wars Legends

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brevin (new)

Brevin | 4 comments All the books in legends lets talk about them

message 2: by Kian.R (new)

Kian.R I like the legend about the force world.

message 3: by Ashwin (new)

Ashwin | 1 comments I like the legend of the force world too!

message 4: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments I am currently reading the Fate of the Jedi series, I am currently on "Ascension." One of my favorite things about this series has been the relationship between Luke and Ben, and despite feeling the irritation along with them at her many betrayals, I am enjoying how things are going now with Vestara. Those three have me eagerly consuming book after book, unable to wait for the next one. My fear now is that I am reaching the end. I believe the next book, "Apocalypse," is the last in the series, and quite possibly the end of the story of Luke Skywalker and all the various other characters I have been getting to know since childhood. I really want to read it, but I do not want the story to end.

message 5: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Coffelt | 19 comments Crucible is the last book chronologically before the Disney reboot of the books, so you have at least one more with Luke!

message 6: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments Really? That's awesome thanks!!

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments I refuse to say "Legends" instead of "Expanded Universe." To do so is to SPIT in the eye of ALL first generation STAR WARS geeks the wold over.

message 8: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments I agree, calling it "Legends" (at least in my opinion) suggests that they are stories that never took place in the Star Wars universe. Since I personally choose to continue seeing these stories as canon, they remain the "Expanded Universe" to me.

However, other fans old and new might choose to embrace the "new canon" as introduced by the new boss, and regard everything else as non-canon. What we find outrageous is another's cup of tea.

It's kind of like how someone of the Jewish persuasion believes in God but the part about Jesus being a messiah is non-canon. I am an EU...ist... so I will call it EU, but I won't hate you if you want to call it Legends.

message 9: by Amber (last edited Mar 23, 2017 10:59AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments I don't hate them for it. Francisco...I just happen to think they're as delusional as the Trump White House is about the approval #s for Trumpcare.

message 10: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments Well, that's pretty delusional, isn't that a little harsh? :)

What specifically are they being delusional about?

message 11: by Amber (last edited Mar 23, 2017 11:14AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments That the new canon is BETTER than the Expanded Universe. It isn't, nor is it any WORSE. Both have books that are worth reading and they both also contain books that I personally wouldn't even use for fireplace kindling (*cough cough*anything by Karen Traviss(ty) or REVAN*cough cough*)

message 12: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments Haha I see what you mean, that would be an unfortunate stance for someone to take, they would be really missing out.
Though I am sure not everyone who decides to call the EU books "Legends" thinks that they are lesser stories or not worth exploring.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Of course not. But there are probably enough of that type to give the rest of them a bad name, Francisco.

message 14: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments That's too bad. You might be right, I am not sure. The only people I've met so far who are into the new canon have been little kids who haven't really known anything else.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Hicks (jamiehicks73) | 31 comments I'm stuck on pre-Force Awakens books personally. I am still working my way through them. I have yet to read anything new since Disney took over. I am willing however to judge each story by it's own merits and just enjoy a good tale. In my opinion, anything outside of the movies is all "Expanded Universe".

message 16: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments I haven't read any of the new Disney stuff either. I went to see the Force Awakens movie intending to look at it as an "alternate universe" type of story, and I enjoyed Rey, Finn, and especially Poe. For some reason though I was profoundly affected by the death in the movie ( I assume you know about it by now but just in case). I feel like I am one of the only people who was really strongly impacted by it, but for some reason I just can't handle it.

Maybe because of how it happened, how it was treated, or my love of the character, or maybe because he reminds me a little of my dad, I don't know. I just sat there gaping in shock and horror for the rest of the movie and haven't been tempted to delve further into the story since.

message 17: by Amber (last edited Mar 24, 2017 10:56AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Francisco wrote: "That's too bad. You might be right, I am not sure. The only people I've met so far who are into the new canon have been little kids who haven't really known anything else."

Good point.

Re: "I feel like I am one of the only people who was really strongly impacted by it, but for some reason I just can't handle it. "

My church, St. Paul's UCC here in Belleville, IL., had a STAR WARS themed Bible study/movie marathon back in '15. I and 109 others from church paid a special rate of $6 or $10 (forgot the exact price) for a ticket the Episode VII. When Kylo Ren killed the one major character from the OT to die in VII, every one of us, including Pastors Josh and Drew; just sat there...jaws to the floor thinking some variation on "Holy (bleeping) Hell! Did what I think just happened happen?!"

message 18: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments Wow, it's nice to hear I wasn't the only one who was so shocked! and watching Star Wars with your church sure sounds like a unique experience!

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Yeah. It's denominations like the UCC (United Church of Christ) that don't dismiss STAR WARS as being "of the Devil," compared to some more CONservative Jesus Thief members of other, larger and more traditional, denominations like the Church of Rome or the Mormons... .

message 20: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments When Luke Skywalker was cautious about his students going to worlds with extremely powerful Dark Side energies because he was afraid of his students being corrupted, I could understand that. The dark side can actually become an entity that will intentionally reach out and try to twist a Jedi's mind. Even so, he had faith in most of his students' ability to reject those dark energies.

When certain religious groups forbid their members from being exposed to fantasy or other viewpoints it just seems paranoid and controlling.
If the religion makes sense to someone I am sure they won't reject it simply because they also enjoy indulging their imaginations and pretending to wield the Force or magical powers, or just want to enjoy a good story.

message 21: by Amber (last edited Mar 25, 2017 09:44AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Of course it's paranoid and controlling.

"If the religion makes sense to someone I am sure they won't reject it simply because they also enjoy indulging their imaginations and pretending to wield the Force or magical powers, or just want to enjoy a good story" only applies if the person in ? has some common sense, which despite the name, really isn't THAT common...at least not anymore.

message 22: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments I guess you're right, and it's pretty sad. Unfortunate also that many others will judge the religion as a whole harshly based on their experiences with people who act like that.

message 23: by Amber (last edited Aug 03, 2019 02:18PM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Karrin Murphy, a character in the Jim Butcher series The Dresden Files, said this about religion (paraphrasing) that since a religion is made up of people "every religion has its assholes."

Not that Christianity has more assholes in it than any other religion. It probably doesn't, but since Christianity's assholes are much more visible than the assholes in say, Judaism, it just seems like Christianity has more assholes, per capita, than other religions.

message 24: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments There's some bad apples in every bunch for sure. Kind of goes back to what we were saying about people who run around claiming that the EU is not worth reading giving the new-canon fans a bad name.

message 25: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Coffelt | 19 comments And those people may have just read the worst of the EU, and sadly there are a lot of books that fit that bill. It may have turned them off of it and that is all they know. If that was all I read, I would hate it too lol.

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Good points, Francisco/Timothy. So would I.

message 27: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Hobbick (chobbick) Hey guys I don't know how many of you read the Star Wars Empires End book. But I finally got excited because there was some old Star Wars game stuff in that book that connected to Star Wars the Force Awaken. Get ready for a ramble folks. Here is some older game and book background on the end of the book. Please read all of it or you will not understand. If guys catches on to the last part, the first order finds this eclipse class dreadnaught Star Destroyer. Now to get how big the Eclipse is. It is 2 times longer than Darth Vader personal Super star destroyer. The Eclipse was going to be te Emperor's personal flagship. It was being built in the shipyards of Kuat right around when the 1st Death Star was destroyed. This Pirate Tyber Zann searched the wreckage for data pods which are launched the minute a disaster happens of an major explosion happens. So he stumbles on this Eclipse Flagship design. It doesn't tell him where it is just the design. So he breaks into the Emperor's archives and retrieves the data which tells him it's located at the Kuat shipyards. When Tyber Zann gets there. The 2nd Death Star was destroyed. Tyber Zann wanted to test his new toy. But he could not since there were 3 heavily armed supersize space stations. So he baits the rebellion and gets them to take out the space stations while he gets on board the Eclipse to take control of its reactor firing weapon. The Eclipse practically had a mini Death Star on it. He gets it fired up and destroyed the space stations as well as the rebellion fleet. However the real test began when another Sunper Star Destroyer jumped in. He destroyed it instantly with one shot of the Reactor. The Eclipse was only half complete when Tyber Zann captured it. After the battle of th Eclipse Tyber Zann steals extreamly deadly weapons and billions of credits from the Eclipse. The video game Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption is the only reference until now of the Eclipse. The game did not say if Tyber Zann took the Eclipse somewhere or even finished it or even salvaged powerful weapon from the battle. However all weapons were built when Tyber Zahn captured it. The Eclipse is 17,500 meters long, maximum exceleration is 940 G and equipped with 1 super laser(reactor), 550 heavy laser cannons, 550 turbo laser, 10 gravity well generators, 100 tractor beams, and 75 ion cannons. It has a crew of 708,000 people, 4,175 gunners, and 150,000 passengers. If the Emperor or anyone finished the Eclipse there would have to be a heck of a fight to stop it. So if the First Order got the Eclipse and repaired it that's the main fleet of the first order. Who says the First Order has to have a base. That Eclipse is the base. That is also where probably Snoke is at. The books are the fillers on the plot holes of the movies. Movie fans don't really understand the new movies without reading the books. The Eclipse may be in the Force Awaken the second movie of maybe even mentioned. They might mention a great battle and the Republic lost a lot of ships. Look hard in the next movie. The observatories that are mentioned in the Unknown Regions are where the Chiss are at as you can remember Thrawn sent Eli Vanto as a representative of the Empire. Also in the older books the Empire was highly involved with the outer regions. The darkside users are the lost tribes of the Sith but are more likely the remains of the Acolytes in Palpatines Archives. Tyber Zann encountered them and mentioned they haven't faced a worthy opponent in a long time. The Emperor also had Force trained assasins like Mara Jade. But remember Disney will not use older characters like Thrawn in the Movies. In the books Thrawn was the remaining Leader of the Empire after the Emperor died and the remaining Grand Admirals were killed by the rebellion. Thrawn was not known as a Grand Admiral because his promotion was a secret that is mentioned by Mara Jade. But however the book also mentioned that after the Empire Surrendered which is around 15 years after Thrawn Downfall that the First Order was the rest that didn't surrender. Pealleon was in charge however of a region given to the Empire by the Republic to honor their treaty. But Disney said they would not use the Old Books for the plot of the movies and mostly the new books. So that's your Empire background of the book. I have read a lot of info on the Old Star Wars so I know what I'm talking about just if your wondering. If you have any questions please ask. There's nothing I love better than talking about Star Wars to someone's who loves it to.

P.S: I like to ramble about Star Wars. Mostly how Disney got it wrong. If you didn't notice people who read the old Star Wars books know what's going on in the movies and in the new books. If you read the books and play the games you will know almost know everything that's going on in Star Wars whether it doesn't or does include the old books, games, and movies.

-Caleb Hobbick

message 28: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments Long paragraphs are extremely hard to read, Caleb. Could you please break that up into several smaller paragraphs?

message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments I was gonna ask the same thing, Alex.

message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments The post is one huge text block, except for the P.S. Hard to read, this is, as my favorite Jedi Master would say.

message 31: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Hobbick (chobbick) Alrighty

message 32: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Hobbick (chobbick) Hey guys I don't know how many of you read the Star Wars

Empires End book. But I finally got excited because there was some

old Star Wars game stuff in that book that connected to Star Wars

the Force Awaken. Get ready for a ramble folks. Here is some older

game and book background on the end of the book. Please read all

of it or you will not understand. If guys catches on to the last part,

the first order finds this eclipse class dreadnaught Star Destroyer.

Now to get how big the Eclipse is. It is 2 times longer than Darth

Vader personal Super star destroyer. The Eclipse was going to be te

Emperor's personal flagship. It was being built in the shipyards of

Kuat right around when the 1st Death Star was destroyed. This

Pirate Tyber Zann searched the wreckage for data pods which are

launched the minute a disaster happens of an major explosion

happens. So he stumbles on this Eclipse Flagship design. It doesn't

tell him where it is just the design. So he breaks into the Emperor's

archives and retrieves the data which tells him it's located at the

Kuat shipyards. When Tyber Zann gets there. The 2nd Death Star

was destroyed. Tyber Zann wanted to test his new toy. But he

could not since there were 3 heavily armed supersize space

stations. So he baits the rebellion and gets them to take out the

space stations while he gets on board the Eclipse to take control of

its reactor firing weapon. The Eclipse practically had a mini Death

Star on it. He gets it fired up and destroyed the space stations as

well as the rebellion fleet. However the real test began when

another Sunper Star Destroyer jumped in. He destroyed it instantly

with one shot of the Reactor. The Eclipse was only half complete

when Tyber Zann captured it. After the battle of th Eclipse Tyber

Zann steals extreamly deadly weapons and billions of credits from

the Eclipse. The video game Star Wars Empire at War Forces of

Corruption is the only reference until now of the Eclipse. The game

did not say if Tyber Zann took the Eclipse somewhere or even

finished it or even salvaged powerful weapon from the battle.

However all weapons were built when Tyber Zahn captured it. The

Eclipse is 17,500 meters long, maximum exceleration is 940 G and

equipped with 1 super laser(reactor), 550 heavy laser cannons, 550

turbo laser, 10 gravity well generators, 100 tractor beams, and 75

ion cannons. It has a crew of 708,000 people, 4,175 gunners, and

150,000 passengers. If the Emperor or anyone finished the Eclipse

there would have to be a heck of a fight to stop it. So if the First

Order got the Eclipse and repaired it that's the main fleet of the

first order. Who says the First Order has to have a base. That

Eclipse is the base. That is also where probably Snoke is at. The

books are the fillers on the plot holes of the movies. Movie fans

don't really understand the new movies without reading the books.

The Eclipse may be in the Force Awaken the second movie of

maybe even mentioned. They might mention a great battle and the

Republic lost a lot of ships. Look hard in the next movie. The

observatories that are mentioned in the Unknown Regions are

where the Chiss are at as you can remember Thrawn sent Eli Vanto

as a representative of the Empire. Also in the older books the

Empire was highly involved with the outer regions. The dark side

users in the book are are the lost tribes of the Sith but are more likely the remains

of the Acolytes in Palpatines Archives. Tyber Zann encountered

them and mentioned they haven't faced a worthy opponent in a

long time. The Emperor also had Force trained assasins like Mara

Jade. But remember Disney will not use older characters like

Thrawn in the Movies. In the books Thrawn was the remaining

Leader of the Empire after the Emperor died and the remaining

Grand Admirals were killed by the rebellion. Thrawn was not known

as a Grand Admiral because his promotion was a secret that is

mentioned by Mara Jade. But however the book also mentioned

that after the Empire Surrendered which is around 15 years after

Thrawn's Downfall that the First Order was the rest that didn't

surrender. Pealleon was in charge however of a region given to the

Empire by the Republic to honor their treaty. But Disney said they

would not use the Old Books for the plot of the movies and mostly

the new books. So that's your Empire background of the book. I

have read a lot of info on the Old Star Wars so I know what I'm

talking about just if your wondering. If you have any questions

please ask. There's nothing I love better than talking about Star Wars to someone's who loves it to.

P.S: I like to ramble about Star Wars. Mostly how Disney got it

wrong. If you didn't notice people who read the old Star Wars

books know what's going on in the movies and in the new books. If

you read the books and play the games you will know almost know

everything that's going on in Star Wars whether it doesn't or does

include the old books, games, and movies.

-Caleb Hobbick

message 33: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Coffelt | 19 comments This is the same thing as before....just longer. As previously stated breaking it up into paragraphs would be much easier to read than one long, er, ramble

message 34: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Hobbick (chobbick) So are you happy That people can read I. I got some requests to do it.

message 35: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Much more readable.

message 36: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Hobbick (chobbick) So do you guys like the info or no? If you don't then I won't do long bits of information anymore.

message 37: by Francisco (new)

Francisco | 37 comments Hey Caleb,

I think your information is interesting, but I think we are struggling with the presentation a little. What you did the second time around might be a little easier to read, but still a little jarring in my opinion.

Try separating your text into paragraph chunks of 3-5 sentences or so. That way the eyes have little rest stops along the way that make the post as a whole easier to follow. Many of us like to ramble about Star Wars, and I assume we're all readers here, but generally (for me at least) shorter posts are easier to respond to.

On another note, I have never heard of Tyber Zann before, so thank you for introducing me to a new character. I'm willing to bet his name was inspired by Timothy Zahn. I know there are a bunch of "easter egg"/interesting reference Star Wars names out there, like Coleman Trebor (Robert Coleman), Ach Med-Beq (Ahmed Best), or Baron Papanoida (the "papa" in which I think is in reference to Lucas being the father of Star Wars).

Then there's "Elan Sleazebaggano"... nothing shifty about that guy..

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments I think I've heard of Tyber Zann before, Caleb. Won't swear to it, though.

message 39: by Caleb (last edited Jun 10, 2017 01:58PM) (new)

Caleb Hobbick (chobbick) He was a Expanded universe character in the 2008 game Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption for PC. Not many people know about the game or the characters of it. A night sister with a lightsaber whip (really cool by the way. It's yellow.) in the game used by Tyber Zann stole a Sith holocron from him to open a Sith temple that held hundreds of Sith held in carbonite. Also Tyber Zann's one and only friend Urai Fen is never mentioned anywhere else. The species he of him is never mentioned anywhere else besides the game. But Tyber Zann's name was mispelles in the early editions as Tyber Zahn. The game is a strategy game where you control the ships and troops. Realy fun! Look it up for more info

message 40: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments Francisco wrote: "Hey Caleb,

I think your information is interesting, but I think we are struggling with the presentation a little. What you did the second time around might be a little easier to read, but still a ..."

And let's not forget other culturally-related "in-joke" names in Star Wars fiction (Legends, mostly), including Trebor Epoh in the MedStar duology.

message 41: by Amber (last edited Jun 15, 2017 10:20AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments I remember that name, Alex, but I can't remember if it was supposed be an anagram of Robert Hope as in Bob Hope in honor of his work with the USO... .

message 42: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments Yep. It is. And the Sullustan reporter, Den Dhur, had a Sullustan girlfriend named Eyar Marath...clearly an anagram for Martha Raye. :-)

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Another reference to the USO.

message 44: by Alex (last edited Jun 12, 2017 01:37PM) (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments Amber wrote: "Another reference to the USO."

And denture cleaner commercials.....

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Which ones?

message 46: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments Amber wrote: "Which ones?"

Polident.

Also, she's the only civilian interred at Ft. Bragg's cemetery who receives full military honors on November 11. Some people wanted her to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery due to her work with the USO, but she didn't think she deserved that honor.

message 47: by Amber (last edited Jun 14, 2017 12:51PM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments I thought it might have been Polident but I couldn't remember. Someone else who probably should have been buried at Ft. Bragg: George M. Cohan.

He was the vaudeville performer played by Jimmy Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy and received a Congressional Medal of Honor during FDR's Presidential tenure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1rkz... Here FDR is being played by his official double, USN Capt. Jack Young.

message 48: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments Cohan probably merits a place in Arlington National Cemetery, which is where some Americans wanted to bury Ms. Raye. Ft. Bragg is a more modest - but still military - location.

message 49: by Amber (last edited Jun 14, 2017 01:53PM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments I thought Ft. Bragg was closer to where he lived when he was semi-retired.

message 50: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments I am not as well versed about Mr. Cohan's life as I should! :) I'm not even capable of six million forms of communication. :-)

« previous 1